12 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Chip Snowballs

This cookies were one of my favorite holiday cookies growing up. I’ve never made them on my own until this year. I’m getting a little cookie-d out *gasp* so I made a 1/2 batch of these. I got exactly 2 dozen cookies using my cookie scoop to portion the dough out. Also, note that this dough is very dry and crumbly. You have to work it with your hands when you make the balls of dough.

These are somewhat messy to eat. It’s almost a guarantee that you’re going to get powdered sugar on yourself. Definitely on your hands and possible splattered down your shirt. But they’re definitely worth the mess. I used 1/2 mini-chips and 1/2 dark chips because I was trying to use up some bags of chips I had in the pantry.

Chocolate Chip Snowballs – recipe came from my mom, but there are tons out there just like it – makes 4 dozen
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chopped nuts – I used walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips – I used 1/2 mini chips and 1/2 dark chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift flour and salt together. set aside.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add egg. Stir in flour, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Shape into 1″ balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15-20 min. Cool and roll in powdered sugar (I like to put powdered sugar in a big ziplock bag and throw a couple cookies in at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat the cookies. Shake cookies or tap against counter to release any extra powdered sugar).

My 12 Days of Cookies:
Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies

19 Responses to “Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting”

Megan — January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ll take any leftovers! They sound amazing. I keep saying dessert recipes with bacon and bookmarking them, but I haven’t tried any yet. Adding this one to the list now too. 🙂

ann — January 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These look so terrific. I love the flavor combinations!

Blog is the New Black — January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m intrigued!

KV — January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

interesting! I have a recipe for chocolate bacon fudge or maybe pb bacon fudge but I’m afraid to try it

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The frosting sounds amazing. I honestly still can’t bring myself to get behind bacon in desserts. Maybe someday I’ll try a bacon cupcake if I’m given one though. 🙂 I can only resist so long.

Jennifer — January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

YUM! These look so good! I haven’t tried the bacon / sweet combo yet, but I’m sure I would love it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks delicious but I’ve got to ask….what is a pirate party?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fun and Fearless – It’s exactly like it sounds… Everyone dresses up as a pirate (or something related – Hubby and I went as Treasure maps last year). They even hire this guy who looks like Captain Jack Sparrow to come and there’s a prize for best costume. One of the best parties of the year!

Cupcake Activist — January 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sounds great! The problem I’ve seen with bacon is that sometimes it is chewy in cupcakes. That’s not good. I like that this recipe says to cook until crispy. Extra crispy for me!

Laura and Alex — January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My favorite candy bar is bacon chocolate!!! I can’t wait to try this 🙂

Carrie — January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look and sound amazing!

Shannon — January 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh yum. after putting bacon in last years cookies this might need to be next 🙂

Corrine — January 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m so curious to try bacon in baked goods, but do you think turkey bacon would work?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Corrine – I’m sure turkey bacon would work if you could get it nice and crispy. I’ve heard that if the bacon isn’t super crispy, it has a really weird chewy texture in baked goods.

Corrine — January 14, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to give it a try!

Evan Thomas — January 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This has just about everything that I would want to go together. Awesome recipe!

Medifast Coupons — January 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is certianly a unqiue mixture of tastes and textures, but it comes together nicely. Definatly a must try!

darcyeats — January 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Chocolate..caramel…bacon…PERFECTION.
    I am infatuated with the perfect smoky/salty addition of bacon into sweet baked goods. So delicious. Of course, I’m kind of a fan of adding bacon into just about anything.
    Great pics, def wanna try these out!

kitchenmisfit — January 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Sorry the cupcakes didn’t turn out like you wanted. Have you ever tried the bacon/chocolate cupcake at Cherry Bomb Bakery in Brighton? They are fantastic!