Blueberry Muffins

We had some blueberries that my mother-in-law gave us. Hubby wanted his favorite dessert – blueberry pie. I knew that we’d be eating a lot of junk this coming week with the holiday and with family in town, so I wanted to make something more healthy to use up the blueberries.

I didn’t have any ripe bananas to make my go-to blueberry muffin recipe, so instead I thought I’d try this one from Katie’s blog. Everything I’ve made from her blog has been amazing and this was no exception. I read that Katie uses a mixture of flours in hers so I did the same. I had some brown rice flour and whole wheat flour from previous baking adventures, so I used some of that up.

These muffins are great. They’re fairly dense and full of blueberries. I was worried about how many the recipe would make since it uses 4 1/2 cups of flour. It made 21 for me. As usual, I put them each in individual ziploc bags (once cooled) and popped them into the freezer.
Katie’s Dad’s famous Blueberry Muffins (from Good Things Catered) – makes ~2 dozen4 1/4 c. flour – I used 3/4 c whole wheat flour, 2 c brown rice flour, 1 1/2 c AP flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 pint blueberries fresh frozen (not that store-bought gooey, melty junk, REAL blueberries, put in the freezer) – I used 1 pint fresh blueberries
1 1/2 c. water
3 heaping Tbsp yogurt
1 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 Tbsp oil – I used applesauce instead
3 eggs (2 whites, one with yolk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp dried orange zest – Mine wasn’t dried
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a nonstick muffin tin with baking spray.

In medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.

Set aside.

In blender (or, if you’re me…your stand mixer) add yogurt, water, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and sugar and blend until completely combined. (I accidentally put the sugar in with my dry ingredients! The muffins turned out ok though)

Pour wet ingredients into a large bowl (or just keep them in the stand mixer bowl).

Add blueberries to dry ingredients and toss to combine.

Slowly fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a large wooden spoon until just combined (there will be small bits of flour still present).

Spoon batter into muffin tins, dividing evenly (you are filling these all the way up. Almost OVER full. Trust me, they are big, but they won’t spill over if your baking powder is good.)

Sprinkle sugar over tops of each muffin (about 1 tsp per 6 muffins)

Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes.

11 Responses to “Spice Apple Bars”

Amanda — January 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could run home & bake these right now! They look so delicious & how could you go wrong with apples & cinnamon? I can’t wait to try these soon.

Katie — January 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

They look so good! I LOOOVE the cute apple backround too! 🙂 🙂

Joelen — January 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

These look great!

bensbaby116 — January 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I made these from Katie’s blog in the fall and took them to a school function. One of my student’s dads ate several of them. A few weeks later I made chocolate chip cookies because they’re usually a hit with everyone there, and the same dad was like “awww. where are those apple bars? I was hoping for those again.” 🙂 They are truly wonderful!

Jen — January 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I agree! These are amazing. I send baked goods with hubby about once a week and these got so many more comments than usual. I’m actually making them again this weekend.

Megan — January 29, 2009 at 4:15 am

I saw that recipe last year, and I wish I had made them. They look so good.

Julie — January 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Free manual labor in exchange for apple bars? Sounds like a deal to me. I’ll have to offer that up next time I have to call a plumber 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 17, 2009 at 12:22 am

Scott made these tonight and they were AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING!

Amanda — February 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I made these this weekend….they were fantastic! At 10 last night Sam had to ask me “are you still eating that apple cake?” Yes. I was. I saved one more piece for after work today!

creativecarryout — February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oh, my dad would love these. I have an apple bread recipe that he always requests. I’ll bookmark this one to try too. Thanks.
    Michelle

Carly — April 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I made these yesterday and think they are fabulous! So gooey, but so much better the next day! Thankyou for sharing! =)