Blueberry Buckle

Blueberry Buckle is one of those things that I’ve never attempted to make because Hubby speaks so highly of his mother’s Blueberry Buckle. I had never even had Blueberry Buckle before making it and I have to say it’s very yummy. Hubby thought it was a dessert. I thought it was more like a coffee cake with fruit in it.

The day I made this, I sat down to watch some Good Eats off the DVR. And what do you know, my boy Alton Brown made blueberry buckle. And what do you know, AB said that buckle is in fact coffee cake with fruit in it (turns out Hubby thought coffee cake was coffee flavored).

This recipe comes from my mother in law. I have no idea where she got it from. I do love getting recipes from her because she scribbles them in short hand onto a scrap piece of paper.

Blueberry Buckle – from Hubby’s mother
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 egg
1/2 c milk
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 c blueberries (fresh is best)

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9″ square pan.

Mix sugar, shortening, and egg. Add milk. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Gently stir in berries.

Pour batter into pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Add topping for the last 10 minutes of baking.

ToppingCombine following ingredients:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 stick butter

Store buckle in the fridge.

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

feerlessfood.com — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm