Salmon, goat cheese and spinach wrapped in Phyllo dough

Mele Cotte’s Deep Freeze Challenge has come at the perfect time. Hubby and I are trying to empty our freezer out in preparation for our upcoming kitchen renovation. We’ve had phyllo dough in there since we moved in and I decided to just use some of it up already. I also had some goat cheese and spinach in the freezer. By combining the idea of stuffed chicken and phyllo wrapped salmon, I came up with this idea.
This was my first time working with phyllo dough and it was tougher than I expected. My dough wasn’t completely defrosted so I did have some piece break. But I was able to patch it up well enough. Hubby absolutely loved these. He ate two. They are definitely quite tasty!

Salmon, goat cheese and spinach wrapped in Phyllo dough – Adapted from Annie’s Eats – makes 4Salmon fillets – 4 servings
16 sheets phyllo dough
melted butter – I used Earth Balance
4 oz goat cheese
1 pkg frozen spinach

Defrost spinach. Preheat the oven to 400°.

On a work surface, lay down one piece of phyllo dough (use parchment or waxed paper underneath to help with cleanup). Brush lightly with melted butter.

Repeat until 6 sheets (I used 4 sheets) of phyllo are layered on top of each other. Place a spoonful of spinach at an angle near the corner of the phyllo stack. Place one salmon fillet on top of spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1/4 of the goat cheese on top of the salmon. Add another small amount of spinach on top of the cheese.

Fold corner and then sides of the phyllo stack over the salmon, and then roll up, burrito-style, keeping all sides of phyllo folded in. Trim off any excess. Place seam side down on a baking sheet and brush top with more melted butter.

Repeat the process with the second (and third and forth) salmon fillet. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown.

9 Responses to “Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)”

webbie — July 24, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Welcome to the BBs. I did cucumber towers with mine the first time I made this, then stuffed cherry tomatoes and new potatoes for a work event today.

Your pics are great. Wish I’d thought of the salt.:-)

Sophie — July 24, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jen,

I just discovered your blog :). I’m Sophie from Flour Arrangements. In just about a week I’ll be moving to Boston (actually Cambridge) from Austin, and I’m hoping to start a cooking group when I get there. I actually TRY to cook dairy free too (although sometimes I need a little dairy in there, ya know?); so it’d be cool to have a fellow ‘somewhat non-dairy’ foodie in the group! Drop me a comment on my blog, or even an email, if you’re interested. It’s nice meeting you!

Oh, and feel free to tell any of your friends about it :).

Sophie
    Flour Arrangements

Ivy — July 24, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Wow, these look really good and refreshing! NIICE!

Joelen — July 24, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Your idea of stuffing them into tomatoes is great! And great tip on using salt!

Esi — July 24, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I love how you presented the dip. Nice work!

Inna's Culinary Inventions — July 25, 2008 at 2:52 am

What a wonderful idea to stuff tomatoes! These look great!

giz — July 25, 2008 at 8:19 pm

These would be fun to make. I’ll bet the hardest part was scooping out the tomatoes. They make for a delicious and colourful appetizer.

Megan — July 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

excellent use of a dip! Love the salt idea.

Janna — July 31, 2008 at 5:10 pm

THIS LOOKS MARVELOUS! I need to start back again with BB now that we are settled in the new digs.