Cinnamon Pork with Sweet Potatoes

Hubby had a difficult time finding something Cinnamon-ey to make for our monthly cooking club that wasn’t a dessert. He’s definitely the cooker in our house and I’m the baker. He made this pork and it smelled delicious while it was cooking.

As recommended, we served this over rice. The pork was extremely tender and had subtle tastes of cinnamon. This mean is even better the next day. We ate it for a couple days since it made a decent amount of food and neither of us got sick of it!

Cinnamon Pork with Sweet Potatoes – from The Splendid Table – makes 6-8 servings
2 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and gristle
2-1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil

Seasonings:
6 whole scallions, ends trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch lengths, and smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
6 cloves garlic, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife, peeled, and sliced thin
6 slices fresh ginger, about the size of a quarter, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
1 teaspoon hot chile paste – we used Garlic Chili Pepper sauce from the Thai section at the store
2 to 3 sticks cinnamon
1 whole star anise, smashed, or 1 teaspoon aniseeds – we used Fennel seeds

Braising Mixture:
4 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine or sake
2 tablespoons sugar
4 sweet potatoes or yams (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons minced scallion greens for garnish

Cut the pork into 1-1/2-inch cubes

Heat the oil until very hot in a 4-quart casserole or a Dutch oven with a lid. Add half the pork pieces. Sear the outside of half the pork over high heat until brown, turning once. Remove and sear the remaining meat. Set aside.

Reheat the pan and oil, add the Seasonings. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds, then add the Braising Mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the pork, bring the liquid to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, stir, cover, and continue cooking for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Serve the pork and potatoes atop a bed of blanched or steamed greens, with some of the braising mixture spooned on top and accompanied by steamed rice.

12 Responses to “Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast”

Rachel — November 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

this sounds really good-will be trying this!

Kerstin — November 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This looks so tasty and easy to make! I need to get a crockpot.

Megan — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I made that recipe last week – and everyone loved it! I only wish I’d gotten pictures…..

oneordinaryday — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

This looks wonderful. Bookmarking right now! Thanks!

Ingrid — November 18, 2009 at 3:26 am

Oh, boy this looks wonderful! I love slow cooker recipes like this. What side did you serve with it? Just veggies?
    ~ingrid

Kat — November 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Both your cranberry recipes look great. I am hoping Santa brings me a new crockpot for Christmas as my previous one was nuclear. This recipe looks so easy. I am not a pie fan so am thinking the cranberry apple dessert would be nice for hubby and I for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing!

Jen — November 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Yep just some steamed veggies.

Kasey — November 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Thanks for the posting!

Krystal — November 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I finally made this recipe after having it bookmarked forever. Thanks to Kelsey for reminding me about it – it was soooo good and it definitely hit the spot!!! Thanks Jen!

Amanda Pronko — December 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I make this every year for Christmas dinner 😀 We always go out for a fancy Christmas Eve dinner, and then we have a huge fancy Christmas Breakfast… by the time Christmas dinner comes around we are wiped out and not really in the mood to cook. This recipe is perfect because I can throw it all in the crock pot on Christmas Eve morning and pop in in the fridge. Then on Christmas day I put it on low and put wild rice in the rice cooker. My family always looks forward to it and we just love how delicious it is. I really wanted to let you know that this has been a tradition for us for about 3-4 years!! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I love hearing stories like this! Family traditions are so heart warming during the holidays 🙂

Liz — January 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

Nice recipe – Thank you. I love slow cooker recipes. Have a Happy Weekend!