Operation Baking Gals – Round 25 is Open for Registration

I’ve been an OBG slacker recently. Life got busy over the summer so I took a break. I’m gearing up to have teams lined up for all of 2011 though, so be ready for that! If you know someone who is deployed and would like for me to sponsor them, please email me.

If you’ve never heard of Operation Baking Gals, check out the website. Basically, a team of bakers get together to send goodies to soldiers stationed overseas. Even non-bakers sign up in the fun to send care packages. Then the soldier being sponsored by a team shares all their goodies with his/her buddies. The shipping dates for Round 19 are November 1-12.

This round, Team Beantown Baker will be sponsoring Ryan. Ryan is originally from Gorham, Maine who has two sisters. Ryan enjoys watching sports with friends, outdoor activieis, golf and travel. He has golfed at St Andrews in Scotland when he was stationed over in London.

Ryan is currently deployed until April of 2011. Ryan’s birthday is in November, so be sure to wish him a Happy Birthday in your care package!

Please consider joining Team Beantown Baker to send goodies to Ryan in Afghanistan. I will be doing a roundup at the end of the round, so be sure to send me any info/pics that you want included in the roundup. Email me if you have any questions.

If you’d like to join my team,
1) go to http://www.bakinggals.com/ and Log In or Create a New Account
2) go to Join a Round 25 Team
3) join Team Beantown Baker to bake for Ryan (if the team is full at 20 people signed up, please consider signing up for another team)
4) wait for an email with the shipping address

If you have any questions, check out the Operation Baking Gals FAQ page.

Also check this out.

You can get a special flat rate box from the US Post Office. The boxes are FREE and you can ship the box with anything in it for a flat rate of $11.95. They are specifically for APO/FPO addresses and say “America Supports You” on them. How cool is that!

13 Responses to “Alton Brown’s “The Chewy””

Bridget — March 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Aren’t they the best? They’re so addicting. I’ve actually starting using the same ingredients, but mixing them like a more traditional chocolate chip cookie (i.e., softened butter instead of melted), because I like the dough better with softened butter. The baked cookies were just as good. Best of both worlds!

Laure — March 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

These look gorgeous. Don’t you just love AB??? 🙂

Julie — March 6, 2009 at 4:06 am

The cookies look great. I love AB too..he’s such a dork (in a good way).

CoCo — March 6, 2009 at 5:50 am

I love the ATK/CI Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. I will have to try these to see what I think. I remember seeing that the recipes looked similar so I am sure I will love them.
    Another AB lover here. My husband gives me a hard time about my DVR list with him but loves it when I give him a fun tidbit or cook him something from AB.

Jen — March 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I completely agree CoCo. Hubby does the same thing. I sometimes even watch episodes I’ve seen before! Hubby doesn’t like to admit it, but he loves AB too. Sometimes he’ll be the one saying “AB says to do this…”

foodess — March 9, 2009 at 3:38 am

They look SO good!! I am a sucker for a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Although, I must side with your hubby – I prefer mine with just a bit of chocolate.

Naomi — March 9, 2009 at 6:46 am

How much is a stick of butter? I’m not in the US and have never come across this measurement before.

Jen — March 9, 2009 at 11:08 am

Sorry about that Naomi – 1 stick of butter = 8 Tbsp. Does that help?

Dani — March 9, 2009 at 11:46 am

this is very similar to the ccc recipe i use, but anything that makes it chewier is good in my books! i will have to keep this one in mind 🙂

Naomi — March 13, 2009 at 10:05 am

Yes Jen, thank you!

Allie — June 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yum! I will definitely be trying these. I always chill my cookie dough too usually because I’m too busy with 3 little ones but I also read that article in the NY times awhile ago and I felt like I deserved a nice big pat on the back for always doing the 24hour chill 🙂 Great post and beautiful cookies!

Susan — June 23, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I love Alton Brown because of his scientific approach to cooking and baking. I’ve been baking “The Chewy” for years. One thing I do differently: Before chilling the dough, I scoop it into balls. This makes the process much easier. Sometimes I freeze the balls for baking later. After I place the balls on parchment, I carefully place a few extra chocolate morsels on top, pointy side up. This extra step produces picture-perfect cookies every time.

Desiree — July 2, 2016 at 1:56 am

The Chewy is my go to recipe for cookies. I make a few alterations, occasionally, such as substituting 1/4 of the brown sugar with dark brown sugar. I bake small portions in mini muffin tins; one batch makes 48 cookie bites that are super chewy and the perfect size bite. I’ve made them every year for Christmas gifts for a few years now.