Deceptively Delicious Brownies

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a long time. It’s the spinach and carrot brownies from “Deceptively Delicious” by Jessica Seinfeld. I know there are many newlywed wives who have picky eaters for husbands and a cookbook like this one can help keep their hubbies healthy without them even know it. There are some people have moral objections to sneaking foods into their loved one’s meals. I consider myself lucky that hubby will eat basically anything. So I would never have to think about sneaking veggies into his meals, but I was still very intrigued by the idea that you can put veggies into a dessert and they supposedly go unnoticed.

I made these last night and let them cool overnight. I realized as I was falling asleep that I used unsweetened baking chocolate instead of semisweet or bittersweet. When I tried one, the chocolate taste was a bit harsh. I think that was due to the unsweetened chocolate. I did like the texture and how well they baked up. I had hubby try one and he had a very similar critique. I told him about the chocolate mishap ahead of time. Although he didn’t say anything about it tasting weird (other than the chocolate tasting a little off). When I told him there were veggies in the brownie, he said he couldn’t even tell.

Deceptively Delicious – I got the recipe from Not Quite Nigella
Nonstick cooking spray
3 oz/90g semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree*
1/2 cup spinach puree*
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup oat flour or plain flour – I bumped up the baking powder and salt to account for not using self-rising flour as suggested on Not Quite Nigella
1/2 tsp. baking powder – I used a heaping 1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp. salt – I used a heaping 1/2 tsp

Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.

Coat an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with cooking spray or line with baking paper.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame (or in microwave) In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.

Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.

Created by Jessica Seinfeld
From the book Deceptively Delicious
Makes 12 brownies

I used about 6 oz of spinach which yielded 3/4 cup of spinach puree. For the carrots, I used 3 large handfuls of baby carrots and it yielded about 1 1/4 cup of carrot puree. I’m not sure what I’ll do with my leftover puree, but I’m sure I’ll find something to do with it…

How to puree spinach
PREP No prep at all for baby spinach. For mature spinach, fold leaves in half lengthwise with the stem outside, then strip the stem off the leaf.

COOK Steam for 30 to 40 seconds, or cook in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of water for about 90 seconds, or just until wilted.

PUREE In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.

How to puree carrots
PREP Peel, trim the ends and cut into 3-inch chunks.
COOK Steam for 10 to 12 minutes.

PUREE In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, with a few teaspoons of water if needed for a smooth texture.

14 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits”

Shannon — March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

love your adaptations- and i agree, one-pot meals usually need more veggies!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Not that this meal is in any way healthy, but at least bumping up the veggies (and the servings) reduces the amount of pure indulgence per serving…

Sues — March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Love all the changes you made to this! And I agree- the more veggies, the merrier 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

Megan — March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love that idea to just throw extra veggies in. I always have some leftover unused veggies going bad in the fridge after I’ve used some for a recipe. The biscuits on this look amazing.

Wendy — March 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks rich and satisfying. I love the idea of biscuits on top rather than pie crust. Cream cheese chive biscuits sound especially delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I definitely plan to make these biscuits again some time. They’d be delicious even without the creamy pot pie filling under them.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love the thought of throwing the extra veggies in, i think a lot of people are hesitant to do so. This looks so delicious and satisfying 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Yea when it comes to cooking, I figure there’s no harm in playing with recipes. Baking is another story…

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

My boyfriend, who eats a good portion of the overall meals I cook plus leftovers, hates veggies. This is a problem, because I don’t like food going bad but I can’t eat it all myself. I love recipes like this because it’d probably be SO tasty, he’d hardly even notice the abundance of green. Or he’d pick the peas out. Who knows.

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine hating veggies… But I agree, I think he’d hardly notice the veggies in this. It’s that creamy and delicious.

scott — March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on http://www.myrecipemagic.com they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love that you topped this off with biscuits instead of the traditional flaky crust!

• beantownbaker — March 28th, 2013 @ 6:53 am

Biscuits are always the right answer 😉