Champagne cupcakes

As I mentioned in the Strawberry cupcake post, I made 6 dozen cupcakes for a cousin’s graduation party. I wanted to try the champagne cupcakes since they seemed fitting for the celebratory occasion.

The cake was deliciously moist and had a great texture. The frosting did as well. I couldn’t really taste a strong champagne flavor but hubby said he really could. They were definitely a hit.

Champagne Cupcakes – from Crazy about Cupcakes
2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup champagne
6 large egg whites, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with champagne.

In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter until blended, then fold in the remaining egg whites until well blended.

Fill the cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Baker for ~20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan.

Once completely cooled, brush 1 Tbsp of champagne onto the tops of the cupcakes.
Champagne Frosting – from Crazy about Cupcakes
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp champagne
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

In a large bowl beat the shortening and butter until combined. Add the champagne. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.

9 Responses to “I’ll have S’more”

Elly — March 11, 2008 at 2:50 am

These look SO good. I was actually looking for s’mores _____ because I wanted to bake something with chocolate and marshmallows. These may be just the thing!

Michelle — March 11, 2008 at 2:58 am

These are so cute! Now I’m craving real smores!

slush — March 11, 2008 at 3:02 am

So freakin cute, I love them, so would my boys. Just today, Liam was picking up sticks in the yard and asked if he could start a fire so that he could make smores. I kid you not. He is 5. Where do they get these ideas?

Adorable Jen! Thanks so much!

CB — March 11, 2008 at 3:03 am

I lurve smores! Your mini smore cupcakes are so fabulous. Great job!
    -Clara

Jaime — March 11, 2008 at 4:43 am

yum! what a great idea!

bakingblonde — March 11, 2008 at 11:55 am

That idea is brilliant! Smores is one of my favorite all time treats and who doesn’t love a mini muffin? Wow, what a great idea.

kate — March 12, 2008 at 3:06 pm

WOW. those look completely luscious!
    want some.
    i’m hoping to enter the hero challenge this time, but i can’t quite decide what to make. . .

———–
    kate
    join the cookie carnival!

Erin — March 19, 2008 at 1:42 pm

These are so wrong, but so right! That batch would be seriously unsafe in my house. They’d have to be given away immediately or I’d risk eating every last one and never fitting in my pants again.

Sarah — March 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

These will be perfect for an upcoming family vacation. We’re not camping, but are renting a house with a fire pit and we usually spend every night out there making s’mores. I can easily make the cupcakes beforehand and then we can roast the marshmallows outside. It will be something cute and different. Thanks for this recipe!!!