White chocolate mocha cupcakes

The theme for this month’s Cupcake Hero is coffee. Since white chocolate mocha is one of the favorites of the judge this month, I decided to make white chocolate mocha cupcakes. After making these cupcakes, I wasn’t satisfied with the flavor… To clarify, everyone loved the taste of this cupcake, they just didn’t taste white-chocolate-mocha-ey. They tasted gingerbread-ey. I plan to make another cupcake to enter into the Cupcake Hero.

White Chocolate Mocha cupcake (adapted from White Chocolate Cupcake in Crazy about Cupcakes – original recipe shown below with my changes in Italics) – makes 24
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips – I used 4 oz white chocolate + 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/3 cup water – I omitted the water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp instant espresso, divided

Preheat oven to 325. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

Combine the milk and vinegar in a cup. Set aside for at least 5 minutes. Combine the vanilla extract with 1/2 Tbsp instant espresso and set aside.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

Combine 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and the water in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until melted, stirring continuously. Here, I used a double boiler to melt the 4 oz of white chocolate.

Add the vanilla and white chocolate mixture to the creamed mixture.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and 1.5 Tbsp of instant espresso.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk-and-vinegar mixture, beating for 1 minutes after each addition. Fold in the remaining white chocolate chips. Note: to prevent the chips from all sinking to the bottom of the cupcakes, roll them around in a bowl with 2 Tbsp flour prior to adding them to the batter.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

For the White chocolate buttercream, I used the same recipe that I have used before for the White Chocolate Blueberry cupcakes I made last summer. I sprinkled the cupcakes with some ground nutmeg. I think this may have also contributed to the gingerbread-ey flavor.

14 Responses to “It’s a boy! Dipped Oreo Pops”

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Cute idea and they look so easy to make. Must try.

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

And the stick makes them perfect for milk dipping.

jess @ pen n' paperflowers — May 13, 2010 at 6:48 pm

oh my…i’ve tried my hand at these and just about every oreo ended up cracking when i tried to insert the stick. *frowny face* not even dipping the sticks first seemed to help? do you have any suggestions on how to slide them in without any hiccups. *wink*
    thank you SO much for your help…yours came out adorable!

We Are Not Martha — May 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Wow, these are such a great favor idea! They look easy, but impressive (and delicious)!

Sues

Sarah — May 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I am loving all of these new parents/new baby posts, because friends of ours just had a baby boy last week and I can just do everything you’re doing! 🙂

Jess@pen – are you using Double Stuffed Oreos? If you’re using regular Oreos, maybe the center isn’t thick enough to support the lollipop stick between the cookie ends. Or maybe the lollipop stick isn’t thin enough (do they even make different sizes?). Just thinking out loud. Good luck. 🙂

Jen — May 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm

jen@pen – I agree with Sarah, be sure to use double stuff Oreos and thin sticks. You’ll notice that the craft store has at least two thicknesses of sticks. You want the thinnest ones. I did slide the sticks in slowly but didn’t have any issues with breaking cookies.

Kara — May 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Why must this kind of thing be posted when I’m trying to lose weight? 😉

Kim @ Frost Me! — June 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

YUM! I love the idea of doing the initial on them!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

Shawnda — February 22, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just choose to tell you a piece of writing is really as awesome. All of the picture quality in your own place is definitely fascinating and are able to feel you’re an experienced for this idea. Fantastic along with your agreement i can to seize ones give food to to continue modified together with upcoming publish. Thx one million and you need to maintain this worthwhile succeed.

facebook.com — August 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Awesome post.

Pam — February 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

How far ahead can you make these and will the Oreo get soggy ?

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

We made them a week in advance and the Oreos did not get soggy.

Christina — March 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I can totally see the hiccups @jess, the Double Stuf Oreos have a far more thin and brittle cookie than the original Oreos. They crumble, split and crack very easily, I would imagine irregardless of stuffing volume, the structural integrity of the original Oreo cookie would hold up better for this project.

Lana — January 29, 2016 at 3:40 am