Lactose-Intolerant Friendly Mac & Cheese with Broccoli and Cauliflower recipe

This week’s Vindicate the Vegetable is Brocolli. Broccoli is another veggie that hubby and I love to have as a side. Normally, I just steam some fresh broccoli and serve it along the side of any main course. But that’s not very exciting to blog about. I thought I’d try out some of the new cheeses I recently found and make up some mac-n-cheese with cauliflower and broccoli like I saw Rachel Ray make recently.

I really liked this mac-n-cheese. I was so excited to be able to eat a cheesey meal!! The brocolli and cauliflower add some texture and flavor to the mix. I definitely think this recipe would not have been as good without the brocolli.

Mac-n-Cheese – from Rachel Ray
Coarse salt
1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi (corkscrew-shaped pasta) – I used Penne
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets – I used 1/2 head of cauliflower and 1/2 head of brocolli
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter – I used Earth Balance
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
3 cups whole milk – I used soy milk
1 cup chicken stock or broth
3 cups shredded smoked Gouda – I used Sheep milk Gouda and sheep milk cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to season the cooking water, then add the pasta. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked al dente and the florets are just tender. Drain well and return to the pot.

While the pasta cooks, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and heat with the butter until it melts. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to sweat them out and turn the juices sweet. Raise the heat a bit, then whisk in the flour, cayenne, and paprika. Whisk together until the roux bubbles up, then cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in the milk and stock and raise the heat a bit higher to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Once it bubbles, drop the heat back to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the cheese to the thickened sauce and stir to melt it, a minute or so. Stir in the mustard and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Pour over the cauliflower and cooked pasta and toss to combine. Adjust the seasonings, transfer to a large platter, and serve.

13 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”

Cathy B. @ Brightbakes — December 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

wow..great to see a green bean casserole with ingredients that are actually found in nature! 🙂 thank you!
    love,
    cathy b.

Carolyn — December 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I think this homemade version has to beat the pants off the one with canned mushroom soup. I mean, with portobellos and shitakes? Yes please!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve only tried the “classic” green bean casserole for the first time like a month ago and I’m definitely recreating it this weekend – cream of mushroom and all! Yours, however, looks gourmet and unprocessed!

Sinful Sundays — December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i’ve never had Green Bean casserole and want to try it so badly! I may just make the processed version to see how it tastes. Yours looks way more fabulous than I could probably ever get mine to be!

Boston Food Diary — December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummmmm- well done in getting rid of the processed sections and going for the natural approach!!!! Looks delicious!

Melissa — December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never had green bean casserole but this makes me want to try it! Yours looks really good.

stephchows — December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

home made green bean casserole! I didn’t know it was possible! 🙂 Personally I’m in the hate category… but I’d be willing to try this version 🙂

Shannon — December 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

definitely looks better than the “traditional” version!!

Shannon — December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, I am so excited about this! A friend requested green bean casserole for a small holiday party that I’m hosting, but I really, really didn’t want to make the regular version of it. This is perfect!

sabjimata — December 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

everything’s better homemade!

Lulu — December 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This sounds like a very useful veggie side dish come the post-Xmas dinners. I did notice recently that oriental shops also sell roasted shredded crispy onions, if you find yourself very short of time one day (they are not expensive).

Stella — November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Definitely the best green casserole recipe! I’ve been making Alton s recipe for years.

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:51 pm