Pumpkin and Ginger Beer Biscuits

I rarely make biscuits. They’re really easy to throw together but I just don’t think of it. I saw this recipe on Foodgawker and it caught my eye. Mostly because it had ginger beer in it.

I have been loving a good Dark and Stormy recently. The fizz and spice from the ginger beer is awesome. You can taste that same fizz and spice in these biscuits. (confession – I’m not sure that you can actually taste fizz, but Hubby and I both thought these biscuits tasted fizzy, so just go with it).

We snacked on these biscuits while they were still warm with some melted butter. They were perfect with subtle hints of pumpkin and the taste of ginger (and fizz).

One Year Ago: Brasato al Barolo (Beef Braised in Wine)

Print Save

Pumpkin and Ginger Beer Biscuits

Yield: 10 biscuits

1.5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
A pinch of fresh nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup ginger beer
Milk, for brushing

Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 9x9 pan and set aside.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, powdered sugar, nutmeg, and ginger together in a large mixing bowl. Form a well in the middle and add cream and pumpkin puree. Using a pastry cutter or a knife, begin to cut wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Gradually begin to add ginger beer until there is enough to form a soft dough. The mixture should hold together but not be sticky.

Working quickly and gently, gather dough together on a floured surface. Try to handle the dough as little as possible, using lightly floured hands to stop dough sticking to you, and pat the dough into a rectangle about 3/4 inch thick. You can lightly knead the dough with your hands but be sure not to overknead it.

Cut out rounds and place next to each other in the prepared baking pan. Brush tops with milk then bake for 12-15 minutes, or until scones are cooked through and golden on the top.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cover with a tea towel until you are ready to serve. Serve warm with butter, or jam & cinnamon whipped cream.

Recipe adapted from Raspberry Cupcakes

11 Responses to “Biscuits and Sausage Gravy”

oneordinaryday — December 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’ve actually never had biscuits and gravy, but this sounds yummy, so I would definitely like to try it. I never realized it was so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

Manne — December 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Wait – that’s all it takes to make biscuits and gravy?

I want that now

carrie1 — December 15, 2009 at 8:14 pm

mmm….. I just decided I am going to make this on Thursday when my boyfriend gets home from sea. =)

Thank you for sharing. =)

Ingrid — December 15, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I’m with One Ordinary Day! You’re the third or so blog in the past day I’ve seen post about biscuits and gravy. I’d say that’s a sign!

Jeanette — December 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Yummy is all I can say!

BeeKayRoot — December 16, 2009 at 12:01 am

I just moved to Southwestern Virginia a few months ago, and biscuits and gravy are an everyday delicacy around here.

Lorie — December 16, 2009 at 2:40 am

A couple of tips from my grandma…use hot sausgae because it gives it a TON of flavor without making the gravey actually hot. (The milk and flour tone it down)

And to avoid the whisking, after browning the sausage, add just the flower. It will make a roux from the fat that has cooked out of the sausage. THEN turn it on high and add the milk. No whisking, no lumps. I guarantee it! ;D

Julie — December 16, 2009 at 4:39 am

Sounds perfect! We went to some breakfast place on Sunday and I had sausage and biscuits on my mind, and they didn’t have any! How can they even call themselves a breakfast place??

Ingrid — January 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Hi, my children just finished eating your biscuits and gravy. All three of them loved it. I loved it as it was super easy and fairly quick to make. Thanks!

sprouts farmers market colorado — May 1, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hi there! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs
    up for the great info you have got right here on this post.
    I can be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

trey songz death of autotune lyrics — May 18, 2013 at 7:13 am

Hiya! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the
    good data you have got right here on this post. I will likely be coming
    again to your weblog for more soon.