Color Week – Blue

The last day of color week is upon us. Today is blue day. I was so excited to take some blue pictures today. Unfortunately, it rained again today in Boston. There’s one picture in particular that I think will work for another photo week… I’m not a huge fan of using the flash. I much prefer using natural light but since it was dark and rainy and I was stuck inside, I had to use my flash. Again, I’m pretty new to photography so I appreciate any feedback.

I had SO MUCH fun doing color week. I can’t wait for Steph to announce the next photo week (starts on Monday). Check out all my color week photos (including some that weren’t posted here) on my Flickr set.

This is a vase that none other than Steph (co-creator of color week) gave us. Love it. It’s in our blue bathroom on a shelf next to a picture of me and my sisters.

This is looking directly down into the vase. It’s very tall and great for daisies (which I love!)

My sister gave Hubby this Rubix cube for Christmas. We love Rubix cubes. When we first started dating we learned how to do one and we’d race. Hubby could do it under a minute. As you can see this one is a 4×4 so it’s much harder. Hubby hasn’t solved it yet, but he did make a blue face for me to use in this picture. What a sweetie 🙂

8 Responses to “Fotography Friday”

Joelen — January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is such a great idea… and for those who are considering purchasing a DSLR, this will prove to be very helpful too!

Steph — January 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I’m in! I have a Canon Rebel. At one point in time, I’d read most of the manual concurrently with a digital photography book. (yeah, I’m nerdy like that) I found it only helps to know where to change the setting if you know the affect will be on your photo. I can’t wait to brush up and learn some new tricks!! Great idea!

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

This is a great topic! The flash is so frustrating. Do you want people to share about equipment and hacks that have to do with the flash? I have found that various ways of diffusing/bouncing the flash has the biggest impact on my photos.

As far as your food photos go, have you considered constructing a light box out of white foam core and a couple clip lights? It would allow you to take your photos even at night but still feel bright and cheery! Just an idea. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Amy – feel free to post about whatever you want. The point is to share what you’ve learned about how to make the flash work for you. I’d love to hear what you do when you use your flash.

I have considered a light box. I had one on my Xmas list 🙂 I’m just worried about storing it in our tiny condo. For now, I just wait for daylight but I would like a light box in the future.

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Totally understanding the lightbox storage concerns. I’m thinking that I’m going to get some white foam core from the store today and play with making one that breaks down easily into a flat stack. I’ll post my experiment. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yea Steph said she was going to make on today. This is the one I had on my Xmas list. I still might get it since it folds up.

Amy Kingman — January 4, 2009 at 1:29 am

Ok, I made a collapsible version of the light box today with your situation in mind. 🙂 Can’t beat that nylon one you’re looking at, but for $6 this one does a pretty good job! Thanks for the challenge! Here’s the light box.

Sara Therese — January 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jen! This is JUST the kind of help I’ve been looking for when it comes to taking pictures. Great idea for Foto Friday! I’m really excited. 🙂