Cuban Sandwich Eggs Benedict for a Virtual Baby Shower

Today is a special day for Krystal over at Mrs Regueiro’s Plate. You see, Krystal and her husband Eric are expecting a baby and today is their Virtual Baby Shower Fiesta (hosted by Joelen). Since Krystal is Filipino and Eric is Cuban, they requested that everyone “bring” something either Filipino or Cuban. Be sure to check out the entire roundup of recipes here.

As most of you know, Hubby is Cuban as well, so I was excited to try out a new Cuban recipe that he would enjoy. My original plan was to make some Cuban bread. I’ve never had it and Hubby tells me it’s awesome. But since Hubby is out West snowboarding this weekend, I decided that would be mean to bake it when he was gone. Maybe some other weekend.

I started thinking of other Cuban dishes that I could tackle on my own (honestly, Hubby does all the Cuban cooking in our house). Then a brilliant idea popped in my head – Cuban Sandwich Eggs Benedict! Well I should really call them cuban sandwich inspired… I left out the pickles because pickles are the one food I refuse to eat. Blech. I also used American cheese because that’s what I had on hand. And I didn’t use any hollandaise sauce cause I just don’t really like it.

Whatever you call this, it’s amazing. Someone out there should put this on their menu. The saltiness from the ham and pork gets cut by the creaminess of that runny yolk. And you get just a little tanginess from the mustard.

Print Save

Cuban Sandwich Eggs Benedict

Adding a poached egg to anything is always the right answer

Yield: Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 english muffin, split in half
yellow mustard
2 slices ham
2 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup (~3 oz) leftover pulled pork
1-2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 eggs
freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Prepare the eggs benedict
First toast the english muffin and place two halves on your plate.

Spread mustard on top of english muffin.

If you're using pickles, place them on top of the mustard.

Add one slice of ham and one slice of cheese to each half of the english muffin.

Reheat the pulled pork in a microwave safe dish and put half onto each slice of cheese.

To poach the eggs
Set a pan of water on high until boiling. While the water is boiling, break one egg into a small glass or bowl.

Add 1-2 Tbsp white vinegar to the water and swirl with a spoon to create a whirlpool affect. Gently drop the egg into the center of the whirlpool, turn the heat to medium, and set the timer for 3 minutes.

When the timer goes off, use a slotted spoon to remove the egg. Place the egg on plate with a paper towel to drain the excess water. Repeat the previous step with the second egg.

Once both eggs are poached, place one on top of each muffin half and top with freshly ground pepper.

Recipe from Beantown Baker

19 Responses to “Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting”

Megan — January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ll take any leftovers! They sound amazing. I keep saying dessert recipes with bacon and bookmarking them, but I haven’t tried any yet. Adding this one to the list now too. 🙂

ann — January 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These look so terrific. I love the flavor combinations!

Blog is the New Black — January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m intrigued!

KV — January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

interesting! I have a recipe for chocolate bacon fudge or maybe pb bacon fudge but I’m afraid to try it

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The frosting sounds amazing. I honestly still can’t bring myself to get behind bacon in desserts. Maybe someday I’ll try a bacon cupcake if I’m given one though. 🙂 I can only resist so long.

Jennifer — January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

YUM! These look so good! I haven’t tried the bacon / sweet combo yet, but I’m sure I would love it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks delicious but I’ve got to ask….what is a pirate party?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fun and Fearless – It’s exactly like it sounds… Everyone dresses up as a pirate (or something related – Hubby and I went as Treasure maps last year). They even hire this guy who looks like Captain Jack Sparrow to come and there’s a prize for best costume. One of the best parties of the year!

Cupcake Activist — January 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sounds great! The problem I’ve seen with bacon is that sometimes it is chewy in cupcakes. That’s not good. I like that this recipe says to cook until crispy. Extra crispy for me!

Laura and Alex — January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My favorite candy bar is bacon chocolate!!! I can’t wait to try this 🙂

Carrie — January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look and sound amazing!

Shannon — January 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh yum. after putting bacon in last years cookies this might need to be next 🙂

Corrine — January 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m so curious to try bacon in baked goods, but do you think turkey bacon would work?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Corrine – I’m sure turkey bacon would work if you could get it nice and crispy. I’ve heard that if the bacon isn’t super crispy, it has a really weird chewy texture in baked goods.

Corrine — January 14, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to give it a try!

Evan Thomas — January 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This has just about everything that I would want to go together. Awesome recipe!

Medifast Coupons — January 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is certianly a unqiue mixture of tastes and textures, but it comes together nicely. Definatly a must try!

darcyeats — January 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Chocolate..caramel…bacon…PERFECTION.
    I am infatuated with the perfect smoky/salty addition of bacon into sweet baked goods. So delicious. Of course, I’m kind of a fan of adding bacon into just about anything.
    Great pics, def wanna try these out!

kitchenmisfit — January 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Sorry the cupcakes didn’t turn out like you wanted. Have you ever tried the bacon/chocolate cupcake at Cherry Bomb Bakery in Brighton? They are fantastic!