Easter Candy Bites

This month’s Master Baker theme is Easter candy. At first, it sounds like it might be easy to bake something with Easter candy, but I had a hard time coming up with something. I wanted to highlight one of my favorite Easter candies. I planned to use either Starburst Jelly Beans, Peeps, or Cadbury creme eggs. The creme eggs are my absolute favorites and I prefer the mini-eggs because they are bite size and less messy. The big eggs are also a lot of sugar to handle all at once.

Immediately I thought of putting a Cadbury egg in a cupcake. But since the eggs are so sweet, I thought it would be overkill. Instead, I came up with this idea. It was a trial and error effort. I found out that if you bake creme eggs, the inside gets hard. I wanted the creme filling to remain in it’s gooey goodness state. I found a solution on the third try.

Cadbury Egg Bites – Adapted from Allrecipes.com – makes 18
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
15 unwrapped mini Cadbury creme eggs

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. The dough should be somewhat firm. Roll into 18 small balls (I used a cookie scoop), place them on a plate and refrigerate for one hour.

While dough is chilling, unwrap creme eggs and put into a bowl in the fridge.

Press the chilled dough balls into the bottom and up the sides of tart pans or mini muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven. IMMEDIATELY upon removing from oven, push one mini-egg into each cup. Push them in as far as you can.

Allow to cook 5 minutes in the pan before removing to a cooling rack. These are best enjoyed the same day they are prepared.

11 Responses to “Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Bars”

stephchows — October 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm

mmm they look so super moist!

Cupcake Activist — October 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Yum! Those look really good! I’ve never tried white chocolate with pumpkin.

nutmegnanny — October 28, 2009 at 1:41 am

Wow white chocolate and pumpkin! What a delicious combination…yum!

Erin — October 28, 2009 at 2:02 am

I made those last year, and MAN OH MAN aren’t they good!

Sweet and Savory — October 28, 2009 at 4:01 am

I have in the oven, a chocolate-pumpkin streusel brownie. Now, I want to make this too.

You have great recipes. Thanks.

The Novice Chef — October 28, 2009 at 4:03 am

These look delicious! And I totally do not blame you for having a couple before taking them to give away!

bridget {bake at 350} — October 31, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I love that you ate 2 while you were cutting them! 🙂 That sounds familiar!

They look wonderful!

Tessa — October 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm

These are the same bars I made, but I added cinnamon chips per recommendation from Maria at Two Peas in their Pod. They were great! Glad to see they turned out well for you too!

Ingrid — November 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I totally agree I’m not crazy about chocolate and pumpking together. Another great flavor with pumpkin (in my opinion) is gingerbread.

I’m definitely adding this to my list of pumpkin recipes that will be baked from here until the kiddos say no more! 🙂
    ~ingrid

Jade — November 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I love making bars. These look amazing. I will definety try these soon!

Jessica — October 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I made these last night to take tailgating at a college football game tonight and they are SO yummy! I used semisweet chips instead of white chocolate, but I bet they’d be good either way! I’m Really glad you warned that the mixture might look like it curdled after adding in the pumpkin, because I think it would have freaked me out and I would have thought I did something wrong!