American Idol and Cupcake Hero collide…

After taking a month off of cupcake hero, I’m back. This cupcake isn’t a creative recipe, but it does use cocoa powder! I have some other more creative ideas brewing in my head that I want to try out for another entry. BUT, I thought it was fitting to submit my Idol finale cupcakes. This is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I actually got the recipe from the CH founder herself. I always add another level of chocolate by throwing in some chocolate chips at the end. They melt just enough to give a fudgey center to the cupcake. This recipe is so good and always turns out perfectly. My little sister has also made them with great success.
I threw these together for an American Idol finale party that I’m going to tonight. I’ve been a David Cook fan from the beginning. There was just something different about him that I was drawn to.
After last night’s performances, I’d have to say that I think David Archuletta is going to win. While this makes me sad, I know David Cook will get a record deal and he’ll be okay. I personally don’t think David Archuletta has what it takes to be a pop star. His voice and style lends himself more towards signing for Disney movies or at King’s Island or something like that. David Cook on the other hand could sell records today. Heck he could have started selling records after he performed Billy Jean a couple weeks ago. Although I do agree with Cooky critics that he may have peaked too early…
I whipped up some cream cheese frosting and added blue and silver sprinkles. And little David heads to the cupcakes. Hubby said the heads were kinda creepy, but I think they’re cute. I would have just put all David Cook heads on, but I figured some people at the party might not appreciate it.

Chocolate Cupcakes – recipe from Quirky Cupcake
Makes 12 to 15 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – I used Ghirardelli cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesuace
1 cup cold water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cup chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a 12-cupcake tin with foil or paper liners and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water, and vanilla.

Mix the chocolate chips and flour in a ziploc bag or tupperware container. Shake until chips are coated by flour. This is prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cupcake while baking.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Working quickly, distribute the batter into the foil- or paper-lined 12-cupcake tin. If you have leftover batter (depending on how high you fill the liners) you can make a few extra cupcakes by using a few foil liners on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Set the cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese at room temp – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/2 stick butter at room temp – I used Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.

Add vanilla extract.

Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

18 Responses to “Shipping Cupcakes in a Jar”

CB — November 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I love it! Where did you get the jars? Now I totally wanna do this for xmas gifts!
    /Clara

Jen — November 9, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I looked everywhere and just couldn’t find them. I ended up ordering them from Amazon. They weren’t very cheap so that was a bummer…

CB — November 9, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Ah bummer. What size are the jars? I wonder if Ikea would have them? Whats the amazon link?
    /Clara

Jen — November 9, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I ordered them from here. You want the wide mouth jars so the cupcakes fit and the 1/2 pint size is perfect.

The yellow cupcakes didn’t rise much so I added more frosting to fill the jar and the chocolate ones rose quite a bit so they had less frosting. My sister said that the chocolate one had the perfect amount of frosting or could use a smidge more, so you want a cupcake that has at least a small dome.

ttfn300 — November 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm

haha, i’ve never seen that before 🙂 love it!

Katie — November 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm

OH FUN! I’ve seriously always thought about doing this and never did. I’m starring this post to remind myself at Christmas. Too cute!!

Janna — November 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I have been dying to try this ever since I saw it last year on someone else’s blog. They actually baked the cake in the jar and then iced it like a cupcake. I am going to have to order some of those iddy jars! Too cute!

Beth — November 16, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Hmmm…might have to do this for Christmas instead of those “ingredients in a jar” thing we were thinking of.

Renée — March 12, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I really want to try this, but I keep reading online that you shouldn’t put frosting in the jar because it will get moldy by the time it reaches its destination. I’m sure you would have heard if it was moldy when it got to your friend right? I would just be so embarrassed if that happened. Any help?

Jen — March 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Renee – I’ve done this twice and both times haven’t heard of any mold. I froze the cupcakes/frosting in the jars prior to shipping them. I also shipped in the winter. My one sister even didn’t go get her package from the office until a week after it arrived and it was still good. I would guess she ate her cupcakes about 10 days after I sent them. I’m not sure if shipping in warm weather will have an impact on potential mold…

Renée — March 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Alright I’ll definitely give it a try then. It will make for a very good Easter present for my faraway friends =)

Jen — March 12, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Oh that’s a good idea!! I might have to order some more jars and do the same myself…

Hillary — June 5, 2009 at 3:25 pm

What a clever idea! I would love to get a cupcake in the mail! 🙂 Maybe I’ll send out Valentine’s Day Cupcakesnext year!

CuteCupcakesAllTheTime — May 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

CuteCupcakesAllTheTime — May 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Love these!! We have featured you on our blog. http://cutecupcakesallthetime.blogspot.com

Pat — February 16, 2013 at 11:19 am

Did you freeze them before shipping? The jars looked frosted…

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I did freeze them. They defrosted as they were shipped. I’ve done it with and without the freezing depending on the weather and whatnot.

PinkSuga — October 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm

What shipping method did you use? Overnight or Express???