Rum Punch Cupcakes

Hubby and I got married in St Thomas with 23 of our closest friends and family members (we HIGHLY recommend beach weddings!) We had a morning ceremony with lunch immediately after at a restaurant on the beach. After the meal, over half of the bill was for rum punch! Our amazing photographer (Steph Carson – check her out if you need a photographer – tell her Jen P sent you if you contact her – see some of our pics here), caught this picture of the tasty beverages coming out to the table. We love all the pictures that Steph took, but this one really takes us back.

(Photograph by Stephanie Carson)

These cupcakes are inspired by our favorite tropical drink. When I make rum punch at home, I mix cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and coconut rum. So I adapted the Sea Breeze cupcake recipe in Crazy about Cupcakes to make Rum Punch cupcakes. They turned out really good, although next time I’ll put more rum in or some coconut extract.

Rum Punch Cupcakes – makes 12 – adapted from Crazy about Cupcakes
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup cranberry juice
Zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy 3-5 minutes. Add the egg yolks. Beat well.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with juices. Fold in zest.

With clean beaters, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites with a rubber spatula into the batter.

Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Rum Punch frosting – adapted from Crazy about Cupcakes
3 cups confectioners sugar
6 Tbsp heavy cream
1 Tbsp rum
1 Tbsp pineapple juice
1 Tbsp cranberry juice

Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Add additional liqueur or sugar if necessary to reach desired spreading consistency.

Note: This frosting was very thin. I added more sugar, but stopped adding sugar because I didn’t want it to be too sweet.

6 Responses to “Gingerbread Apple Upside Down Cake”

Sophie — January 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That looks delicious!! And perfect for the winter weather.

birdutmasali — January 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I do know and love cooking

Turkey- istanbul much love to youery nice.

Kathleen — January 25, 2010 at 12:38 am

This looks yummy! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

chelsea — May 10, 2014 at 12:18 am

I made this tonight for a birthday and it was truly *amazing*! We all loved it and all the kids came back wanting seconds. I followed the recipe exactly and it came out incredibly moist and gooey, deliciously sweet, and spiced. I used half Granny Smith apples and half Gala. I also only had a 9″ pan and by the time I filled it up I still had enough batter (and some extra apple slices left) to fill another 9″ pan. I didn’t have any extra caramel topping, but decided to just bake the batter with the few left over apple slices. Next time I will double the amount of the caramel topping and cut up two more apples and make two full pans worth. It takes a little bit of time to make, but is not a difficult recipe to follow and is oh-so worth it! Thanks for sharing this!

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

SO glad you enjoyed it! It’s been years since I’ve made this recipe and your comment has me moving it to the top of my to-bake list!

windows 7 starter snpc oa toshiba — December 11, 2017 at 10:52 am

I have been reviewin online more than 4 hours today for windows 7
    starter snpc oa toshiba & Pimento Cheese Burger , yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners
    and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.