Banana (Nut) Bread Mini Muffins

We had some ripe bananas so I decided to make some banana bread mini muffins. I had this recipe scribbled in my recipe notebook so I have no idea where it came from (if you know, please let me know). I made a 2/3 batch since I only had 2 bananas and I ended up with 24 mini muffins and 2 regular sized muffins. So I think if you made the full recipe, you’d get 48 mini muffins. I love how these turned out. The cardamom and nutmeg really added to flavor and the nuts add great texture.

Banana Bread Mini Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain yogurt – I used fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse – I used pecans and walnuts
freshly ground nutmeg – because nutmeg makes everything better
1/8 tsp cardamom – because I grabbed some last time I was at Penzey’s and I’ve been dying to use it in something

Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the mashed bananas, melte butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together in a separate bowl. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the nuts (if using). Do not over mix; the batter will look think and chunky.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top (I used my cookie scoop to fill the mini-muffin pan). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes (my mini muffins took 17 minutes).

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.

Bookmark and Share

6 Responses to “Gingerbread Apple Upside Down Cake”

Sophie — January 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That looks delicious!! And perfect for the winter weather.

birdutmasali — January 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I do know and love cooking

Turkey- istanbul much love to youery nice.

Kathleen — January 25, 2010 at 12:38 am

This looks yummy! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

chelsea — May 10, 2014 at 12:18 am

I made this tonight for a birthday and it was truly *amazing*! We all loved it and all the kids came back wanting seconds. I followed the recipe exactly and it came out incredibly moist and gooey, deliciously sweet, and spiced. I used half Granny Smith apples and half Gala. I also only had a 9″ pan and by the time I filled it up I still had enough batter (and some extra apple slices left) to fill another 9″ pan. I didn’t have any extra caramel topping, but decided to just bake the batter with the few left over apple slices. Next time I will double the amount of the caramel topping and cut up two more apples and make two full pans worth. It takes a little bit of time to make, but is not a difficult recipe to follow and is oh-so worth it! Thanks for sharing this!

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

SO glad you enjoyed it! It’s been years since I’ve made this recipe and your comment has me moving it to the top of my to-bake list!

windows 7 starter snpc oa toshiba — December 11, 2017 at 10:52 am

I have been reviewin online more than 4 hours today for windows 7
    starter snpc oa toshiba & Pimento Cheese Burger , yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners
    and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.