Banana (Nut) Bread Mini Muffins

We had some ripe bananas so I decided to make some banana bread mini muffins. I had this recipe scribbled in my recipe notebook so I have no idea where it came from (if you know, please let me know). I made a 2/3 batch since I only had 2 bananas and I ended up with 24 mini muffins and 2 regular sized muffins. So I think if you made the full recipe, you’d get 48 mini muffins. I love how these turned out. The cardamom and nutmeg really added to flavor and the nuts add great texture.

Banana Bread Mini Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain yogurt – I used fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse – I used pecans and walnuts
freshly ground nutmeg – because nutmeg makes everything better
1/8 tsp cardamom – because I grabbed some last time I was at Penzey’s and I’ve been dying to use it in something

Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the mashed bananas, melte butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together in a separate bowl. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the nuts (if using). Do not over mix; the batter will look think and chunky.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top (I used my cookie scoop to fill the mini-muffin pan). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes (my mini muffins took 17 minutes).

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.

Bookmark and Share

12 Responses to “Strawberry and Beer Sorbet”

tracy {pale yellow} — February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Three ingredients? Amazing, I can’t wait to try this for myself!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

If you make it, let me know what beer/fruit combo you use. I can’t wait to try different combinations.

tracy {pale yellow} — February 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I just made it last night and used frozen strawberries and Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. Amazing!!! So creamy without any dairy. I’ll be posting the recipe on my site next week.

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

First of all, I haven’t had that beer, but it sounds tasty on it’s own. I’m sure it was delicious with the strawberries in this sorbet. So glad you enjoyed it. Let me know when your post goes up!

Shannon — February 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

what an interesting idea! love that you can still taste the individual flavors 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I loved it too. Even though when you say Strawberry and Beer Sorbet people kind of look at you like you’re crazy….

Tiffany — February 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

This sounds awesome and I know my husband would love it but we don’t have an ice cream maker. Is there an alternative way to make it?

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Jen , thanks for joining the link up for Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter. I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the other links. I have been reading them all and must say my ice cream cravings are now almost out of control! Cheers

Ps I am signing up to follow your blog. A follow back would be great – or maybe you have already?

Jimmie — August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I work in a brewpub in Boulder. I’m gonna try this out with fresh peaches, honey, and a strong belgian golden ale. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Oh man – that sounds awesome. I have a TON of peaches in my house right now… I just made a blueberry variety the other night.