Chocolate Mousse

Hubby claims he’s not a big dessert guy. Or a big chocolate guy. I have a hard time believing that because no matter what I bake, he always wants a bite. But even after everything I’ve made, this chocolate mousse is one of his favorites of all time. We literally have to hide the bowl so there is enough to share with others.

Hubby’s mom makes this for every holiday that we’re home. I’ve never tried to make this, but she gave me the recipe and permission to post it on here (thanks N!)

This mousse is best the day it’s made. If you need to make it in advance, be sure to give it a good stir prior to serving.

Print Save

Chocolate Mousse

Yield: ~20 servings

Ingredients:

6 eggs, at room temp, washed with soap and water, 5 separated, 1 slightly beaten
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 lb chocolate
1/3 c powdered sugar

Directions:

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, whip cream with powdered sugar.

In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate. Add the beaten egg and mix together. Beat in the egg yolks of the 5 separated eggs. Mix chocolate mixture together with whipped cream. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Note, if using white chocolate, it needs to be melted with some liquor, milk, or cream.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

12 Responses to “Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Cupcakes”

Jecka — April 16, 2010 at 11:53 am

Oh my god… these look amazing! They combine two of my favorite things: cookie dough, and mint-chocolate!

I’ve been trying to find something unique to make for my coworkers (I bake something every weekend for them on Monday) and was sick of making cookies. I’ve been trying to find a yummy mint-chocolate non-cookie to make, and I think this will do the trick!

Jen — April 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

Jecka – These don’t actually have mint in them. But you could definitely add mint to the brownie layer and use mint chips in the cookie dough. It would be quite tasty!

yumventures — April 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Those look AMAZING!!! All of my favorite things, rolled into one. So creative 🙂

Sarah — April 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I did the same thing Jecka did – I totally read “mini” as “mint”! That’s what you call a yummy mistake! 🙂

Cara — April 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm

These sound awesome! I was thinking of making cookie dough cupcakes for Bake for Hope, but I might make these instead.

HealthJunkie — April 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

mmmm… My boyfriend would go crazy over those! He and I love cookie dough. I just got a new KitchenAid mixer that I’m looking for recipes to make in. I think your’s will be the first. Thanks for all the great ideas

Kerstin — April 17, 2010 at 2:03 am

Wow, these sound amazing and are right up my alley with that edible cookie dough – yum!!

Memória — April 17, 2010 at 4:31 am

What a great idea!! Wow. I would drizzle some hot chocolate sauce on top to make it even more intense haha. Overkill!

Carrie — April 20, 2010 at 1:11 am

Wow, now those look killer, I love cookie dough and am a sucker for any recipe with those words.

Lucy — April 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Oh my gosh these look amazing. LOVE cookie dough, must definitely save this recipe for an empty rainy day 🙂

Maria — April 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I love mini cupcakes. These are super cute!

Amanda — May 1, 2010 at 3:19 am

Don’t those look yummy! I think if I open my mouth wide enough I can get it all in one bite, haha. I’ll have to give these a try soon.