Friday Faves – Big Flavors From A Tiny Kitchen makes Thai Chickpea Soup

This week I’m featuring Ashley from Big Flavors From A Tiny Kitchen for my Friday Favs. I remember being really drawn into this blog due to the photography. As you can see, it’s pretty amazing. One of my favorite things about Ashley’s blog is the star rating that she provides. A simple scale of 1-5 tells readers how much she enjoyed the recipes she shares.

My name is Ashley and I’ve been blogging over at Big Flavors From A Tiny Kitchen since 2006. I started blogging because I needed a creative outlet outside of work, and I figured that we had to eat, so I might as well keep it interesting. I was an insanely picky eater as a child, and since I moved to New York, I’ve been experimenting with a lot of different types of cuisines and ingredients. I challenge myself to try foods that I would have been afraid to try as a kid, and it keeps things really interesting at the dinner table.

My blog features a wide range of food – a lot of vegetarian and vegan options, comfort food, various ethnic dishes (like Indian, Italian, Chinese, Persian and Thai), crockpot recipes and some repeated favorites. I cook a lot of healthy fare but am definitely not afraid to break out my deep fryer. I post everything that comes out of my kitchen – the good and the bad. Luckily, we’ve only had a few flops. My husband and I rate everything on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, and everything that gets a 5 also gets the “wow” tag. Today I’m going to share one of my most recent “wow” recipes.

This is the second recipe that I made from the Alice’s Tea Cup cookbook, and it was fantastic! The flavor was a lot more complex than I was expecting it to be. The coconut milk added a nice creaminess to the soup, and even though it was a very broth-y soup, it was still filling. It was smooth and spicy, and the tangy lime juice finished it off really nicely. Every few bites, you get some chickpeas, which was a welcome bit of texture. We really loved this!

Print Save

Thai Chickpea Soup

Yield: 8-10

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced jalapeño pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 medium stalk)
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium to large onion)
8 cups good-quality chicken stock (we recommend Imagine brand)
One 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
One 13.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes (we recommend Muir Glen)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Two 13.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the butter in a medium sauté pan over low heat. Add the jalapeños, celery, and onions, and sauté until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes (take care not to burn them).

Combine the vegetables with the stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lime juice in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or until they are heated through. Add salt and peppers to taste, and serve.

Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars

Be sure to check out all of my favorite bloggers as they are featured on Friday Favs!

17 Responses to “Friday Faves – The Small Boston Kitchen makes Cranberry Risotto Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms”

Lauren — January 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m not a huge mushroom fan, but the cranberry risotto sounds absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the idea, Katie :).

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

What a great recipe Katie!

Daisy — January 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I am in awe of your description of mushrooms. that recipe is awesome and so is the idea to cook them in butter and red wine! if non mushroom lovers are not converted after this post, there is no help for them!!

Erica — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Jennifer — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I am a huge mushroom lover. This recipe sounds wonderful!

In and Around Town — January 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am a HUGE fan of mushrooms, I put them in everything! This will probably be dinner tonight!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — January 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m definitely with you in the first camp, though I will tell you – I’ve converted the boyfriend into a semi-mushroom lover, so maybe there is a person who lies a bit in between after all! This looks heavenly.

Smitten Sugar — January 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I am definitely not a mushroom lover but this recipe looks amazing!

Megan — January 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Katie can make these for me anytime! Great recipe and great guest post!

Josie — January 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

OMG this combines so many of my favorite things into one dish! I’ve already added it to next week’s menu. Thanks so much for introducing me to a fun new blog!

Melissa — January 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’m on the verge of being a mushroom lover – when raw the texture creeps me out but I’ve discovered I love the flavor and like them when cooked. I would love to eat this dish!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? That can only mean the risotto must be extra creamy!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? I think that just means this risotto must be extra creamy!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Jen for including me in your Friday Faves and for saying such nice things about my writing! This dish was fun to make and was really good on a cold winter night. Thanks all for the comments! Even those from the mushroom haters 🙂

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Aren’t portobello mushrooms the best? So many different things you can do with them!

John at BOS — January 9, 2011 at 2:14 am

What more Can I say, a combination of my favorite ingredients… Mushroom and risotto! It’s nice to see a lot of mushroom recipe’s this past few days.

Kerstin — January 10, 2011 at 5:03 am

What a creative recipe, I love it! Definitely the perfect way to kick off your cool Friday Favs feature 🙂