Lime Meltaway Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled blogging… Sorry about all the photography posts recently. I’ve kind of been in a cooking/baking rut recently and haven’t been making blog-worthy food. But I’m back with some posts that should remind everyone that I do love to bake!

I added a star to this recipe when I saw it come into my Google Reader. I made some Lemon Curd cookies earlier this year that everyone loved. It’s very unexpected to eat a cookie that is very bright and citrusey. Don’t get me wrong I love all sorts of chocolate cookies but these sure are a nice change of pace.

This is my second entry in Bookmarked Recipes. Every Monday I see the roundup and every Monday I tell myself that this is the week I’m going to submit a post. The majority of my meals come from other bloggers or Food Network shows so it makes sense.

I ended up almost doubling the amount of lime juice and I forgot to put the food coloring in until the very end, so the green color is a little swirled.

Lime Meltaways – from How to Eat a Cupcake – originally from Martha Stewart – makes 2 dozen
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar – divided into 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Put butter and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (I thought it was weird to use the whisk here, next time I’d use the paddle attachment), and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add lime zest and juice and vanilla, and mix until fluffy.

Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.

Divide dough in half. Place each half on an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment paper (I used plastic wrap). Roll in parchment to form a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Refrigerate logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour (I let mine chill overnight in the fridge).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove parchment from logs; cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, toss cookies with remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Sues

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while
    Shandra-http://shandrita.tumblr.com/

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.