Weekly Avon Walk Update

Every week I’m going to provide a quick update on how my Avon Walk training is going. If you’d like to see my full training calendar, check it out here or on the left sidebar of my blog. The calendar shows the recommended training plan found on the Avon website going forward. As I complete workouts, I will update the calendar with what I actually did. So if you look at a previous date, it will show what I did that day.

I’ve decided that to prevent myself from getting bored with just walking, I’m going to mix things up a bit. I’m going to stick to the endurance walks on the weekends. Those will be key to training my body to be able to handle ~40 miles in two days. The rest of the weeks consists of 2 shorter, faster walks and 2 cross training days. The two shorter walks are primarily for cardiovascular training, so I’ll either do walking as recommended or other cardio training (I really enjoy the elliptical). For the cross training, I plan to do a class at the gym or weight training. This will help strengthen my core so that my body can handle the long walk.

Also, our gym is a 0.4 mile walk from our house. I’m not going to count that in my total mileage. I look at it as a warm up and cool down. I can’t wait until it’s warm enough out for me to start walking outside instead of on a treadmill!

Miles walked last week: 6.8
Minutes doing cardio: 70
Minutes doing cross training or weight lifting: 0

Thoughts on training so far: I’ve been reading that some people get blisters easily and others don’t. I must fall into the first category. I’ve already had 2 blisters this week. One on each foot but in different places. I’m definitely going to learn a lot about how to prevent and treat blisters over the next few months!

Total $$ raised: $550

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far! If you’d like to donate to support my walk, you can make a donation on my Avon Walk page. If you donate at least $5 by the end of January, you will be entered to win a very cute tote.

13 Responses to “blog {really} interrupted”

Stephanie — July 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Welcome back! Glad to hear that things are going so well for you, and even happier to hear that you should be posting some new stuff soon. Also, good for you for taking the time you need. We women don’t say “no” enough and often we end up suffering because of that.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

Thanks! It’s good to be back.

Shannon — July 30, 2014 at 7:48 am

Glad to hear you’ve taken some time for yourself! Sounds like you’ve been able to take advantage of the time off and things are going well 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

It’s great to be back.

Beth — July 30, 2014 at 7:54 am

so good to hear from you…was a little worried…very glad things are GREAT!!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Didn’t mean to worry anyone! It’s good to be back.

Vickii — July 30, 2014 at 8:53 am

Welcome back! We’ve missed you! Glad all is well and we look forward to some new recipes soon 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Thanks! It’s good to be back.

Cathy — August 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Glad you’re back!!! And thanks for the honesty…can’t wait to see all you share!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

Thanks! It’s good to be back.

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — August 18, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Sounds like these past few months have been filled with lots of great things! Good for you for taking time off. I completely understand; I’ve been MIA from blogging for awhile due to a move. How I’ve missed it! I’m hoping to get a post up soon and was planning to post pics of what I’ve been up to lately, too. Looking forward to more posts from you, Jen!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Thanks! Sometimes life just really gets in the way of our little hobbies, huh?

Sarah C — September 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

So excited to see you back in action! I can appreciate the honesty around working on your relationship – my husband & I are coming up on 12 years together ourselves (married for almost 6), and I agree that things can get pretty tough! We did a few months of counseling to see if we could work through things, & while we still have some work ahead, we’re doing a lot better now. So glad that whatever you guys have done, it’s been helpful!

Can’t wait to try the Food Lab cookies. 🙂