Watermelon cupcakes

I saw these Watermelon cupcakes in my Google Reader and I thought they were so cute. Like the perfect summery treat. We were going to a cookout last weekend and I immediately thought of these cupcakes. I wanted to be able to pipe the frosting, so I opted not to flavor them with watermelon. I also didn’t think chocolate and watermelon really go together… So I guess mine are just watermelon look-alike cupcakes.

I made the same chocolate chip cupcakes that I made for the 4th of July, but this time I used mini chips and added some pink and red food coloring to the batter. For the frosting, I made my favorite buttercream. I actually made two shades of green that I wanted to swirl together. The swirling didn’t go as planned, so really all you can see is dark green frosting, not the lighter lime green frosting. Everyone enjoyed the summery (looking) cupcakes.
Chocolate Chip cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Crazy Delicious – original recipe from Martha Stewart – makes 24
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour (toss to coat chocolate chips)
Few drops pink and red food coloring

Mix the dry ingredients

Add butter

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla

Add wet ingredients 1/3 at a time to the dry ingredients

Stir in food coloring and chocolate chips – be sure to coat the chips with flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking

Bake for 17-22 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean

Vanilla and Buttercream

2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk – I used whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Few drops green and yellow food coloring

Beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl

Add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined. Add food coloring until desired color is reached.

Add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)

22 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes”

DeliciousDish — March 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I NEED to make these. I might just start on them tonight!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

These look amazing! I would go into a sugar coma because I would probably want to eat at least three of these gems…haha.

Melissa — March 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh wow these are my dream dessert! I hope you bring these ones to Cupcake Camp!!

Erin — March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I too have been meaning to make these cupcakes since I first saw them on the internet. I love that you combined several recipes from different bloggers. Awesome recipes, unite!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Like I said, it’s a multi-step process, so starting part of it tonight might be a good idea. If you make them, I definitely want one. These were so good.

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh that’s a thought… I still haven’t decided what I’m baking for Cupcake Camp…

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Definitely give it a shot. They take some time, but it’s SO worth it.

Shannon — March 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for quite a while as well. My mother-in-law LOVES cookie dough and her birthday is coming up. From all the versions I’ve seen floating around on the internet, I really like yours since you have the LOTS of cookie dough in the middle of your cupcakes. So, you baked the cupcakes with the frozen cookie dough inside? No problems with it baking up? I’m definitely trying this!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yep, just dropped the dough into the cupcake batter before baking it. The cupcakes did rise up quite a bit and then sank back down as they cooled. I was a little concerned I had underbaked them, but they were delicious. Definitely let me know how they turn out for you if you make them.

Jessica — March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

oh my Lord these look amazing! I’m having a girls night next weekend and I’m def going to try these! Thanks!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Once again Jen, you impress me with your creativity!

Sarah C — March 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I want, no NEED, to make these. Does it matter what size your cookie scoop is? Mine is a medium size with about 1.5 tbsp volume. Want to make sure it won’t be too much that it prevents the cupcake from baking up (because honestly, it’s not possible for it to be too much cookie dough).

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m honestly not sure what size my cookie scoop is. It doesn’t have any markings on it to give an indication! I think it’s the standard cookie scoop you’d get at the grocery store if that helps at all… I think 1.5 Tbsp sounds about right though.

Carrie — March 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m already trying to decide what occasion to make them for.

Cara — March 31, 2011 at 2:07 am

I’m still waiting to try these. Just sayin’. 😉

ErinsFoodFiles — March 31, 2011 at 3:14 am

WOW! Talk about decadent!

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Well I *might* be making these for Cupcake Camp. So, if you make the trip into Boston for that, you might be able to have one! Too bad they’re not appropriate for Passover.

Rebel Mel — March 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Who needs dessert at 8am???

I’ll give you one hint.

Me.

😉

Bookmarking this! I’ve been meaning to make these cupcakes for a while now!

DyingforChocolate.com — April 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Will be making these soon. What a great twist.. the cookie is actually a cookie in the baking process. Yum!

Jene — April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

OH. EM. GEE. I’m SO making these for euchre night on Saturday, just to have an excuse.

Lovemytheekidz — March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I found this recipeast summer and have made it several times for my oldest child, who has requested it again-for her sweet sixteen birthday. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

So glad you enjoy it! This is one of our favorite cupcake recipes of all time.