Cookies-N-Cream Cupcakes – Take 2

After making Cookies-N-Cream cupcakes with my sister only a few weeks prior, I was still thinking about how they could be better and wanted to give them another shot.

Oh my goodness – these cupcakes are amazing. My hubby said they were the best thing I’ve ever made. Intern boy at work said they were the best baked good he had ever had. And I have to admit they’re pretty damn good. I think it’s the Oreo on the bottom that makes them so good.
Cookies-N-Cream Cupcakes – Take 2
(Recipe adapted from here, Original recipe from: Cupcakes! By the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn)
24 paper liners for cupcake pans
30 Oreo cookies – I used Double-Stuffed
1 pkg plain white cake mix
1 cup sour cream – I used low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used ΒΌ c oil and ΒΌ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 large eggs – I used egg-beaters for 1 egg and 2 regular eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350 and line the pans with paper liners. Count out 12 Oreos and separate the top and bottom wafers. Make sure each half has some icing on it. Place one wafer, icing side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. (I had a hard time opening them and getting frosting on both sides, so I just put the side with frosting in the cupcake paper and put the other side in a bowl to crush and put in the batter).

Crush the remaining Oreos by any means you like. I put them in a Ziplock and smash them. Set the crumbs aside.

Place the cake mix, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and beat again on medium about 1.5 minutes more. Measure out 1 1/2 cups crushed Oreos and fold these into the batter. Set the rest of the crumbs aside for garnish.

Fill your liners 3/4 full with batter and place the pans in the oven.

Bake the cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes until they are golden and spring back when lightly touched with your finger. Cool in the pan on wire racks for about 5 minutes and then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
I used frosting out of the freezer that I had from previous cupcakes. I stirred in some crushed Oreos and frosted cooled cupcakes. Garnish with Oreos.

Nutritional Information coming soon.

45 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies”

Becca — September 28, 2009 at 2:25 pm

These look fantastic and are so festive!

The Woman — September 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Oh my, these look divine! I recently made something similar, but with no chocolate – just a pumpkin batter with cream cheese topping. But I definitely think I must try these too.

ABowlOfMush — September 28, 2009 at 3:15 pm

These are absolutely beautiful!

Carrie — September 28, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Look wonderful!

oneordinaryday — September 28, 2009 at 4:54 pm

These look awesome. I just wish it made a bigger pan!

Jen — September 28, 2009 at 4:56 pm

They’re pretty rich, but I would imagine you could just double it and make it in a 9×13 pan if you wanted!

Ingrid — September 28, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I made pumpkin spice brownies on Friday and they were delish so I bet these are EVEN BETTER! Thanks for sharing and I’ll be following your tweaks!
    ~ingrid

Justin — September 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm

i always make a pumpkin cheesecake in the fall with a ginger cookie crumb crust, but i’m liking the chocolate component in your recipe even more.

Mia — September 28, 2009 at 5:49 pm

oh yum – love pumpkin, and the chocolate/pumpkin combo looks wonderful!

Heather@BFM — September 28, 2009 at 6:03 pm

These look great! Is there a way I can make them non-dairy? Something I can sub the cream cheese for? Thanks!

Jen — September 28, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Heather – I’ve had great luck subbing Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese in cheesecake recipes in the past. I think that would definitely work and you could use Earth Balance in the brownie portion. Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Jennifer — September 28, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Hi Jenn! I just wanted to let you know that you won the giveaway on my blog last week. I emailed you, but never got a response. Could you email me your mailing address to jennharton@paducah.com. I have to pass it along to myblogspark so they can send you your prize package!

Heather@BFM — September 28, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Thanks, Jen…I’ll let you know how they come out!

nutmegnanny — September 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm

OH wow these do look delicious! I love all that swirled pumpkin…yum!

Nina — September 29, 2009 at 4:29 am

Those look amazing!

Irene — September 29, 2009 at 7:14 am

Wow, I love these! My husband would die of happiness of I made these for him – pumpkin cheesecake is his favorite thing for fall.

thereddeer — September 29, 2009 at 12:25 pm

They look like tiger fur – very cool! What an interesting flavour combination.

Colleen — September 29, 2009 at 6:26 pm

We love these at my house! I like your idea of dark chocolate – I will have to try that next time.

stephchows — September 29, 2009 at 7:16 pm

beautiful! And they look so delicious!! I agree I don’t normally think of pumpkin with chocolate… but you have me convinced!

Stephanie Wagner — September 29, 2009 at 11:55 pm

The tops of these are a work of art! Love it!

Nancy @ Live love laugh — September 30, 2009 at 12:34 am

Three of my favorite thi ngs in one dessert! Chocolate and pumpkin and cheesecake! How perfect…
    ~Nancy

Nancy @ Live love laugh — September 30, 2009 at 12:34 am

~Nancy

tagskie — October 1, 2009 at 8:00 am

hi.. just dropping by here… have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

Pantry Raid Blog — October 6, 2009 at 2:58 am

The side-view shot totally won me over. These look delicious!

bakingsimplicity — October 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm

This looks so yummy.
    I now know what to make for the office potluck!

Skylar Wolfe — October 12, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Those look amazing. I love pumpkin with chocolate, I plan on making these soon.

fawkes — October 14, 2009 at 5:14 am

Your brownies look delicious! I am curious since I would like mine to taste more like pumpkin pie than plain pumpkin should i add pumpkin pie spices or follow your recipe for the spices?
    Thanks!

Jen — October 14, 2009 at 12:03 pm

fawkes – There are a decent amount of spices in the pumpkin portion of the batter. I would recommend making is as the recipe states, then taste it before you pour it into the pan. Maybe then add some pumpkin pie spice if you’d like.

lifeoftheparty — October 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I made these over the weekend and they were scrumptious!! I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin but this recipe is now a fall staple. I plan on making them for the family on Thanksgiving…thanks for sharing this!

strmywthr3 — October 21, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I made these the other day and they were great! a hit at work! yum! thanks!

malelanie — October 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I stumbled across your blog from a Facebook friend and made these brownies last night. DELICIOUS!! I doubled the recipe and it does just fit in a 9×13 pan and took about 60 mins to bake. It’s worth the wait for them to be chilled in the fridge. The flavors are even more delicious that way.

Dorothy — October 29, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Oh YUM! And gorgeous, to boot. I never thought pumpkin and chocolate go together either, until I tried it! πŸ™‚ Now I’m hooked. Good idea to double up on the cheesecake layer…you can never have enough pumpkin cheesecake after all!

nutmegnanny — October 30, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Thank you so much for participating in our event! These brownies look amazing. They say Halloween to me for sure!

Shortcake — November 2, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I made these– now I love them! Will be repeated each fall πŸ™‚

Lexi — January 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Amazing! I loved these so much I played with them a bit and made cranberry cheesecake brownies for my christmas baking.(I didn’t stumble on to these till christmas.) I’ll let you know when I put those up on my blog! With credit to you of course!

Jen — January 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Lexi – cranberry cheesecake brownies sound very intriguing. Can’t wait to see them.

Kasey — March 3, 2010 at 1:37 am

Hi Jen! I made these for Heather@BFM’s (comment listed above) birthday and she loved them! Unfortunately I could not find the Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder (I tried 3 stores) so I had to make them with the regular cocoa powder. Can you tell me where you found the Hershey’s Special Dark??

Jen — March 3, 2010 at 1:57 am

Kasey – I have actually had a hard time finding it as well. I had actually all but given up on it until one day it caught my eye at the grocery store. I proceeded to buy all three containers. I would say just keep an eye out for it and good luck!

Pup Wanna Be — September 28, 2010 at 12:35 am

1/2 cup of flour seems like very little. Is that correct?

Jen — September 28, 2010 at 12:50 am

Pup – Yes, that is the correct amount of flour. Most brownie batters have very little flour in them.

rachellehcar — September 29, 2010 at 1:39 am

Just made these- delicious! I only had the milk chocolate powder, so I’m excited to try it again with the special dark powder.

Courtney — September 13, 2012 at 6:35 am

I doubled the recipe and it perfectly filled a 13×9 pan so you might try it. πŸ™‚ And they are amazing. Also I used margerine not butter and found they were more moist. Happy Baking!

Reggie — May 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’m
    going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you
    continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

wahyud — June 18, 2013 at 2:09 am

thank you for sharing your interesting and helpful information πŸ™‚
    please, visit my web:
    obat asam urat

alyssajade23 — October 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I made these with my nieces and over all they were pretty good, but something about the pumpkin part tasted off. Still, fun and festive to make!