Scallop Mango salad

Hubby and I want to start eating more salads as entrees. I saw this in a recent copy of Cooking Light and thought we’d give it a try. Neither of us had ever cooked with sea scallops before, but they are really easy to cook.

This was a great salad but needed a little something more. Perhaps if we had mango chutney that would have provided what was missing (we used a sliced mango instead). Also, this salad will not keep well, so next time we’ll make 1/2 the recipe for just the 2 of us.

Caribbean Grilled Scallop Salad (from Cooking Light) – Serves 412 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tsp fish rub, divided
cooking spray
5 (1/2 inch) slices fresh pineapple
4 cups gourmet salad greens or mixed salad greens
4 cups torn Boston lettuce (about 2 small heads)
1/3 cup diced peeled avocado
2 Tbsp mango chutney – we didn’t have any chutney, so we just diced a mango
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp olive oil

Prepare grill to high heat.

Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp fish rub evenly over scallops. Coat scallops with cooking spray. Place scallops on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done.

Remove scallops. Add pineapple to grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side. Remove pineapple from grill; chop pineapple.

Combine salad greens, lettuce, pineapple, and avocado in a large bowl.

Chop large pieces of chutney. Combine chutney, lime juice, olive oil, and remaining 1/2 tsp fish rub in a small bowl. Add dressing to salad, and toss well. Place 1 1/2 cups salad into each of 4 bowls. Arrange 3 scallops over each salad.

9 Responses to “Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto”

Joelen — September 3, 2009 at 4:24 am

This combines 2 of my husband’s loves – shrimp and cilantro! Love the ice cube trick too!

Ingrid — September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Yum, I love shrimp! Hadn’t thought to flavor it with pesto. Warm crusty bread would be yummy with it!
    ~ingrid

stephchows — September 3, 2009 at 7:10 pm

OH WOW so simple and so beautiful! I need to make myself some pesto cubes for moments like these 🙂

Kerstin — September 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm

What a delicious and easy dinner! I’m lucky if I’m home by 8:30, so I completely understand needing quick recipes! I’ll have to try the frozen pesto trick.

bec — September 4, 2009 at 3:06 pm

i just made my first batch of ice cube pesto from our basil forest. neil panics every time i make pesto. he needs verification that i have not used up too much basil. if i use 10% of what is in the garden, then we are in the safety zone. let it grow back, use another 10%. at the end of the season, we will have 9000 cubes of pesto in the freezer and neil will be happy. totally jealous of your new stove, btw. i want a griddle!

Kat — September 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I love the frozen pesto concept! I have a lot of basil, but there are only two of us in my house and we can only eat so much. I will have to try this. The shrimp looks great.

Justin — September 11, 2009 at 12:23 am

this looks great, and it really can’t get much easier

Jori Hodgson — January 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Hi there! Love this idea. Great job!

I was wondering where I can find pesto? Also, do you have any ideas for sides that would be good with this? I’m not familiar with pesto’s flavor and I want to surprise my husband with something 🙂 Thanks!

Jen — January 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Jori – I make my own pesto using this recipe.