Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes

Our monthly cooking club decided to cut me (and my stomach) a break this month. The theme was “All the cheese is in the movie” aka, we’d watch an overly cheesey movie but make all the food dairy free. I enjoyed the evening and think everyone liked the challenge. I decided to make some vegan cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a great cupcake cookbook. I need to use it more often.

I’ve made the chocolate vegan cupcake recipe before (they were fierce!) so I knew that would be perfect. The cupcakes have a pretty round dome and are very moist. It’s a very good cupcake.

I also had this banana caramel sauce that was given to us as a gift. I knew I wanted to use that. Then I decided to try the chocolate banana mousse that is also in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. So I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with a slice of banana and some banana caramel sauce in the middle, topped with banana chocolate mousse and banana caramel sauce. That’s a mouthful!

The mousse is made with tofu which made me a little nervous. I’m weird about tofu. I love the Tofutti products, especially the Better than cream cheese and the Tofutti cuties. But, for some reason, working with tofu just kinda grosses me out. I think it’s the texture on my hands. I’m weird. I know. This mousse is amazing. It’s not as light and fluffy as the mousse my Mother in Law makes (which Hubby LOVES), instead it is quite dense and actually perfect for piping on top of a cupcake. It was very good and you would never have guessed it’s dairy free.

Vegan chocolate cupcakes – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Vegan chocolate banana mousse – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 (12.3 oz) pkg extra-firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 Tbsp agave syrup or pure maple syrup – I used 2 Tbsp sugar because I was out of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1 very ripe banana

Crumble tofu into blender. Add milk, agave, and vanilla. Puree until smooth.

Add banana and puree until smooth. (leave this out for just chocolate mousse)

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Allow to cool 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chocolate to the blender and blend until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides a couple times.

Transfer mousse to airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap.

Chill for an hour (or longer).

To Assemble cupcake:
12 chocolate cupcakes
chocolate banana mousse
banana caramel sauce
1 banana

After cupcakes are completely cooled, use the cone method to remove some of the cupcake.

Pipe a tiny amount of mousse into cupcake. Add a banana slice and replace “lid” of cupcake.

Pipe mousse onto top of cupcakes. Drizzle with banana caramel sauce.

16 Responses to “Strawberry Champagne Layer Cake”

Sabina — December 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it looks delicious!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — December 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful cake! I can’t get over the ending either, too soon!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Right! It happens every year, but I feel like this year flew by especially quickly.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — December 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Wow – super gorgeous!! I’m so glad you love this cake as much as I do! Happy Christmas and almost New Years, doll!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Happy Holidays to you too!

Nutmeg Nanny — December 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and I bet it tastes divine 🙂 can’t wait to try it!

Shannon — December 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

definitely perfect for new years! i can’t believe this year is almost over, either- crazy!

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

this is perfect for our holiday-the Florida strawberries have been so sweet – thank you

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

I wish I lived somewhere where the strawberry season was longer than a few weeks…

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I was just thinking, what if we made this w/pink champagne?

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I think it would be great with pink champagne!

Jennifer Essad — January 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I know what you mean we grew up and lived in Michigan all our lives. When our kids were little I would take them to the farms to pick blueberries, raspberries and apples. The strawberry season was always short or not at all due to the wet springs we so often had. But we did get farm fresh ones at our local farm market. I now live in Central Florida where I’m learning so much about fresh grown foods. We live a few blocks from Oviedo where DUDA farms are. They are known especially for their celery but so many other fresh veggies. We have a few local farms where you can pick strawberries and blueberries. The gulf coast really has a lot of strawberry farms. On Tuesday our local Publix store had Florida fresh strawberries on sale. I just cleaned them last night (I think my husband took about 1/2 of them to work) We are fortunate, but I still miss Michigan and all the farming communities in our area.

• beantownbaker — January 4th, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Wow – I bet things in FL are very different than Michigan! We can usually get strawberries at the farmers market as well. But again, it’s SUCH a short season. Last year we missed it completely. I’m still adjusting to the different seasonal timing in Ohio vs what it was in Boston. We always make a point to pick strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples. Peaches and strawberries are two of my favorite summertime fruits.

sell my car bristol — January 29, 2014 at 1:21 am

Woah, thanks a bunch for sharing!

Jason — April 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I made this cake for my girlfriend’s surprise birthday party, and it was freaking delicious. Granted this was my first cake I have ever baked, but there wasn’t enough frosting to cover the whole thing and keep part of the actual cake from showing through. I don’t even like cake, and this was bomb!

Breda Fuller — December 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This CAKE IS THE BOMB!!!!, I found this online in 2014. I showed it to my twin sister, I said, I won’t this for our B-Day, but we didn’t have it until September 2015, and again this year. So delicious, my son Loves it as well, we’re making it tomorrow December 28th 2015 for his birthday. Yummmmy!