Banana Split Cupcake

Cupcake Hero is BACK! This is one of the first blogging events I ever participated in. After a 9-month or so hiatus, CB has brought it back for all of us cupcake fans out there. This month’s ingredient is banana, which was a shocking selection since CB does NOT like banana. I struggled all month to think of a creative use of banana in a cupcake. Finally, on a restless night, I came up with this idea.

As you know, a classic Banana Split has a split banana, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, topped with pineapple, strawberry, and chocolate. Then the whole thing is topped with chopped nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry.

These cupcakes are so freaking cute! I can’t wait to make them again. They taste just like a banana split with the added bonus of having some cake in it! I opted to leave the nuts and whipped cream out, but you could definitely add those if you wanted to.

First I started with some Martha Stewart yellow buttermilk cupcakes. They are my current go-to white cupcake. Although the recipe makes a TON of cupcakes! Then I used my round cookie cutter to cut out the center of the cupcake.

Next I added a slice of banana.

On top of that I added some mushed up strawberries. You could also use strawberry ice cream topping, but I just took some frozen strawberries, thawed them out, put them in a ziplock bag and mushed them by hand.

Then I topped the strawberry with another banana slice. At this point I realized I wouldn’t need the top of the cupcake that I had cut out. So I ate it. Tasty!

For the frosting, I used the pineapple cream cheese frosting that I’ve made tons of times, except I bumped up the amount of pineapple in it. Then I got it really cold by putting it in the freezer for about an hour so that I could scoop it with my cookie scoop to make it look like ice cream.

Next I drizzled some pourable chocolate ganache over the top of the frosting.

Lastly I topped with a cherry.

I wanted to do a shot of the inside of the cupcake. It’s quite messy in there, but that is definitely the way a banana split looks after you take the first bite.

12 Responses to “Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast”

Rachel — November 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

this sounds really good-will be trying this!

Kerstin — November 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This looks so tasty and easy to make! I need to get a crockpot.

Megan — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I made that recipe last week – and everyone loved it! I only wish I’d gotten pictures…..

oneordinaryday — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

This looks wonderful. Bookmarking right now! Thanks!

Ingrid — November 18, 2009 at 3:26 am

Oh, boy this looks wonderful! I love slow cooker recipes like this. What side did you serve with it? Just veggies?
    ~ingrid

Kat — November 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Both your cranberry recipes look great. I am hoping Santa brings me a new crockpot for Christmas as my previous one was nuclear. This recipe looks so easy. I am not a pie fan so am thinking the cranberry apple dessert would be nice for hubby and I for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing!

Jen — November 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Yep just some steamed veggies.

Kasey — November 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Thanks for the posting!

Krystal — November 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I finally made this recipe after having it bookmarked forever. Thanks to Kelsey for reminding me about it – it was soooo good and it definitely hit the spot!!! Thanks Jen!

Amanda Pronko — December 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I make this every year for Christmas dinner 😀 We always go out for a fancy Christmas Eve dinner, and then we have a huge fancy Christmas Breakfast… by the time Christmas dinner comes around we are wiped out and not really in the mood to cook. This recipe is perfect because I can throw it all in the crock pot on Christmas Eve morning and pop in in the fridge. Then on Christmas day I put it on low and put wild rice in the rice cooker. My family always looks forward to it and we just love how delicious it is. I really wanted to let you know that this has been a tradition for us for about 3-4 years!! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I love hearing stories like this! Family traditions are so heart warming during the holidays 🙂

Liz — January 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

Nice recipe – Thank you. I love slow cooker recipes. Have a Happy Weekend!