Color Week – Red/Pink

My good friends, Steph and Amy, thought up this great idea. In an effort for all of us to get out there and use our cameras more, they started a photography project. Color week consists of taking pictures of different colors every day of the week. Color week actually took place a couple weeks ago. But it was the week my sister was coming into town and things were hectic at work and home so I couldn’t participate. I decided to make this week my color week.

So I set out today after work to take pictures of some red things. I started in my favorite room, the kitchen. Then I just walked around our neighborhood for about an hour and got a few good shots. I’m still pretty new to photography, so I greatly appreciate any comments anyone has for me.

I’m looking forward to participating in the next picture week that Steph is hosting. Starts next Monday – can’t wait to find out what the theme is going to be.

Check out the rest of my color week photos in my Flickr set (including a picture of the REDDEST house you’ve ever seen).

If you read this blog, you know I love to bake. I have a ton of sprinkles that I always seem to forget about. But I do love sprinkles, especially the specialty ones.

Ah, my love, my KitchenAid mixer. Even though our kitchen is very very small, she sits out on the counter at all times. She’s just to big and heavy to put away every day and she’s so pretty why would I want to.

Our neighborhood has these emergency fire alarms all over the place. One of the biggest concerns I had about moving to Boston was feeling safe when I walked around and I’m so glad we ended up where we are.

8 Responses to “Fotography Friday”

Joelen — January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is such a great idea… and for those who are considering purchasing a DSLR, this will prove to be very helpful too!

Steph — January 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I’m in! I have a Canon Rebel. At one point in time, I’d read most of the manual concurrently with a digital photography book. (yeah, I’m nerdy like that) I found it only helps to know where to change the setting if you know the affect will be on your photo. I can’t wait to brush up and learn some new tricks!! Great idea!

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

This is a great topic! The flash is so frustrating. Do you want people to share about equipment and hacks that have to do with the flash? I have found that various ways of diffusing/bouncing the flash has the biggest impact on my photos.

As far as your food photos go, have you considered constructing a light box out of white foam core and a couple clip lights? It would allow you to take your photos even at night but still feel bright and cheery! Just an idea. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Amy – feel free to post about whatever you want. The point is to share what you’ve learned about how to make the flash work for you. I’d love to hear what you do when you use your flash.

I have considered a light box. I had one on my Xmas list 🙂 I’m just worried about storing it in our tiny condo. For now, I just wait for daylight but I would like a light box in the future.

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Totally understanding the lightbox storage concerns. I’m thinking that I’m going to get some white foam core from the store today and play with making one that breaks down easily into a flat stack. I’ll post my experiment. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yea Steph said she was going to make on today. This is the one I had on my Xmas list. I still might get it since it folds up.

Amy Kingman — January 4, 2009 at 1:29 am

Ok, I made a collapsible version of the light box today with your situation in mind. 🙂 Can’t beat that nylon one you’re looking at, but for $6 this one does a pretty good job! Thanks for the challenge! Here’s the light box.

Sara Therese — January 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jen! This is JUST the kind of help I’ve been looking for when it comes to taking pictures. Great idea for Foto Friday! I’m really excited. 🙂