Halloween Cupcakes using Fondant

Remember when Megan and I had the chance to play with fondant thanks to the lovely people at King Arthur Flour? While we were at it, we figured it would be fun to do some Halloween cupcakes decorated with fondant. Megan had wanted to do the ghosts and I suggested adding the mummies as well.

Since I baked up our cake layers, Megan baked the cupcakes and made the frosting. The mummies were pretty simple to assemble. We spread a small amount of buttercream on top of the regular sized vanilla cupcakes. Then, fondant was rolled to a thin thickness. We used a knife to cut thin strips of fondant to lay on top of the buttercream. There’s really no rhyme or reason to how you lay them on there, I stuck with straight lines and an X across the bottom. I was sure to leave a small opening for the chocolate eyes.

The ghosts came up next. Megan made mini cupcakes for us to use for the ghosts. We each tried (and decided on) a couple different methods for giving our ghosts some height. I went with the stacked approach. I frosted all of my mini cupcakes. Then I unwrapped half of them. I stacked the unwrapped cupcakes on top of the wrapped cupcakes to build a tower of mini cupcakes. Using our thinly rolled fondant, I cut out a large circle of fondant. I simply draped the circle of fondant over the top mini cupcake and draped it down the side. Megan melted some chocolate for us to add eyes to our ghosts.

Playing with fondant was a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to doing it some more in the future. Be sure to check out some more detailed instructions and other ideas on the King Arthur Flour website. And go check out Megan’s method for making the ghosts.

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

16 Responses to “Strawberry Champagne Layer Cake”

Sabina — December 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it looks delicious!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — December 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful cake! I can’t get over the ending either, too soon!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Right! It happens every year, but I feel like this year flew by especially quickly.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — December 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Wow – super gorgeous!! I’m so glad you love this cake as much as I do! Happy Christmas and almost New Years, doll!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Happy Holidays to you too!

Nutmeg Nanny — December 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and I bet it tastes divine 🙂 can’t wait to try it!

Shannon — December 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

definitely perfect for new years! i can’t believe this year is almost over, either- crazy!

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

this is perfect for our holiday-the Florida strawberries have been so sweet – thank you

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

I wish I lived somewhere where the strawberry season was longer than a few weeks…

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I was just thinking, what if we made this w/pink champagne?

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I think it would be great with pink champagne!

Jennifer Essad — January 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I know what you mean we grew up and lived in Michigan all our lives. When our kids were little I would take them to the farms to pick blueberries, raspberries and apples. The strawberry season was always short or not at all due to the wet springs we so often had. But we did get farm fresh ones at our local farm market. I now live in Central Florida where I’m learning so much about fresh grown foods. We live a few blocks from Oviedo where DUDA farms are. They are known especially for their celery but so many other fresh veggies. We have a few local farms where you can pick strawberries and blueberries. The gulf coast really has a lot of strawberry farms. On Tuesday our local Publix store had Florida fresh strawberries on sale. I just cleaned them last night (I think my husband took about 1/2 of them to work) We are fortunate, but I still miss Michigan and all the farming communities in our area.

• beantownbaker — January 4th, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Wow – I bet things in FL are very different than Michigan! We can usually get strawberries at the farmers market as well. But again, it’s SUCH a short season. Last year we missed it completely. I’m still adjusting to the different seasonal timing in Ohio vs what it was in Boston. We always make a point to pick strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples. Peaches and strawberries are two of my favorite summertime fruits.

sell my car bristol — January 29, 2014 at 1:21 am

Woah, thanks a bunch for sharing!

Jason — April 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I made this cake for my girlfriend’s surprise birthday party, and it was freaking delicious. Granted this was my first cake I have ever baked, but there wasn’t enough frosting to cover the whole thing and keep part of the actual cake from showing through. I don’t even like cake, and this was bomb!

Breda Fuller — December 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This CAKE IS THE BOMB!!!!, I found this online in 2014. I showed it to my twin sister, I said, I won’t this for our B-Day, but we didn’t have it until September 2015, and again this year. So delicious, my son Loves it as well, we’re making it tomorrow December 28th 2015 for his birthday. Yummmmy!