Rum Punch Cupcakes

Hubby and I got married in St Thomas with 23 of our closest friends and family members (we HIGHLY recommend beach weddings!) We had a morning ceremony with lunch immediately after at a restaurant on the beach. After the meal, over half of the bill was for rum punch! Our amazing photographer (Steph Carson – check her out if you need a photographer – tell her Jen P sent you if you contact her – see some of our pics here), caught this picture of the tasty beverages coming out to the table. We love all the pictures that Steph took, but this one really takes us back.

(Photograph by Stephanie Carson)

These cupcakes are inspired by our favorite tropical drink. When I make rum punch at home, I mix cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and coconut rum. So I adapted the Sea Breeze cupcake recipe in Crazy about Cupcakes to make Rum Punch cupcakes. They turned out really good, although next time I’ll put more rum in or some coconut extract.

Rum Punch Cupcakes – makes 12 – adapted from Crazy about Cupcakes
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup cranberry juice
Zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy 3-5 minutes. Add the egg yolks. Beat well.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with juices. Fold in zest.

With clean beaters, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites with a rubber spatula into the batter.

Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Rum Punch frosting – adapted from Crazy about Cupcakes
3 cups confectioners sugar
6 Tbsp heavy cream
1 Tbsp rum
1 Tbsp pineapple juice
1 Tbsp cranberry juice

Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Add additional liqueur or sugar if necessary to reach desired spreading consistency.

Note: This frosting was very thin. I added more sugar, but stopped adding sugar because I didn’t want it to be too sweet.

16 Responses to “Coconut Layer Cake Filled with Lemon Curd”

Erica @ Inandaroundtown — April 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

WOW – I would like to have a piece of that cake as soon as possible! looks beautiful and delicious!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This cake looks beautiful and I love the addition of toasted coconut!

Christina — April 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love love cakes with coconut. So delicious.

Maria — April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful cake!

DeliciousDish — April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Totally agree – the more layers the better! The cake looks stunning!

Paula Kelly-Bourque — April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Had I been at your dinner party you wouldn’t have had to cook anything. I would have just completely indulged in this gorgeous cake!

Evan — April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This cake looks incredible! coconut and lemon are two of my favorite flavors; I’m glad you don’t have to choose one or the other with this recipe.

Bianca Garcia — April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This sounds wonderful. Coconut with lemon curd, yummmm!

Taryn — April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks fantastic – so springy and beautiful, and absolutely delish 🙂

ammy 92 — April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

what a wonderful cake!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful cake! I’ve been craving a coconut cake, but I know too many people who don’t like coconut cake that if I made it I wouldn’t have anyone to share. Boo.

Shannon — April 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ooh, fabulous. love the lemon curd-coconut combo, and in a layer cake, fun!!

A Boston Food Diary — April 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OF COURSE 4 is better than 2!!! This looks amazing….I love the idea of lemon and coconut together-and it’s gorgeous!

Aimee — April 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love lemon curd, love coconut, especially love a cake that lets me “frost” the sides with ease. This looks so yummy!!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious cake! I honestly didn’t know a 6 inch was half of a 9 inch….thank you 🙂

Kelly Jaremco — April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I told my girlfriend I would bake her a cake for her birthday this Sunday !!! I got lemon curd and coconut stuck in my brain, so I started googling… which led me to your page !!! This recipie looks almost perfect !!

Couple questions…

Do you think the coconut extract was too strong for the cake, because you also have the browned coconut pcs too? I was considering vanilla bean cake, lemon curd and toasted coconut on the outside… but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough coconut flavour…. your thoughts?

Lastly… what did you use as the frosting to keep the toasted coconut on? It looks like whipping cream…. ?!?!?

Thanks !!!