Double Chocolate Brownie Roll Out Cookies

I saw these cookies in Deb’s blog and knew I just had to make them. Since then, I’ve seen them pop up in many blogs all with rave reviews. And with St Patty’s day coming up, I knew I wanted to make sugar cookies.

A few years ago I did this and I had to go to 5 different stores to find a shamrock cookie cutter! While there I also grabbed a pot of gold cookie cutter. That year I made black frosting that turned everyone’s mouths black. I decided that this year it would be a perfect opportunity to make the pot of gold cookies again but using this chocolate roll out cookie recipe instead of black frosting.

The cookies came out of the oven and they weren’t too dark. I also had some leftover ganache from a recent baking adventure that I wanted to use up. I decided to dip the cookies in ganache to use up my leftover ganache and also to make the cookies darker without having to use black frosting or sprinkles. I love how they turned out. And adding the ganache enhanced the chocolate flavor of the cookie.

I made the dough and rolled out the cookies about two weeks before St Patty’s day. Then I froze the unbaked cookie shapes and baked them closer to the holiday. When it was time to bake, I put the frozen cookie directly only the cookie sheet and added an extra minute to the baking time. This worked out well for me.

I also made some regular sugar cookies using my shamrock cookie cutter. I used my Aunt’s recipe that I grew up eating. I did a comparison post back during the holidays. You can find the recipe there. I also froze these cookies and baked them a couple days before the big holiday. I used royal icing for the first time, and followed the directions on Katie’s blog. Definitely check out her blog if you’ve never worked with royal icing.

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies – from Smitten Kitchen – I got 3 dozen cookies3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup lightly salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. (It does disappear once baked, though, so don’t overly fret if they go into the oven looking white.) Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Chocolate ganache1/4 cup heavy cream
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened

In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until steaming, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until smooth.

When cookies have cooled completely, use a spoon to spread ganache over cookies. Allow ganache to set before adding any other frosting/decorations.

16 Responses to “Homemade Milky Way Candy Bars”

KV — October 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those look good too. Are homemade butterfingers next? I have a recipe I’m going to try out soon.

Jen — October 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Butterfingers would be tasty, but I’ve got something else coming on Friday…

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OH YUM! I really want to try these but I’m horrible at dipping things too.

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is exactly what my son’s been asking me to do. You’re making it hard to say no – they look perfect!

Kimmy Bingham — October 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

Why do you tempt me so? Milky Ways are my favorites. This is so worth trying 🙂

Smitten Sugar — October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yum these look delicious! I love Milky ways

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Well they look pretty perfect to me! And super delicious too.

Kerstin — October 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I’m so intrigued by the cool whip/chocolate mixture for the filling! These look so yummy and addicting!

Miss Yunks — October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

These look so cute and much easier than the milky ways and snickers I made a few months ago. I made mine in muffin wrappers so I didn’t dip them, just layered the chocolate, nougat, caramel, and chocolate! They came out pretty tasty but was a lot of work!

Rachael Pergler — October 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

I just tried these and they didn’t come out as I’d hoped. The chocolate and whipped cream mix was too sticky and wouldn’t harden. Did I do something wrong? Also what if you can’t find kraft caramel?

Jen — October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Rachael – Sorry to hear they didn’t turn out for you. The center part was a bit sticky while dipping and wasn’t super hard… Any caramel would work for this recipe, I just use the Kraft kind that comes individually wrapped.

K — November 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would put melted chocolate in the pan first, freeze, then the chocolate mixture, then the caramel. Then you can spoon melted chocolate on top. Would this work? (It solves the dipping problem too!)

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

That could definitely work… The caramel might ooze out when you gut them though… Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Rick — October 31, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hope you are not using Cool Whip which is all trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup. I’m looking for a healthier alternative to the store bought Milky Way. Perhaps a recipe for homemade whip ?

Linda — December 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These were a DISASTER. I wasted my morning and a lot of ingredients. The chocolate mixture was so sticky when cutting into squares. The directions did not state whether to add water to the caramels when melting so I didn’t…the caramels ended up thick and so sticky, I had trouble putting it on the chocolate layer. Dumped the whole mess out since I didn’t want to waste a bag of milk chocolate chips to coat them. I have been baking my entire life (60 +) and never had a recipe go like that.

360 health tips — December 11, 2017 at 9:45 am

Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all
    blog visitors, due to it’s good articles or reviews