Champagne cupcakes

As I mentioned in the Strawberry cupcake post, I made 6 dozen cupcakes for a cousin’s graduation party. I wanted to try the champagne cupcakes since they seemed fitting for the celebratory occasion.

The cake was deliciously moist and had a great texture. The frosting did as well. I couldn’t really taste a strong champagne flavor but hubby said he really could. They were definitely a hit.

Champagne Cupcakes – from Crazy about Cupcakes
2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup champagne
6 large egg whites, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with champagne.

In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter until blended, then fold in the remaining egg whites until well blended.

Fill the cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Baker for ~20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan.

Once completely cooled, brush 1 Tbsp of champagne onto the tops of the cupcakes.
Champagne Frosting – from Crazy about Cupcakes
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp champagne
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

In a large bowl beat the shortening and butter until combined. Add the champagne. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.

8 Responses to “Superbowl Dessert Sneak Peak”

admin — February 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

such a cute idea!

Jeanette — February 6, 2010 at 8:51 pm

You are so creative!

Carlos — February 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Woohoo can’t wait for the party!

A Scientist in the Kitchen — February 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

I’m having my first Superbowl Sunday ever, and I can’t wait for the food! Did I say I’m also having my first snow? 🙂

Gay

Sunshine — February 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

My sister and I did something similar last night. We got a box of white cake mix, followed the instructions, separated it into 2 bowls, and dyed one bowl a dark blue and the other black. After baking, we dyed a bowl of frosting yellow for the black cupcakes and left the rest white. They look pretty cool, and we can’t wait for the family to see it. Next time, I’m going to try the team logos. Thanks for the good idea.

Cookie is my hero! — February 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Wow, let those creative juices flow! I like this idea ALOT :p

The Utts — September 6, 2010 at 12:22 am

What brand of candy melts did you use? I’m having a hard time finding the dark blue. I am wondering if I can take the light blue ones and tint them darker.

Jen — September 12, 2010 at 1:00 am

The Utts – I found the dark blue candy melts at AC Moore about a year ago. I know Wilton doesn’t make dark blue. I found them online as well since I can’t remember what brand they were. Here’s a link to where you can order some online.