Spectacular Cupcakes

I bake a lot of cupcakes. I really enjoy it. When I saw the Cupcake Spectacular blogging event, I knew I had to participate. I had a hard time deciding what my favorite cupcake flavor is… I have a few favorites that I’ve already made, but I wanted to make something special for this event…

I decided to make these vanilla raspberry cupcakes. They turned out perfectly light and fluffy. I am usually a big fan of chocolate, but sometimes a dessert can be spectacular without it. This cupcake is just that.

Hubby has turned into a cupcake connoisseur. As my primary taste tester, he has tried quite a few combinations of cupcakes over the past year. He often helps me make the final decision on how much frosting or what filling to put in a cupcake. He said these were the perfect ratio of cake to filling to frosting. He said they’re definitely one of his favorites!

(And yes, that is pink wood paneling in our dining room that matches the frosting perfectly. Hence the kitchen renovation that will be starting soon).

Vegan White Cupcakes (from Crazy about Cupcakes) – makes 20
1/2 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups unbleached cane sugar
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups soy or rice milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat over to 350F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together the sugar and margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the soy or rice milk. Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.
Raspberry Buttercream – from A whisk and a Spoon – originally from Baking Illustrated – makes 2 cups
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) sugar
1 t vanilla extract
pinch of salt
8 oz unsalted butter, softened but still cool, cut into pieces
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam, loosened with a squirt of lemon juice
1/4 t cinnamon
Bring a few inches of water to a simmer in a medium saucepot. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Set the bowl over the simmering water (making a double boiler). Whisk gently but constantly until the mixture reaches 160°F. It should be thin and foamy.

Transfer the bowl to the mixer and whip until light, airy and room temperature. This should take about five minutes. Reduce the speed and whip in the butter, piece by piece. If it looks curdled halfway through, it should come together as you add the remaining butter.

Once all the butter is incorporated, beat on high speed for about a minute until light and fluffy. Add the raspberry jam and cinnamon and beat until just incorporated. You can refrigerate, covered, for up to five days.
Cupcake Assembly
Once the cupcakes have cooled, fill with about 1 tsp seedless raspberry preserves. I like to use the Cone Method.

Frost with a big dollop of raspberry buttercream.

15 Responses to “Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love blueberries in pancakes and waffles. They’ve gotta be good in cinnamon rolls too!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — August 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yum! I have always wanted to make my own cinnamon rolls but have always been a tad nervous about he process!!! These look amazing with the blueberries!!

P.S. I found your blog today when you posted that you were from Boston on Tina’s blog! I am from just outside of Boston too!

nicole — September 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

these look amazing. I love cinnamon rolls, and this combo sounds great!

Kelly Delafield — October 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Can you tell me how to make the frosting?

Maureen — April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I love the blueberry, I tried swapping them with raspberries and they were just as good if not better. Love the base recipe.

Aimee — July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I made these today cheating with crescent roll dough. They were amazing!

cindy chisholm — February 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Da bomb! Brilliant, as well as yummy:)
    Thank you! I will make an impression at brunch tomorrow..lol

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Made these for Easter breakfast (blueberry cinnamon rolls, hardboiled eggs, and thick sliced ham slices). What a delicious treat! I don’t know if I’ll ever go back “regular” cinnamon rolls again! I cut the recipe in half. Perfect amount for my husband, myself, and 3 teenaged boys. Honestly, I can’t say enough about this recipe. These rolls are worth every minute spent making them. To avoid having to get up so early, I saved the second rise for the morning. After slicing the rolls and placing them in the greased pan, I covered them tightly with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge overnight. I took them out of the fridge and let them set at room temperature to rise for about an hour before placing them in the oven. They were perfect! Thanks so much!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!! I’ve done the second rise the next morning as well.

Robin — April 26, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Forgot to mention that a step was left out of the recipe: it never tells you to sprinkle the rolled out dough with sugar and cinnamon mixture (& 2 T flour?).

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the recipe to reflect this.

Karina — June 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi there – I was wondering if this dough would be okay to freeze? I’m a novice when it comes to anything baking related!

Glennis — July 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I found that the cinnamon was over powering. I will add 3 tsp next time 4 Tablespoons was way to much.

Diane — July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Is there any kneading involved???