Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Toasts

We were going to a cookout and I was asked to bring an appetizer. I was happy to oblige and was excited about the challenge. Usually I’m asked to bring dessert, so it was fun to try to think of something else to bring. I went to the starred items in my Google Reader (last time I checked I had over 1000 starred items!) and decided that these would be perfect. Everyone at the cookout enjoyed them and I didn’t have any to bring home.

I doubled the recipe and it took one large jar of roasted red peppers. The other great thing about this recipe is that it can be made in advance. Just store the toasted bread in a airtight container (or ziplock bag) and assemble just prior to serving.

Goat cheese and Red Pepper Appetizers – adapted from Cooking This and That, originally from Giada De Laurentiis
18 slices (1/2″ thick) sliced baguette bread
olive oil
4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese – I used 1/2 goat cheese and 1/2 herbed goat cheese
2 ounces cream cheese – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
parsley and basil – I used frozen fresh basil because that’s what I had on hand
salt and pepper to taste
18 strips of roasted red peppers

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, blend goat cheese and cream cheese in food processor (this is easier if the cheeses are room temperature) until smooth and creamy. Add the parsley, basil, salt and pepper and pulse just to blend.

Spread the cheese mixture in a thin layer over each toasted slice of bread. Top with a strip of roasted red pepper.

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.