Texas Sheet Cake

First things first, Merry Christmas everybody! I hope the holidays are treating you well this year. My mom used to make this cake all the time. It’s really really really good. It’s more like frosted brownies and it’s delicious. You should make this. Today. Or tomorrow since you might be in a food coma already today.

I made these during my lunch break on a day that I worked from home. I sent them to work with hubby the next day so we wouldn’t eat them all!! These are REALLY good warmed up with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

There are a few things about this recipe that just feel weird after all the baking I’ve done in the past few years. For one, you just throw all the ingredients together (this recipe is SO easy!) None of this adding flour and alternating with milk blah blah blah. It’s kind of refreshing to just throw everything in and turn on the mixer. You also boil butter and cocoa. Twice. It’s awesome. And don’t worry about the 3 sticks of butter. They’re totally worth it.

Texas Sheet Cake – from my mom – no idea where it’s originally from, although PW does have the same recipe posted on her cooking blog…
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vingar + 1/2 cup milk
2 sticks butter
4 tbsp cocoa
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the flour, sugar, sour cream, salt, eggs, baking soda and buttermilk in a large bowl.

Bring the butter, cocoa and water to a boil.

Add at once to flour mixture. Mix well and pour into greased cookie sheet. The batter is VERY runny.

Bake 20 min at 350. While the cake is baking, you will have just enough time to clean up the mess you made, wash the dishes and prepare the frosting. It’s important to frost the cake immediately out of the oven, so no slacking here!

Frosting1 box powdered sugar (1 lb) – I just eyeball it to 1/2 of a 2 lb bag
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter
6 tbsp milk
4 tbsp cocoa

Combine the following the powdered sugar, pecans and vanilla.

Bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Add to the sugar mixture. Ice cake right out of oven.

14 Responses to “Triple Layer Oreo Cake”

URBakin'MeCrazyy — February 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

This look absolutely FABULOUS! 🙂 I love oreo’s… They could quite possibly be my favorite snack food.! I’m defientely adding this recipe to my collection of cakes to bake! Thanks for sharing.
    Megan♥

Cupcake Kelly — February 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

that is one of the MOST impressive cakes I’ve ever seen! You always amaze me with your creativity! very inspirational.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) — February 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

OMG – I want!!! 😀

Anonymous — December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm

hi is it ok to use regular coffee?like maxwell?how many teaspoon of maxwell should i use?thanks

Anonymous — January 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This looks AMAZING! What did you use to hold the Oreos in place on the top? Is that Oreo filling?

Claire — February 10, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Love this cake – made it for my hubby’s 30th! Just a quick question as I had a little trouble with the Oreo filling. It was a bit thin. I think the problem might be the type of cream I used as we don’t have heavy cream in Australia (at least it’s not called heavy cream) so does anyone know what type of cream I should use? Thanks heaps 🙂

nette — December 24, 2012 at 3:38 am

This cake turned out amazing! I omitted the coffee from the frosting and it was perfect without but im sure it would have been prefect with. It was a process to make it but well worth it! Just as good if not better than a bakery cake!

• beantownbaker — December 24th, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Yes, it’s definitely a lot of work, but worth the effort! Glad you enjoyed it.

Tastes of Lizzy T — June 1, 2013 at 5:52 am

Found you on Carole’s Chatter Food on Friday link-up. This cake looks like perfection!! I definitely need to try it soon:)

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks and welcome! You should definitely make this cake if you like Oreos at all.

Betty Kang — July 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

OMG, I love oreo so much!!! I will try to make this cake someday! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

• beantownbaker — July 22nd, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

It definitely takes a little bit of extra effort, but it’s so worth it!

Karen — June 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

What size pkg of Oreos? I just came home with one that only has 3 rows, ugh? It’s 14.3 oz. is that the same size? Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

Did that work for you? I will have to check next time I am at the store. I just get the standard size with 3 rows.