Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes

Our monthly cooking club decided to cut me (and my stomach) a break this month. The theme was “All the cheese is in the movie” aka, we’d watch an overly cheesey movie but make all the food dairy free. I enjoyed the evening and think everyone liked the challenge. I decided to make some vegan cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a great cupcake cookbook. I need to use it more often.

I’ve made the chocolate vegan cupcake recipe before (they were fierce!) so I knew that would be perfect. The cupcakes have a pretty round dome and are very moist. It’s a very good cupcake.

I also had this banana caramel sauce that was given to us as a gift. I knew I wanted to use that. Then I decided to try the chocolate banana mousse that is also in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. So I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with a slice of banana and some banana caramel sauce in the middle, topped with banana chocolate mousse and banana caramel sauce. That’s a mouthful!

The mousse is made with tofu which made me a little nervous. I’m weird about tofu. I love the Tofutti products, especially the Better than cream cheese and the Tofutti cuties. But, for some reason, working with tofu just kinda grosses me out. I think it’s the texture on my hands. I’m weird. I know. This mousse is amazing. It’s not as light and fluffy as the mousse my Mother in Law makes (which Hubby LOVES), instead it is quite dense and actually perfect for piping on top of a cupcake. It was very good and you would never have guessed it’s dairy free.

Vegan chocolate cupcakes – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Vegan chocolate banana mousse – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 (12.3 oz) pkg extra-firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 Tbsp agave syrup or pure maple syrup – I used 2 Tbsp sugar because I was out of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1 very ripe banana

Crumble tofu into blender. Add milk, agave, and vanilla. Puree until smooth.

Add banana and puree until smooth. (leave this out for just chocolate mousse)

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Allow to cool 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chocolate to the blender and blend until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides a couple times.

Transfer mousse to airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap.

Chill for an hour (or longer).

To Assemble cupcake:
12 chocolate cupcakes
chocolate banana mousse
banana caramel sauce
1 banana

After cupcakes are completely cooled, use the cone method to remove some of the cupcake.

Pipe a tiny amount of mousse into cupcake. Add a banana slice and replace “lid” of cupcake.

Pipe mousse onto top of cupcakes. Drizzle with banana caramel sauce.

13 Responses to “Alton Brown’s “The Chewy””

Bridget — March 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Aren’t they the best? They’re so addicting. I’ve actually starting using the same ingredients, but mixing them like a more traditional chocolate chip cookie (i.e., softened butter instead of melted), because I like the dough better with softened butter. The baked cookies were just as good. Best of both worlds!

Laure — March 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

These look gorgeous. Don’t you just love AB??? 🙂

Julie — March 6, 2009 at 4:06 am

The cookies look great. I love AB too..he’s such a dork (in a good way).

CoCo — March 6, 2009 at 5:50 am

I love the ATK/CI Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. I will have to try these to see what I think. I remember seeing that the recipes looked similar so I am sure I will love them.
    Another AB lover here. My husband gives me a hard time about my DVR list with him but loves it when I give him a fun tidbit or cook him something from AB.

Jen — March 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I completely agree CoCo. Hubby does the same thing. I sometimes even watch episodes I’ve seen before! Hubby doesn’t like to admit it, but he loves AB too. Sometimes he’ll be the one saying “AB says to do this…”

foodess — March 9, 2009 at 3:38 am

They look SO good!! I am a sucker for a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Although, I must side with your hubby – I prefer mine with just a bit of chocolate.

Naomi — March 9, 2009 at 6:46 am

How much is a stick of butter? I’m not in the US and have never come across this measurement before.

Jen — March 9, 2009 at 11:08 am

Sorry about that Naomi – 1 stick of butter = 8 Tbsp. Does that help?

Dani — March 9, 2009 at 11:46 am

this is very similar to the ccc recipe i use, but anything that makes it chewier is good in my books! i will have to keep this one in mind 🙂

Naomi — March 13, 2009 at 10:05 am

Yes Jen, thank you!

Allie — June 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yum! I will definitely be trying these. I always chill my cookie dough too usually because I’m too busy with 3 little ones but I also read that article in the NY times awhile ago and I felt like I deserved a nice big pat on the back for always doing the 24hour chill 🙂 Great post and beautiful cookies!

Susan — June 23, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I love Alton Brown because of his scientific approach to cooking and baking. I’ve been baking “The Chewy” for years. One thing I do differently: Before chilling the dough, I scoop it into balls. This makes the process much easier. Sometimes I freeze the balls for baking later. After I place the balls on parchment, I carefully place a few extra chocolate morsels on top, pointy side up. This extra step produces picture-perfect cookies every time.

Desiree — July 2, 2016 at 1:56 am

The Chewy is my go to recipe for cookies. I make a few alterations, occasionally, such as substituting 1/4 of the brown sugar with dark brown sugar. I bake small portions in mini muffin tins; one batch makes 48 cookie bites that are super chewy and the perfect size bite. I’ve made them every year for Christmas gifts for a few years now.