Alton Brown’s “The Puffy”

As you all know, I love Alton Brown. I’ve made a few of his recipes recently including his overnight cinnamon rolls and his famous chewy chocolate chip cookie. He did a great episode of Good Eats where he created three very different versions of chocolate chip cookie by making slight variations of the Nestle Tollhouse recipe.

To say I really enjoyed “The Chewy” is an understatement. It is delicious. I can’t rave about it enough. I decided to try out another recipe from the episode “The Puffy”.

I didn’t have any butter flavored shortening, so I ended up using 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. These cookies were very puffy when they came out of the oven, but they deflated quite a bit as they cooled. The cake flour gives these cookies a great texture and this is another great chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I much prefer The Chewy. I just like chewy cookies.

The Puffy – from Alton Brown – I got 4 dozen cookies using my cookie scoop1 cup butter-flavored shortening – I used 1/2 cup shortening + 1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the shortening (and butter), sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl, and cream until light and fluffy. Sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.

Add the eggs 1 at a time to the creamed mixture. Add vanilla. Increase the speed until thoroughly incorporated.

With the mixer set to low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough (I chilled the dough overnight). Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 per sheet (I used a my regular sized cookie scoop to get smaller cookies). Bake for 13 minutes (mine baked for about 9 minutes) or until golden brown and puffy, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool and store in an airtight-container.

12 Responses to “S’mores Brownies”

Boston Food Diary — October 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

whoa…I think I’m speechless! I have seen S’mores Brownies before, I have even tasted them- in well known restaurants- and these look 100% better and tastier! Well done- I might be knocking on your door for a taste!!!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

here is another smores recipe I just saw… if you are looking for more smores recipes!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

it would help if I gave you the link…. lol enjoy!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I just saw your photos and seriously almost drooled. You never cease to amaze me Jen!

Jen — October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

vickdn – I saw that smores biscotti this morning! Looks great.

Fun and Fearless – don’t get any drool on your monitor!

Eliana — October 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m not surpsied everyone at your work loved these. They look amazing!

newlywed — October 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Wow! These look like a great excuse to buy a kitchen torch!

Lindsay — October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! I love love love s’mores. I even make them in the winter using the gas stove, so this recipe is definitely going to make it on my list of ones to try 🙂

kitchenmisfit — October 10, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to make them!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

I love S’mores brownies! The combination of all the flavors, in a less messy bar form, make me smile 🙂

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

stacey — January 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’m making them right now..It seemed that during cooking one row of my graham crackers started to rise to the surface of the brownies…and the center is still undercooked but the edges are cooked.. I hope they turn out ok…They look awesome