Pie Crust

I’m going to be posting the recipes I used for my pie competition over the next couple of days. The first thing needed when baking pies is a crust. I’ve actually never made full sized pie crusts before. I went with a William Sonoma recipe that is similar to most pie crust recipes out there. I used butter flavored Crisco and the crusts turned out flaky and delicious. I made 4 crusts even though I only needed 3 just in case I needed that extra one.

See WS link for ingredient list for 1 pie crust and for food processor method. I made sure everything was VERY cold before making my crusts. I measured the ingredients into bowl and put them in the freezer for 45 minutes. I also put my mixing bowl and pastry cutter into the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Pie crust – from William Sonoma
For a 9-inch double-crust pie:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
6 to 7 Tbs. cold water

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and toss together. Add the shortening. With your fingertips, 2 knives or a pastry blender, blend the ingredients together, working quickly, until you have a mixture of tiny, irregular flakes and bits about the size of coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle on the water, 1 Tbs. at a time, stirring gently with a fork after each addition. Add just enough water for the dough to form a rough mass.

With floured hands, pat the dough into a smooth disk (or into 2 disks, one just slightly larger than the other, if you are making a double-crust pie). The dough is now ready to use. It is not necessary to refrigerate the dough before rolling out (unless you included some butter), although for convenience it may be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

12 Responses to “S’mores Brownies”

Boston Food Diary — October 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

whoa…I think I’m speechless! I have seen S’mores Brownies before, I have even tasted them- in well known restaurants- and these look 100% better and tastier! Well done- I might be knocking on your door for a taste!!!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

here is another smores recipe I just saw… if you are looking for more smores recipes!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

it would help if I gave you the link…. lol enjoy!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I just saw your photos and seriously almost drooled. You never cease to amaze me Jen!

Jen — October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

vickdn – I saw that smores biscotti this morning! Looks great.

Fun and Fearless – don’t get any drool on your monitor!

Eliana — October 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m not surpsied everyone at your work loved these. They look amazing!

newlywed — October 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Wow! These look like a great excuse to buy a kitchen torch!

Lindsay — October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! I love love love s’mores. I even make them in the winter using the gas stove, so this recipe is definitely going to make it on my list of ones to try 🙂

kitchenmisfit — October 10, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to make them!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

I love S’mores brownies! The combination of all the flavors, in a less messy bar form, make me smile 🙂

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

stacey — January 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’m making them right now..It seemed that during cooking one row of my graham crackers started to rise to the surface of the brownies…and the center is still undercooked but the edges are cooked.. I hope they turn out ok…They look awesome