Coconut Margarita Ice Cream Cupcakes

There are going to be a few ice cream cupcake posts over the next couple of days. I need to get them all in by the 30th. Be sure to check out the ice cream cupcake roundup at the end of the month (link at end of post).

I made these cupcakes before we started the kitchen renovation (you can even see them in the freezer picture from the first day post). Because I was trying not to throw away any food when the renovation started, I made some really random foods. I had some coconut creme left from the coconut lime cupcakes, and everyone loved those cupcakes so I decided to whip up a batch. I ended up having enough creme to make 3/4 of a batch of cupcakes. I can’t really say how many normal sized cupcakes that recipe would make because I made a variety of cupcakes. But don’t worry I am sure I’ll be making it again (I dipped some in leftover ganache for Hubby to take to work, the rest were used for these ice cream cupcakes).

Once the cupcakes were done, I just needed some ice cream to go with coconut. I headed up to the local JP Licks to see what flavors they had this month. It was my lucky day because they had “Fresh Margarita” Sorbet. As you all know, coconut and lime is one of my favorite flavor combos, so I got a pint without hesitation.

I decided to try a couple options with these cupcakes. For some of them, I did the same thing I did last year, where I had a layer of cupcake, then ice cream (sorbet in this case), then frosting (again, I used up some coconut cream cheese frosting I had in the fridge). For other cupcakes, I cut them in half and put the sorbet in the middle.

I liked the sandwich variety better because it wasn’t so cold against my teeth biting into the cupcake. Hubby also preferred the sandwich variety. But they were all delicious no matter what. *Note* I didn’t make these dairy free, but I did have to try one and they’re REALLY good. If you can find margarita sorbet, I highly recommend this combo.

Coconut cream cheese frosting – from Hello! Cupcake
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

I am submitting these cupcakes into the blogging event hosted by Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious. Be sure to check back to vote for their reader’s choice cupcakes. Voting will be the first week in June.

14 Responses to “Peppermint Patty Cookies”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love frozen Thin Mints so I totally get why these are good frozen! Looks fantastic!

Megan — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ooh… I love the sound of these. If I don’t end up making them soon, I definitely will keep them in mind for Christmas cookies!

Evan — February 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Just when I thought there wasn’t another way to enjoy a peppermint patty, you post this. Love it! They’re definitely one of my favorite candies.

Kathy Day — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I MADE HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT PATTIES WHEN I WAS LITTLE, THEY WERE A CHRISTMAS TRADITION! I REFUSE TO DO IT ANYMORE THOUGH, THE PATTIES ALWAYS FELL APART ON ME WHEN I DIPPED THEM.

THESE COOKIES LOOK DELICIOUS. I WOULD TOTALLY BE ON BOARD WITH THAT 😀

Amy (SingForYourSupper) — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oh YUMMY! I must make these ASAP!

Jennifer — February 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

These sound AWESOME! I love peppermint patty’s.

Hezzi-D — February 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh yum! Peppermint Patties are my mom’s absolute favorite! I am totally making these next time I go hojme-they even look like giant patties!

Just My Delicious — February 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

these cookies looks so tasty! I`d like to have some in front of me 🙂

Blog is the New BLack — February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

THese look AMAZING! My bf would totally love these! 🙂

Bertha — February 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

I just wanted to say that I’ve been a silent reader for a long time and you are my go to source whenever I need an impressive dessert for a party or just when I’m craving something sweet. Every single recipe has turned out amazing! Thank you!

Amanda L. — February 4, 2011 at 1:55 am

These look great! My high school vice principal loved peppermint patties! heh

Cara — February 4, 2011 at 3:48 am

mmm what else is in that freezer of yours? I want to come raid it!

Peabody — February 4, 2011 at 8:11 am

I want! Oh my!

Sheila C. — December 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I visited my cousin today and she had made these cookies. She shared them with us and they were the bomb! Be careful because they are highly addictive! Rich but yummy! I will be making them.