Panzanella – Barefoot Bloggers

For my second installment of Barefoot Bloggers I made Panzanella. I’ve never even heard of this before but hubby and I both loved it. The salad was very flavorful and colorful. Perfect for any summertime meal. The bread crutons got a little soggy by the end of the meal, so if I were traveling with this, I’d definitely add them at the last minute. Thanks Melissa for choosing this recipe. We’ll definitely be making this again sometime soon.

The best part of this salad is that with comes together so quickly. Hubby chopped all the veggies while I did the bread. Then we mixed it all together and sat down to eat.

Panzanella – from Barefoot Contessa Parties! (pg 102)
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add more oil as needed.

For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.

In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.

8 Responses to “Great American Taste Test – KFC biscuits”

Stephanie Wagner — September 15, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Looks like these turned out great! I’m surprised they didn’t call for brushing some egg on top of the biscuits before cooking, that might get that top a little crispier…I totally want to make some of these Saturday morning.

Katy ~ — September 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

These look very good to me. I have a favorite biscuit recipe, but want to give these a try because of the buttermilk.

Have been following your blog for a while. Nice blog!

Jen — September 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree Steph. Or maybe just melted butter to give it the color.

tom — September 16, 2009 at 12:51 pm

If you want to compare even more recipes from many of the popular sites, take a look at RecipeComparison.com. Just search for “buttermilk biscuits” and you’ll see all the ingredients nicely laid out in a table with a link to jump directly to each recipe.

Food Lady — March 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I worked at a KFC in the mid-90s. I had privy to the ingredients lists and methods. The biscuits came frozen and had egg in the dough. We brushed the tops after baking with butter-flavored oil that is commonly used in the restaurant industry. I remember thinking that the egg was unusual; I hadn’t seen many biscuit recipes calling for egg, and I have been baking since I was 8.

Dawn — April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

kfc.com does not list eggs in their food allergy listing for the biscuits, just an fyi

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I, too, worked at a KFC when I was a teenager. The biscuits were not frozen. It was a bag mix and we mixed it with a large tub of shortening. Then mixed, rolled, cut and baked. We topped with a “liquid butter” substance fresh from the oven. They may make them frozen now, but they didn’t in the early 90’s.

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh, and there are NO eggs in the mix. Otherwise, it would be a cake, not a biscuit. That is common baking “science”.