Pie Crust

I’m going to be posting the recipes I used for my pie competition over the next couple of days. The first thing needed when baking pies is a crust. I’ve actually never made full sized pie crusts before. I went with a William Sonoma recipe that is similar to most pie crust recipes out there. I used butter flavored Crisco and the crusts turned out flaky and delicious. I made 4 crusts even though I only needed 3 just in case I needed that extra one.

See WS link for ingredient list for 1 pie crust and for food processor method. I made sure everything was VERY cold before making my crusts. I measured the ingredients into bowl and put them in the freezer for 45 minutes. I also put my mixing bowl and pastry cutter into the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Pie crust – from William Sonoma
For a 9-inch double-crust pie:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
6 to 7 Tbs. cold water

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and toss together. Add the shortening. With your fingertips, 2 knives or a pastry blender, blend the ingredients together, working quickly, until you have a mixture of tiny, irregular flakes and bits about the size of coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle on the water, 1 Tbs. at a time, stirring gently with a fork after each addition. Add just enough water for the dough to form a rough mass.

With floured hands, pat the dough into a smooth disk (or into 2 disks, one just slightly larger than the other, if you are making a double-crust pie). The dough is now ready to use. It is not necessary to refrigerate the dough before rolling out (unless you included some butter), although for convenience it may be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

9 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Pie”

Lauren — June 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Fantastic job with the lattice top! The pie looks awesome :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — June 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

It does look really pretty. I’ve never had the patience to do a lattice top. It sounds delicious!

Sherry G — June 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m furious with myself for still never having a rhubarb pie! This is truly a good looking pie; very rustic and pretty!

bcallegra — June 30, 2010 at 1:43 am

Truly a work of art! I’m kind of intimidated by pies so I’m in awe of your pie making skills. That pie looks like it’s ready for a magazine cover! 🙂

nutmegnanny — June 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites 🙂

Jen — July 3, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine is in the oven as I type. Hopefully, it comes out half as good as yours!

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just have to thank you for this recipe!! It’s the first time I’ve made a pie that wasn’t all runny when cut. I was so happy to have pieces that stayed intact!!
    Also, I didn’t need the foil at any point – the crust didn’t overbrown, it was just perfect.
    I’ll be using this again and again!

Victoria — March 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

can i omit rhubarb and just put strawberries? will it make a difference?

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I haven’t tried using this recipe with just strawberries. You might want to cut back on some of the sugar. Rhubarb is very tart, so you always have to put a lot of sugar into rhubarb recipes.