Google Reader is going away…

So I’m sure this is old news to a lot of you, but Google Reader is going away on July 1, 2013.

This is incredibly sad for me. As an early adopter of all things Google, I have been using GR for years now. My system for saving recipes includes adding a star and tags to indicate the kind of recipe it is. GR is the first place I go when trying to decide what to make next…

As a reminder, you can always subscribe to Beantown Baker via email. That way new posts appear in your Inbox shortly after they are published. If you are interested in that option, simply add your email address to the box that says “Keep in Touch” on the right.

You may be wondering what I’m going to do to replace Google Reader. Based on the reading I did, I decided to go with Feedly, although I have encountered some bugs with it already…

Here are the issues I have had:

First, upon importing my data from GR, it imported my folders, but not my tags. As I mentioned above, I have a TON of posts tagged. Hundreds. Maybe even thousands. This was potentially a deal breaker for me until I found some help in the comment of this article. Following the instructions listed HERE, I was able to copy and paste my tags into Feedly. Score.

However, the next time I logged in to Feedly on a different computer, the tags weren’t there again. To fix this, I simply opened Feedly on the computer I had first loaded the tags in to, copied them and emailed them to myself. Annoying, but easy enough to implement.

So once my posts were reflecting their tags, I was ready to start using Feedly instead of Google Reader. However, I found that I had to log in every time I went to use it. Even though I use Google Chrome with the Feedly extension. When it did log me in, my tags and the preferences I had set for the appearance were gone again. This issues seems to have gone away recently, so maybe Feedly has been getting some updates

At this time, I’m going to continue to try to learn to love Feedly. But really, I just wish Google Reader wasn’t going away…

19 Responses to “Week of Kitchen Renovations: Spice Rack”

Jennifer — January 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE those spice jars! And the storage for it. I wonder if we could do something like that in our kitchen….

Julie Q — January 7, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Before I read the sprinkles comment, I was uber eager to find out what spices you were rocking over the sink! Great idea 🙂

Jeanette — January 7, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Love the idea! What a great use of the space. Thank you for sharing.

Cathy — January 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm

your spices were the first thing I noticed when you started showing pics. I love it! I sort mine in alphabetical order, so it’s a little easier for me to find them.

Jen — January 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I wanted to alphabetize, but Hubby isn’t the most organized person so I’m not sure how long they would stay organized since he does most of the cooking in the house.

carrie1 — January 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm

What a great idea! Yesterday when I was looking at the pictures I thought it was tile. (thats the blonde in me) =)

Laura — January 7, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I love it! That is such a neat idea.

Ingrid — January 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I LOVE it! I’m intending to “revamp” my kitchen this spring and add a back splash but wasn’t certain what other changes I might want to add. I’m going to show this to my honey and keep this in mind. Thanks!

Oh, and Happy New Year!
    ~ingrid

~ Kristie — January 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Your renovation posts have me dreaming of updating our kitchen. I absolutely LOVE the backsplash and shelf!

Sheltie Girl — January 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm

This is a fabulous idea. I love how you color coordinated the different spices across the shelf. It’s very practical and gives your kitchen a very stylish presentation.

Natalie @ gluten a go go

Katie — January 7, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I love that idea! I looks so great with all of the different colors of the spices and sprinkles. And talk about handy, they are so easy to reach!

mamakrystal — January 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Love your kitchen posts…the spice & sprinkles jars are what stands out to me..aside from the backsplash. You have such a cutesy kitchen!!!

nutmegnanny — January 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Oh my! I love love love love it!!! I just sent and IM to my boyfriend that said “I want to do this in our kitchen”…haha.

Megan — January 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm

That is a gorgeous display of spices… I would love to do something like that!

lifeandkitchen — January 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I love that idea! The spices add such good color to your kitchen (and extra space, i would guess!).

Michelle Rago — January 7, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thank you ahead of time for building this in my kitchen when I get my own place.

Amanda — January 9, 2010 at 3:36 am

From all your renovation posts…the spice jars are my favorite. I can’t believe there are 60! I wish I could figure out some place to do that!

kermiefrg — January 25, 2010 at 1:58 am

I love your spice display! It must be so convenient to have everything right there whenever you need it. AND it looks fabulous in the room!

SpiceRack — April 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Spice Rack
    I’m amazed on the way you created your own spice rack. It really complements your kitchen design, much more it helps in organizing various spices.