Champagne cupcakes

As I mentioned in the Strawberry cupcake post, I made 6 dozen cupcakes for a cousin’s graduation party. I wanted to try the champagne cupcakes since they seemed fitting for the celebratory occasion.

The cake was deliciously moist and had a great texture. The frosting did as well. I couldn’t really taste a strong champagne flavor but hubby said he really could. They were definitely a hit.

Champagne Cupcakes – from Crazy about Cupcakes
2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup champagne
6 large egg whites, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with champagne.

In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter until blended, then fold in the remaining egg whites until well blended.

Fill the cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Baker for ~20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan.

Once completely cooled, brush 1 Tbsp of champagne onto the tops of the cupcakes.
Champagne Frosting – from Crazy about Cupcakes
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp champagne
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

In a large bowl beat the shortening and butter until combined. Add the champagne. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.

17 Responses to “Browned Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies”

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

I have my tried and true ATK version but I always love discovering new chocolate chip cookie recipes!

Elizabeth — March 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Brown butter makes everything better!

In and Around Town — March 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

I am pretty boring with chocolate chip cookies and stick with the recipe on the back of the bag, but the size of these and the twist on ingredients makes me want to give these a go!

Mrs. Williams — March 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

I use half the bag of chips too – I like them that way! 🙂 I might have to give this one a shot – I really liked the brown butter oatmeal chocolate chip I made last week.

Judy — March 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love trying new ccc recipes also.  You don’t mention what the texture of the cookie is.  I like crispy edges and chewy centers, very hard to find.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — March 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

Well, I know what’s happening with the half block of cream cheese in my fridge just waiting to be used up! Cookies are in my future, score. 😉

Colleen — March 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love adding sea salt to chocolate things! I haven’t tried it on chocolate chip cookies, but it sounds delicious.

Carrie's Sweet Life — March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

These look awesome, I am still searching for the perfect recipe!

PB and Peppers — March 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

The cookies sound amazing!  I love the addition of cream cheese!  CC is my favorite cookie and I am terrified to make them because I have no self control.  I love the dough and I love the cookie!!

Megan — April 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

These sound like they take the best components of all my favorite cookies (browned butter, a sprinkling of sea salt) and merge them together.

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I always stick with Tollhouse cookies. I need to open my eyes to the wide world of chocolate chip cookies varieties out there!

Courtney — April 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

I made these today and they were fantastic–thanks for sharing the recipe! (*^_^*)

mega — May 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

aahh this is recipe that i looking for to make choco chip cookies… thank you for post it 🙂

Kaila — January 4, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Made these but didn’t know you have to refrigerate the dough prior to baking hope they come out okay!

• beantownbaker — January 5th, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

They should still turn out ok. They might spread a bit more than mine do. Let me know how they come out!

Arghavan — February 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Made these with the kiddies today and WOW! They are delicious! It made a lot of dough though (I made smaller cookies than the recipe called for), can I freeze the dough in small balls?

Jess — February 19, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Making these today! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. I have another great brown butter choc chip recipe but never tried with cream cheese. Thought I would share my tip for the sea salt…I love a salted cookie! I wait until the cookies have cooled 5 minutes before sprinkling, it’s not too hot that the salt sinks into the batter but not too cold that the salt just bounces off.