Two pies in One pie pan Experiment Results

Here’s my double pie straight out of the oven. Isn’t it pretty?!?

I know everyone is wondering what happened last night after the double pie went into the oven. I ended up baking the double pie for about an hour. The crust that was folded over in the middle didn’t quite bake all the way through, but when I make the pie for the contest, it obviously won’t have that problem.

I let them cool for about 2 hours before cutting into them. Hubby got home from work REALLY late and we had a small piece to try them out. I was glad to see that both pies were baked through.

The pear and cranberry pie was tasted first. The baked pears were delicious but we both thought the cranberries were too tart. The bites without cranberry were heavenly though. I would definitely make this again with maybe dried cranberries or cooked cranberries? Any suggestions? Katie – did I do something wrong? I could still use this recipe for the contest if I needed to, but it would need some work…

Next came the squash pie. OH my goodness this was very good. Very unique and creative. I don’t really know how to describe it. Except imagine a pie that’s made by heating up some butternut squash, then adding some pears, dried cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. After the sugar melts, you stir it all up. The sugar makes this amazing gooey glaze over everything else. Like I said before, I wanted to eat the filling with a spoon. It’s a very good, unexpected fall pie.

So as you may have guess, we both voted for the squash pie. We’re taking the rest of the double pie over to our friend’s house tomorrow so we’ll get their votes too. I’ll also see how the pies hold up over night since I’ll be baking them Sunday night and the contest is Monday at 1:00. And yes, I did consider staying home from work Monday morning to bake, but I thought that would be a bit extreme…

9 Responses to “I’ll have S’more”

Elly — March 11, 2008 at 2:50 am

These look SO good. I was actually looking for s’mores _____ because I wanted to bake something with chocolate and marshmallows. These may be just the thing!

Michelle — March 11, 2008 at 2:58 am

These are so cute! Now I’m craving real smores!

slush — March 11, 2008 at 3:02 am

So freakin cute, I love them, so would my boys. Just today, Liam was picking up sticks in the yard and asked if he could start a fire so that he could make smores. I kid you not. He is 5. Where do they get these ideas?

Adorable Jen! Thanks so much!

CB — March 11, 2008 at 3:03 am

I lurve smores! Your mini smore cupcakes are so fabulous. Great job!
    -Clara

Jaime — March 11, 2008 at 4:43 am

yum! what a great idea!

bakingblonde — March 11, 2008 at 11:55 am

That idea is brilliant! Smores is one of my favorite all time treats and who doesn’t love a mini muffin? Wow, what a great idea.

kate — March 12, 2008 at 3:06 pm

WOW. those look completely luscious!
    want some.
    i’m hoping to enter the hero challenge this time, but i can’t quite decide what to make. . .

———–
    kate
    join the cookie carnival!

Erin — March 19, 2008 at 1:42 pm

These are so wrong, but so right! That batch would be seriously unsafe in my house. They’d have to be given away immediately or I’d risk eating every last one and never fitting in my pants again.

Sarah — March 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

These will be perfect for an upcoming family vacation. We’re not camping, but are renting a house with a fire pit and we usually spend every night out there making s’mores. I can easily make the cupcakes beforehand and then we can roast the marshmallows outside. It will be something cute and different. Thanks for this recipe!!!