Death by chocolate (Oreo Truffles)

OMG these truffles are amazing. I could really eat almost all of these. My heart would probably stop about 1/2 way through the batch, but these guys might be worth it. I made hubby promise not to eat too many when he takes them to work.

You can dip these in any flavor of chocolate that you like. My plan was to do 1/2 in dark and 1/2 in white, but I burnt the white chocolate in the microwave. I did 1/3 in dark chocolate, 1/3 in milk chocolate, and 1/3 using the chocolate/caramel swirl chips. The caramel ones were hubby’s favorite, and I’m always a fan of dark chocolate.

The original recipe for these guys comes from Kraft.com but I found this recipe from Chris of Mele Cotte. Chris recommends using condensed milk instead of cream cheese so that you don’t have to refrigerate the truffles.

Oreo Truffles – made ~100 for me
1 package Oreos
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
melted chocolate of your choice

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

Crush oreos using a food processor. I put about 12 cookies in at a time.

Add vanilla and milk. Stir until ingredients come together. Work quickly to form the mixture into small balls and place on cookie sheet. Put into refrigerator to chill (for easy dipping).

Melt the chocolate using your favorite method. I like to use the microwave. I also added some vegetable oil to the chocolate to thin it out.

Dip chocolate balls into melted chocolate and put back on cookie sheet.

I put them in mini-cupcake liners so they’re easier to handle. Everyone loved these little guys.

7 Responses to “The Ultimate Whoopie Pies”

bcallegra — February 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

What a cute idea! As always, you’ve provided the inspiration for what I’ll make this weekend as a dessert.

PS – Using leftover pulled pork from your recipe to make nachos as well!

Laura — January 31, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I love this! I’m new to baking so I’m wondering: when you pipe the batter onto the pan, how much batter do you use for each one? I’m just wondering if I should make them thin, or will they spread out? Thanks 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. They spread out a little bit, but not too much. Did you end up making them? How did they turn out?

Laura — February 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm

They turned out great! my first few tests, i made them too big with too much batter, and they were pretty huge. I was surprised how little batter you need, and they are so nice and fluffy 😀
    I couldn’t find marshmallow frosting, so i ended up making my own.. turns out its pretty easy! thanks again! they were a huge hit!

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2014 @ 10:56 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

Kristina B — January 17, 2016 at 7:22 pm

How far in advance can you assemble them? I was hoping to do so at least two hours ahead of time. Thank you.

Trina and Tina — January 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm

We discovered these yummies while on the hunt for the perfect Suberbowl treat! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing!