Blueberry Muffins

We had some blueberries that my mother-in-law gave us. Hubby wanted his favorite dessert – blueberry pie. I knew that we’d be eating a lot of junk this coming week with the holiday and with family in town, so I wanted to make something more healthy to use up the blueberries.

I didn’t have any ripe bananas to make my go-to blueberry muffin recipe, so instead I thought I’d try this one from Katie’s blog. Everything I’ve made from her blog has been amazing and this was no exception. I read that Katie uses a mixture of flours in hers so I did the same. I had some brown rice flour and whole wheat flour from previous baking adventures, so I used some of that up.

These muffins are great. They’re fairly dense and full of blueberries. I was worried about how many the recipe would make since it uses 4 1/2 cups of flour. It made 21 for me. As usual, I put them each in individual ziploc bags (once cooled) and popped them into the freezer.
Katie’s Dad’s famous Blueberry Muffins (from Good Things Catered) – makes ~2 dozen4 1/4 c. flour – I used 3/4 c whole wheat flour, 2 c brown rice flour, 1 1/2 c AP flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 pint blueberries fresh frozen (not that store-bought gooey, melty junk, REAL blueberries, put in the freezer) – I used 1 pint fresh blueberries
1 1/2 c. water
3 heaping Tbsp yogurt
1 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 Tbsp oil – I used applesauce instead
3 eggs (2 whites, one with yolk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp dried orange zest – Mine wasn’t dried
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a nonstick muffin tin with baking spray.

In medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.

Set aside.

In blender (or, if you’re me…your stand mixer) add yogurt, water, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and sugar and blend until completely combined. (I accidentally put the sugar in with my dry ingredients! The muffins turned out ok though)

Pour wet ingredients into a large bowl (or just keep them in the stand mixer bowl).

Add blueberries to dry ingredients and toss to combine.

Slowly fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a large wooden spoon until just combined (there will be small bits of flour still present).

Spoon batter into muffin tins, dividing evenly (you are filling these all the way up. Almost OVER full. Trust me, they are big, but they won’t spill over if your baking powder is good.)

Sprinkle sugar over tops of each muffin (about 1 tsp per 6 muffins)

Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes.

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

feerlessfood.com — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm