Banana Bars with Cream Cheese frosting

These banana bars are my all-time favorite. They’re so moist and delicious. The cream cheese frosting on top goes with the banana bars perfectly.

Banana Bars – from my mom (no idea where it came from originally) – makes ~3dozen bars1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas, and vanilla.

Combine to flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool.

Frosting
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 package (8 ounces) softened cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat well. Spread over bars.

7 Responses to “New York Style Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce”

Jigginjessica — May 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Besides the top being a little brown it looks like a perfect cheesecake! I absolutely must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing

The Small Boston Kitchen — May 12, 2011 at 2:50 am

Amber — March 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Can I use dried blue berries for the sauce.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I haven’t tried this sauce with dried berries. I am not sure it would work very well without the addition of some liquid. Maybe some fruit juice?

Carol Schu — June 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Just made this cheesecake for dinner guests. It was a big hit. I didn’t have any trouble with burning but the top came out spotted with brown instead of the lovely smooth top. No matter, I covered it with blueberry topping and no one cared. Oh, and… It didn’t crack but I left it in the oven until it was completely cooled. Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Glad it was a success for you! And yay for no cracking 🙂

marie williams — January 19, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Blueberry sauce…
    I looked at least 20 recipes and this was the best for simplicity of ingredients.

It didn’t require vanilla, or zest of lemon (which would require a grater$$)

And best of all it did not require a ton of sugar. I am not much of a cook however your easy to understand directions. And it was great.