Lime Meltaway Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled blogging… Sorry about all the photography posts recently. I’ve kind of been in a cooking/baking rut recently and haven’t been making blog-worthy food. But I’m back with some posts that should remind everyone that I do love to bake!

I added a star to this recipe when I saw it come into my Google Reader. I made some Lemon Curd cookies earlier this year that everyone loved. It’s very unexpected to eat a cookie that is very bright and citrusey. Don’t get me wrong I love all sorts of chocolate cookies but these sure are a nice change of pace.

This is my second entry in Bookmarked Recipes. Every Monday I see the roundup and every Monday I tell myself that this is the week I’m going to submit a post. The majority of my meals come from other bloggers or Food Network shows so it makes sense.

I ended up almost doubling the amount of lime juice and I forgot to put the food coloring in until the very end, so the green color is a little swirled.

Lime Meltaways – from How to Eat a Cupcake – originally from Martha Stewart – makes 2 dozen
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar – divided into 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Put butter and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (I thought it was weird to use the whisk here, next time I’d use the paddle attachment), and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add lime zest and juice and vanilla, and mix until fluffy.

Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.

Divide dough in half. Place each half on an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment paper (I used plastic wrap). Roll in parchment to form a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Refrigerate logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour (I let mine chill overnight in the fridge).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove parchment from logs; cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, toss cookies with remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

12 Responses to “Spiced Caramel Apple Pie”

amanda @ fake ginger — October 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I think I use my apple corer once a month but the time it saves me is so worth storing it!

The pie looks beyond delicious. I haven’t been feeling apple desserts this year but this is one I could get into.

Sarah — October 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I am making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year and I think this pie is definitely going to make it to my table!

Jen — October 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This pie would def be great for Thanksgiving dinner Sarah!

Cara! — October 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This pie looks incredible! My husband loves apple pie and I am planning on making this for him!

Boston Food Diary — October 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Um seriously-this looks ridiculous! I always think that my moms apple pie is the best but…

Megan — October 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’m not a huge fan of apple pie (I make it for a certain someone I live with), but an apple pie with a crisp-like topping and spiced filling is one I could definitely get behind.

And I seriously want one of theose peeler/corer/slicer things. Every year I go to Freeport and inevitably someone in LL Bean is demo-ing one.

Alisa — October 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Now that’s a delicious apple pie!I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won’t mind I’d love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget at the end of this post and it’s all set, Thanks!

newlywed — October 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Looks delcious! I love my apple peeler/corer/slicer machine. I use it for crisps, apple cakes, applesauce, etc. My husband packs my lunch too…it is nice to be spoiled!

becksterslaboratory — October 17, 2010 at 12:35 am

We LOVE apple desserts in our house…I’ve bookmarked this delicious looking pie and will try it soon! : )

tobiascooks! — October 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful treat. Look so yummy.

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:36 am

Ok it’s been decided….I’m making this for Thanksgiving! Amazing!!!

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

What an awesome twist on apple pie! It looks stellar Jen. Bravo!