Banana (Nut) Bread Mini Muffins

We had some ripe bananas so I decided to make some banana bread mini muffins. I had this recipe scribbled in my recipe notebook so I have no idea where it came from (if you know, please let me know). I made a 2/3 batch since I only had 2 bananas and I ended up with 24 mini muffins and 2 regular sized muffins. So I think if you made the full recipe, you’d get 48 mini muffins. I love how these turned out. The cardamom and nutmeg really added to flavor and the nuts add great texture.

Banana Bread Mini Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain yogurt – I used fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse – I used pecans and walnuts
freshly ground nutmeg – because nutmeg makes everything better
1/8 tsp cardamom – because I grabbed some last time I was at Penzey’s and I’ve been dying to use it in something

Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the mashed bananas, melte butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together in a separate bowl. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the nuts (if using). Do not over mix; the batter will look think and chunky.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top (I used my cookie scoop to fill the mini-muffin pan). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes (my mini muffins took 17 minutes).

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.

Bookmark and Share

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.