Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

My dad came to visit a couple weeks ago to meet his first grandchild, baby B. It was a fun weekend with great weather. Since I rarely see my dad, I decided to bake him something special while he was here.

Now my dad loves rhubarb. Absolutely LOVES it. So naturally, I decided to make something with rhubarb. Another thing my dad loves is pie. I’m actually not a huge fan of pies. And I’m not really sure why. Maybe it’s because you can’t really taste test it before putting it out for everyone to enjoy. I definitely get a boost of confidence when I can actually taste something first.

But even without the taste testing, this pie turned out amazing. I baked it a couple days before we served it and just left it at room temperature covered in foil. I served it with vanilla ice cream and everyone enjoyed it. The only substitution I made was to use 1/4 tsp cardamom instead of the orange peel since I didn’t have any oranges on hand.

This was my first lattice pie crust and I have to admit I think it turned out pretty darn nice looking! I just rolled out the pie crust and used a sharp knife to cut strips. Then I started in the middle and worked my way out.

Be sure that you don’t overlook the step where you let the strawberries and rhubarb sit in a colander for an hour. It will release a lot of juice from the fruit. If that juice was in the pie, it would make the bottom crust very soggy and the pie would probably be a soupy mess. Sorry for not having any pics of a slice of this pie, I took it over to my brothers and we ate it there. You’ll just have to make it yourself to see what the insides look like! It would definitely be worth the effort.

Check out my SECOND week of Strawberry Recipes HERE

Print Save

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Yield: serves 12

1 recipe basic pie dough
2 cups diced fresh rhubarb stalks
3 cups diced fresh hulled strawberries
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup cornstarch
very small pinch of salt
1 beaten egg

In large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, and 1/2 c. sugar. Toss to combine well and set into colander over sink or bowl and let drain for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pie plate. Roll out 1/2 recipe of dough and line bottom of pie plate.

In large clean bowl, combine strawberry and rhubarb that have been drained with remaining sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, pinch of salt and cornstarch. Toss to combine well and add to pie shell, smoothing out evenly.

Roll out remaining pie dough and lattice top the pie filling.

Brush lattice with beaten egg and place pie into oven. Let cook for 20 minutes, then place a piece of tinfoil loosely over the top. Continue cooking until filling is cooked through and bubbling, about 50 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.

Recipe adapted from Good Things Catered

12 Responses to “Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’m like you and totally try out recipes based on photos! I think goat cheese and fruit are always a perfect combo. The goat cheesecake sounds intriguing!

Lauren — September 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Looks and sounds amazing! I’m totally with you about photos of food – they are typically what tempt me to make a recipe.

Amanda — September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This cake looks DELICIOUS!

I’d never heard of using goat cheese in a cheesecake, but I’m intrigued.

I, too, much prefer pictures. Sometimes you just don’t put the ingredients together in your head the right way and it comes out looking totally different than you expected. I also flip through the book faster and I tend to not find recipes unless there are pics!

Beeb — September 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i think trying something new without any idea what it should look like it rough. i love pictures but most cookbooks dont seem to have enough. i think thats why i love this blog so much, you take TONS! 🙂

i am very intrigued by this recipe. but i dont eat blueberries or peaches. is it good by itself? or is the fruit greatly needed??

Jen — September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Beeb – It’s similar to any other cheesecake. It was good on it’s own, but the fruit really enhanced the flavor. Are there other fruits you like that you could top it with? Strawberries and blueberries would be great!

We Are Not Martha — September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh yum! I totally want to try this. I love goat cheese (and fruit) and bet this would make an amazing cake!

I like photos too, but sometimes I get a little too into them. Like the other night when I forgot to add raisins to my cinnamon raisin bread because they weren’t in the photo 🙂

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I definitely prefer recipes with pictures but if a description is really good (or intriguing) or if an author points it out as a favorite… or lastly if it’s a source I trust, I go for it. With that said, I’m glad you made it and posted pictures. This cake looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic!!!

flavourfulbounty — September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks really good. I agree that sometimes I eat with my eyes. I love photos, but not the ones that look almost fake since they are so perfect. That’s why I love food blogs – usually it is just the food as it will be served.

I cook from a lot of different sources, and will try recipes that are appealing without any pics either. Sometimes it is more difficult when I am completely unfamiliar with the dish, though.

Ingrid — September 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Photos! I love yours…the “cake” looks so pretty with it’s white lip and fruit piled high.

Cara — September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sounds wonderful. I can see how it would be more of a “cheesecake” than a “cheese cake” because there’s such a small amount of flour. As we move into fall, I bet it would be delicious with a topping of figs sauteed with honey… mmm… honey figs and goat cheese!

Shannon — September 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

LOVE goat cheese cheesecake 🙂 peaches and blueberries seem like another good topper (i recently made one with figs and raspberries!)

Jay — February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i really have to bake that cake for my boyfriend who has a milk intolerance. thank you for posting this many recipes with goat cheese 🙂
    best wishes, jay, my blog: