Pie Crust

I’m going to be posting the recipes I used for my pie competition over the next couple of days. The first thing needed when baking pies is a crust. I’ve actually never made full sized pie crusts before. I went with a William Sonoma recipe that is similar to most pie crust recipes out there. I used butter flavored Crisco and the crusts turned out flaky and delicious. I made 4 crusts even though I only needed 3 just in case I needed that extra one.

See WS link for ingredient list for 1 pie crust and for food processor method. I made sure everything was VERY cold before making my crusts. I measured the ingredients into bowl and put them in the freezer for 45 minutes. I also put my mixing bowl and pastry cutter into the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Pie crust – from William Sonoma
For a 9-inch double-crust pie:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
6 to 7 Tbs. cold water

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and toss together. Add the shortening. With your fingertips, 2 knives or a pastry blender, blend the ingredients together, working quickly, until you have a mixture of tiny, irregular flakes and bits about the size of coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle on the water, 1 Tbs. at a time, stirring gently with a fork after each addition. Add just enough water for the dough to form a rough mass.

With floured hands, pat the dough into a smooth disk (or into 2 disks, one just slightly larger than the other, if you are making a double-crust pie). The dough is now ready to use. It is not necessary to refrigerate the dough before rolling out (unless you included some butter), although for convenience it may be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

12 Responses to “Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I love, love, love how serious your distinction is between chewy puffy vs. chewy thin vs. crispy thin cookies. It makes me smile.

Jen — January 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Like I said, I’m weird about cookies 🙂

Cupcake Activist — January 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I love molasses and chocolate chip cookies. Great idea to put them together. I like chewy thin cookies.

Blog is the New Black — January 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I don’t like flat cookies, either! i like fat, soft ones! (TWSS)

Daisy — January 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm

If f anyone is entitled to be weird abotu cookies it is you. these look yummy, I’m all about flat and chewy!

Megan — January 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm

One of my co-workers makes a ginger chocolate chip cookie that I was surprised to find I liked. These seem like they’d be similar.

Shannon — January 4, 2011 at 12:13 am

sometimes responses from friends and family is all you need! there’s always the next batch for you to love 🙂

innochkaskitchen — January 4, 2011 at 2:39 am

Hmmm so I love chocolate chip cookies…and my husband LOVES molasses cookies…I wonder if this is our perfect compromise…
    Great recipe!

cookingwhims — January 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm

These look and sound amazing–I’ll have to try these 🙂

ann — January 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

These look great. It’s hard to find a good Molasses Cookie.

Jo — January 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love these cookies because I am the worst person at remembering to take butter out to soften and with these I don’t have to worry about that. I made my first batch with milk chocolate chips and my second with butterscotch chips (since my FIL can’t have chocolate) and they were both wonderful. The 8 year old finds them too tangy – so more for me 🙂

Julsey — January 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Best. Cookies. Ever. Making them for a 2nd time today and mailing half to my friend in Colorado who desperately needs a pick me up 🙂