Lactose-Intolerant Friendly Mac & Cheese with Broccoli and Cauliflower recipe

This week’s Vindicate the Vegetable is Brocolli. Broccoli is another veggie that hubby and I love to have as a side. Normally, I just steam some fresh broccoli and serve it along the side of any main course. But that’s not very exciting to blog about. I thought I’d try out some of the new cheeses I recently found and make up some mac-n-cheese with cauliflower and broccoli like I saw Rachel Ray make recently.

I really liked this mac-n-cheese. I was so excited to be able to eat a cheesey meal!! The brocolli and cauliflower add some texture and flavor to the mix. I definitely think this recipe would not have been as good without the brocolli.

Mac-n-Cheese – from Rachel Ray
Coarse salt
1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi (corkscrew-shaped pasta) – I used Penne
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets – I used 1/2 head of cauliflower and 1/2 head of brocolli
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter – I used Earth Balance
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
3 cups whole milk – I used soy milk
1 cup chicken stock or broth
3 cups shredded smoked Gouda – I used Sheep milk Gouda and sheep milk cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to season the cooking water, then add the pasta. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked al dente and the florets are just tender. Drain well and return to the pot.

While the pasta cooks, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and heat with the butter until it melts. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to sweat them out and turn the juices sweet. Raise the heat a bit, then whisk in the flour, cayenne, and paprika. Whisk together until the roux bubbles up, then cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in the milk and stock and raise the heat a bit higher to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Once it bubbles, drop the heat back to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the cheese to the thickened sauce and stir to melt it, a minute or so. Stir in the mustard and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Pour over the cauliflower and cooked pasta and toss to combine. Adjust the seasonings, transfer to a large platter, and serve.

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.