Cinnamon Pork with Sweet Potatoes

Hubby had a difficult time finding something Cinnamon-ey to make for our monthly cooking club that wasn’t a dessert. He’s definitely the cooker in our house and I’m the baker. He made this pork and it smelled delicious while it was cooking.

As recommended, we served this over rice. The pork was extremely tender and had subtle tastes of cinnamon. This mean is even better the next day. We ate it for a couple days since it made a decent amount of food and neither of us got sick of it!

Cinnamon Pork with Sweet Potatoes – from The Splendid Table – makes 6-8 servings
2 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and gristle
2-1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil

Seasonings:
6 whole scallions, ends trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch lengths, and smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
6 cloves garlic, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife, peeled, and sliced thin
6 slices fresh ginger, about the size of a quarter, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
1 teaspoon hot chile paste – we used Garlic Chili Pepper sauce from the Thai section at the store
2 to 3 sticks cinnamon
1 whole star anise, smashed, or 1 teaspoon aniseeds – we used Fennel seeds

Braising Mixture:
4 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine or sake
2 tablespoons sugar
4 sweet potatoes or yams (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons minced scallion greens for garnish

Cut the pork into 1-1/2-inch cubes

Heat the oil until very hot in a 4-quart casserole or a Dutch oven with a lid. Add half the pork pieces. Sear the outside of half the pork over high heat until brown, turning once. Remove and sear the remaining meat. Set aside.

Reheat the pan and oil, add the Seasonings. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds, then add the Braising Mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the pork, bring the liquid to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, stir, cover, and continue cooking for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Serve the pork and potatoes atop a bed of blanched or steamed greens, with some of the braising mixture spooned on top and accompanied by steamed rice.

14 Responses to “Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream”

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 31, 2013 at 8:14 am

What a gorgeous chocolate!! I adore deep chocolate ice creams.

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

You would definitely love this then. It’s so rich and chocolatey!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 31, 2013 at 8:19 am

I just got an ice cream maker and cannot wait to start trying it out… this looks a bit above my skill level, but a good thing to work towards!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I completely understand wanting to start out with an easier recipe. Sorbets are really easy. No cooking necessary for most sorbet recipes. But def keep this one in the back of your mind for when you feel more confident!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

I made this dark chocolate ice cream last year, and it is definitely the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had. The 5-day wait time is pure torture, but it’s completely worth it. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I agree, it was complete torture, especially after taking a taste after it had processed in the machine…

tracy {pale yellow} — May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

A rich, deep chocolate ice cream is worth the wait! It’s so hard to find a recipe for the decadent chocolate ice I desire, this recipe has moved to the top of my to-do list!

Sues — June 3, 2013 at 6:48 am

You can tell just by looking at this how rich and awesome it is!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

It’s seriously difficult to scoop it’s so thick!

Shannon — June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

wowza, this certainly tell how rich and decadent it is!! i’m appreciating more and more those things that I only need a spoonful of to satisfy 😉

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:53 am

This is definitely one of those things. I love chocolate but could only handle one small scoop at a time.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Who isn’t a fan of chocolate?! This looks amazing 🙂

Lisa T — June 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I would love to try this recipe. I am wondering why you used coconut milk, and I’m assuming full fat coconut milk?

• beantownbaker — June 16th, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

i use coconut milk because I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t use cow’s milk or heavy cream. If you want to use those dairy products, follow the instructions in the original recipe. And yes, I use full fat coconut milk.