Banana (Nut) Bread Mini Muffins

We had some ripe bananas so I decided to make some banana bread mini muffins. I had this recipe scribbled in my recipe notebook so I have no idea where it came from (if you know, please let me know). I made a 2/3 batch since I only had 2 bananas and I ended up with 24 mini muffins and 2 regular sized muffins. So I think if you made the full recipe, you’d get 48 mini muffins. I love how these turned out. The cardamom and nutmeg really added to flavor and the nuts add great texture.

Banana Bread Mini Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain yogurt – I used fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse – I used pecans and walnuts
freshly ground nutmeg – because nutmeg makes everything better
1/8 tsp cardamom – because I grabbed some last time I was at Penzey’s and I’ve been dying to use it in something

Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the mashed bananas, melte butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together in a separate bowl. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the nuts (if using). Do not over mix; the batter will look think and chunky.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top (I used my cookie scoop to fill the mini-muffin pan). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes (my mini muffins took 17 minutes).

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.

Bookmark and Share

15 Responses to “Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love blueberries in pancakes and waffles. They’ve gotta be good in cinnamon rolls too!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — August 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yum! I have always wanted to make my own cinnamon rolls but have always been a tad nervous about he process!!! These look amazing with the blueberries!!

P.S. I found your blog today when you posted that you were from Boston on Tina’s blog! I am from just outside of Boston too!

nicole — September 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

these look amazing. I love cinnamon rolls, and this combo sounds great!

Kelly Delafield — October 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Can you tell me how to make the frosting?

Maureen — April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I love the blueberry, I tried swapping them with raspberries and they were just as good if not better. Love the base recipe.

Aimee — July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I made these today cheating with crescent roll dough. They were amazing!

cindy chisholm — February 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Da bomb! Brilliant, as well as yummy:)
    Thank you! I will make an impression at brunch tomorrow..lol

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Made these for Easter breakfast (blueberry cinnamon rolls, hardboiled eggs, and thick sliced ham slices). What a delicious treat! I don’t know if I’ll ever go back “regular” cinnamon rolls again! I cut the recipe in half. Perfect amount for my husband, myself, and 3 teenaged boys. Honestly, I can’t say enough about this recipe. These rolls are worth every minute spent making them. To avoid having to get up so early, I saved the second rise for the morning. After slicing the rolls and placing them in the greased pan, I covered them tightly with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge overnight. I took them out of the fridge and let them set at room temperature to rise for about an hour before placing them in the oven. They were perfect! Thanks so much!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!! I’ve done the second rise the next morning as well.

Robin — April 26, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Forgot to mention that a step was left out of the recipe: it never tells you to sprinkle the rolled out dough with sugar and cinnamon mixture (& 2 T flour?).

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the recipe to reflect this.

Karina — June 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi there – I was wondering if this dough would be okay to freeze? I’m a novice when it comes to anything baking related!

Glennis — July 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I found that the cinnamon was over powering. I will add 3 tsp next time 4 Tablespoons was way to much.

Diane — July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Is there any kneading involved???