Halloween Cupcakes using Fondant

Remember when Megan and I had the chance to play with fondant thanks to the lovely people at King Arthur Flour? While we were at it, we figured it would be fun to do some Halloween cupcakes decorated with fondant. Megan had wanted to do the ghosts and I suggested adding the mummies as well.

Since I baked up our cake layers, Megan baked the cupcakes and made the frosting. The mummies were pretty simple to assemble. We spread a small amount of buttercream on top of the regular sized vanilla cupcakes. Then, fondant was rolled to a thin thickness. We used a knife to cut thin strips of fondant to lay on top of the buttercream. There’s really no rhyme or reason to how you lay them on there, I stuck with straight lines and an X across the bottom. I was sure to leave a small opening for the chocolate eyes.

The ghosts came up next. Megan made mini cupcakes for us to use for the ghosts. We each tried (and decided on) a couple different methods for giving our ghosts some height. I went with the stacked approach. I frosted all of my mini cupcakes. Then I unwrapped half of them. I stacked the unwrapped cupcakes on top of the wrapped cupcakes to build a tower of mini cupcakes. Using our thinly rolled fondant, I cut out a large circle of fondant. I simply draped the circle of fondant over the top mini cupcake and draped it down the side. Megan melted some chocolate for us to add eyes to our ghosts.

Playing with fondant was a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to doing it some more in the future. Be sure to check out some more detailed instructions and other ideas on the King Arthur Flour website. And go check out Megan’s method for making the ghosts.

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

14 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits”

Shannon — March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

love your adaptations- and i agree, one-pot meals usually need more veggies!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Not that this meal is in any way healthy, but at least bumping up the veggies (and the servings) reduces the amount of pure indulgence per serving…

Sues — March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Love all the changes you made to this! And I agree- the more veggies, the merrier 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

Megan — March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love that idea to just throw extra veggies in. I always have some leftover unused veggies going bad in the fridge after I’ve used some for a recipe. The biscuits on this look amazing.

Wendy — March 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks rich and satisfying. I love the idea of biscuits on top rather than pie crust. Cream cheese chive biscuits sound especially delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I definitely plan to make these biscuits again some time. They’d be delicious even without the creamy pot pie filling under them.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love the thought of throwing the extra veggies in, i think a lot of people are hesitant to do so. This looks so delicious and satisfying 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Yea when it comes to cooking, I figure there’s no harm in playing with recipes. Baking is another story…

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

My boyfriend, who eats a good portion of the overall meals I cook plus leftovers, hates veggies. This is a problem, because I don’t like food going bad but I can’t eat it all myself. I love recipes like this because it’d probably be SO tasty, he’d hardly even notice the abundance of green. Or he’d pick the peas out. Who knows.

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine hating veggies… But I agree, I think he’d hardly notice the veggies in this. It’s that creamy and delicious.

scott — March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on http://www.myrecipemagic.com they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love that you topped this off with biscuits instead of the traditional flaky crust!

• beantownbaker — March 28th, 2013 @ 6:53 am

Biscuits are always the right answer 😉