Watermelon cupcakes

I saw these Watermelon cupcakes in my Google Reader and I thought they were so cute. Like the perfect summery treat. We were going to a cookout last weekend and I immediately thought of these cupcakes. I wanted to be able to pipe the frosting, so I opted not to flavor them with watermelon. I also didn’t think chocolate and watermelon really go together… So I guess mine are just watermelon look-alike cupcakes.

I made the same chocolate chip cupcakes that I made for the 4th of July, but this time I used mini chips and added some pink and red food coloring to the batter. For the frosting, I made my favorite buttercream. I actually made two shades of green that I wanted to swirl together. The swirling didn’t go as planned, so really all you can see is dark green frosting, not the lighter lime green frosting. Everyone enjoyed the summery (looking) cupcakes.
Chocolate Chip cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Crazy Delicious – original recipe from Martha Stewart – makes 24
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour (toss to coat chocolate chips)
Few drops pink and red food coloring

Mix the dry ingredients

Add butter

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla

Add wet ingredients 1/3 at a time to the dry ingredients

Stir in food coloring and chocolate chips – be sure to coat the chips with flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking

Bake for 17-22 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean

Vanilla and Buttercream

2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk – I used whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Few drops green and yellow food coloring

Beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl

Add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined. Add food coloring until desired color is reached.

Add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)

12 Responses to “S’mores Cupcakes”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I think we both know that I’m not a baker…yet I still think I need a kitchen torch! Can I help that I’m addicted to kitchen gadgets?

Eliana — October 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love using my kitchen torch. I think I will have whip it out soon to make these beauties. They look super delish.

Courtney — October 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

These are ADORABLE! I don’t even like S’mores, but I might try these.

Daisy — October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Kinda jealous of your kitchen torch. These smores goodies have me drooling all week!

Jen — October 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm

These look great — love s’mores cupcakes. I love making these because the kitchen torch is fun to play with.

stephchows — October 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm

ok now all I want is smores in every variety possible LOL YUM!!!!!! thanks so much for the vote!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This looks so heavenly! I’ll be dreaming about that frosting tonight…

Jami — October 10, 2010 at 3:20 am

I recently made some s’mores cupcakes using a piece of graham cracker as a crust, but I thought it tasted salty. Of course, I used a mix, which probably did have added salt. I am going to try this method. I’d also love to try the torch! woo hoo!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:39 am

These look delicious! I have got to try that marshmallow frosting…sounds amazing!

Xiaolu — October 18, 2010 at 12:53 am

I made and blogged about these and they’re so delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I did increase the amounts of everything but the cake batter since I had so much left over.

breader33 — January 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm

These are just, amazing. i used the Hershey’s ‘special dark’ cocoa powder, and they were to die for. i will definitely be making these again.

The Addicted Baker — March 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I just made delicious s’more cupcakes. Check it out: http://theaddictedbaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/smore-cookies.html