Inside Out Stuffed Peppers

With last week’s vegetable being bell peppers, the first thought that comes to mind is stuffed peppers (even though I’ve never had them). But, after trying stuffed tomatoes a few weeks ago, I decided that I don’t like stuffing vegetables. They’re difficult to eat and it’s kind of a big effort. Granted, I might do it for company because they look so pretty on the plate.

This recipe is for inside out Stuffed Peppers. It’s basically everything you might see stuffed into a pepper, but it’s all just mixed in a big pan instead. This is much easier and makes this recipe great for a worknight. The flavor of this meal was really good.

Inside Out Stuffed Peppers (from Allrecipes.com)
2 cloves garlic
1 (19 ounce) package Italian Sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 green pepper, sliced
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup frozen corn – I used 1 cup2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cups cooked rice
Salt and Pepper
In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, garlic, and peppers until sausage is browned.

Add tomato sauce, corn and Worcestershire sauce.

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes or until sausage is fully cooked. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot rice.

8 Responses to “Green Bean Casserole”

One Particular Kitchen — December 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm

There is absolutely a time and place for everything! I totally agree. This is such a classic dish, and you’ve made it beautifully. 🙂

Joe — December 18, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Such a great dish. My only complaint is when people use canned green beans. The taste and texture can be killed with canned green beans. I don’t like to hear my green beans screeching while I chew them.

This picture looks delicious, by the way.

nutmegnanny — December 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I love green bean casserole. It’s one of my favorite holiday recipes. Sometimes we spice things up and add browned ground beef to the green bean mixture and top it with mashed potatoes. This makes it more like a dinner casserole and then I can justify eating plates and plates of it…hahaha.

oneordinaryday — December 18, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Ya know, this looks good, but I’ve never been anywhere this was served. Seems I might be missing out?

Jen — December 19, 2009 at 1:14 am

I completely agree with Joe. I always use fresh or frozen green beans.

Karen - Mommy to four sweeties — December 19, 2009 at 6:25 pm

We make this every year too at Thanksgiving and Christmas.My 4 kids hate mushrooms so we use cream of celery or cream of chicken.

Faith — December 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I completely agree, this recipe is perfect (and very nostalgic) just the way it is on the package. It just wouldn’t feel like a holiday meal without this dish!

Dorothy — December 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm

This is one of my favorite holiday side dishes! Canned green beans, soup, and all! I agree with you about having the time and place for such ingredients; it’s such a classic and familiar recipe.