Crockpot Red Curry Chicken with Butternut Squash

I decided to clean out some cabinets in our kitchen. I found all sorts of random ingredients that I want to try to use up. One of those random ingredients is a can of coconut milk. I think the intent was to make some coconut margaritas that never got made. So I decided on this crockpot recipe from Cara. Hubby and I both really enjoyed it, although I tend to prefer crockpot recipes where you just throw everything in and forget about it. This recipe did require a bit of prework but it was fine since I was working from home that day.

Crockpot Red Curry Chicken with Butternut Squash – from Cara – originally from William Sonoma1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, dived – I used one red and one orange
1lb butternut squash, peeled and chopped – I used one 20 oz pkg pre-peeled and chopped
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 6oz each
1/2-1 tsp each cinnamon, ginger, and cumin
salt & pepper
2 tsp red curry paste
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp fish sauce
juice from 1/2 lime
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp flour
fresh basil or cilantro, for garnish

Place the onions, peppers, and squash in the bottom of the crockpot.

Cut the chicken into small pieces and toss with the cinnamon, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper. As I said, I did not measure, but I am pretty liberal with my seasonings. I would say, use a little less cinnamon than ginger and cumin. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and saute the chicken for a few minutes on each side, until browned.

Place the chicken in the crockpot. Combine the curry paste, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, coconut milk, and broth in a blender and process until smooth (I just whisked everything in a bowl). Pour over the chicken and vegetables.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir flour into 2 tbsp of water until no lumps remain and gently stir into the liquid in the crockpot. Increase heat to high and cook for another 20 minutes to thicken. Garnish with basil or cilantro.

13 Responses to “Chicken Gyros”

yumventures — July 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love making a bunch of different recipes and having them come together in one awesome meal! This looks so delicious, especially with the heat we’ve been having!

Manne — July 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Next time I come over, I insist we either have these delicious looking Gyros or go to the Turkish restaurant you talked about.

We Are Not Martha — July 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Wow, I love that addiction to the stove! Your chicken gyros look super flavorful and like the perfect hot day lunch!

Sues

Lauren — July 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love that every aspect of this meal is homemade… yum! What is the name of the Turkish restaurant? I need to check it out :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 9, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I just made something similar and they were great! LOVE the sauce! Thanks!

biz319 — July 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Can’t wait for you to post the recipe – I am putting it on my menu for next week. 😀

I used to make tzatziki sauce too -until my grocery store started selling it for .99 cents for a 16 ounce container – so cheap!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I love me a traditional, good, lamb gyro- but these look delicious! I might have to break out of my comfort zone 🙂

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Julie — July 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

We definitely have to try these…yum!

brettb734 — July 11, 2010 at 2:46 am

Those look delicious, I will have to try those!

Sheena — July 13, 2010 at 12:20 am

Can the pita bread dough be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight? I want to make these tomorrow for dinner but will not have time for the 90 minute and then 20 minute rise times. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Cara — July 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

welcome to the bandwagon! love Elly’s recipe!

Jen — July 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Manne – sounds like a plan

Lauren – It’s called Brookline Family Restaurant and it’s on Washington St in Brookline Village. Definitely check it out if you’re in the area.

Sheena – I’m not sure about freezing the pita bread dough. I’m sure it would be fine as other bread doughs can be frozen and used later. Let me know how it goes if you try it!