12 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Chip Snowballs

This cookies were one of my favorite holiday cookies growing up. I’ve never made them on my own until this year. I’m getting a little cookie-d out *gasp* so I made a 1/2 batch of these. I got exactly 2 dozen cookies using my cookie scoop to portion the dough out. Also, note that this dough is very dry and crumbly. You have to work it with your hands when you make the balls of dough.

These are somewhat messy to eat. It’s almost a guarantee that you’re going to get powdered sugar on yourself. Definitely on your hands and possible splattered down your shirt. But they’re definitely worth the mess. I used 1/2 mini-chips and 1/2 dark chips because I was trying to use up some bags of chips I had in the pantry.

Chocolate Chip Snowballs – recipe came from my mom, but there are tons out there just like it – makes 4 dozen
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chopped nuts – I used walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips – I used 1/2 mini chips and 1/2 dark chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift flour and salt together. set aside.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add egg. Stir in flour, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Shape into 1″ balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15-20 min. Cool and roll in powdered sugar (I like to put powdered sugar in a big ziplock bag and throw a couple cookies in at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat the cookies. Shake cookies or tap against counter to release any extra powdered sugar).

My 12 Days of Cookies:
Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies

10 Responses to “Chocolate Fudge Swirl Ice Cream”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — August 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

My ice cream with coconut milk keeps freezing solid, into a very solid rock. Any ideas what the problem is? I have a recipe going up tomorrow, with a disclaimer that you need to defrost it if you freeze it overnight, heh…

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Hm. I have noticed that some of my ice creams do need to sit on the counter for a bit before they’re scoopable. But I haven’t noticed if it’s related to the coconut milk or not… Mine is usually fine after sitting out for 10 minutes or so…

Shannon — August 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

you are on a roll with the frozen treats! sounds like its been a good summer 🙂

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:34 am

I definitely am on a roll this summer… Homemade ice cream is just so dang good.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — August 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Love that you use coconut milk with all of this chocolate!

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

I love the subtle coconut flavor that it provides!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — August 19, 2013 at 9:05 am

So much chocolaty goodness, wow I need this in my life. This ice cream looks beyond amazing!! Pinning :))

Nutmeg Nanny — August 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Chocolate fudge <3 oh my! This looks wonderful!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — August 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

That’s where those extra pounds have come from! Delicious homemade ice cream ruins all diets, but it’s just so yummy! This batch looks fantastic!

• beantownbaker — August 23rd, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Absolutely! It’s so worth it.