Cookie Dough Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes

I love ice cream. I mean I really love ice cream. Hubby loves it too. When we do our weekly shopping we always grab a pint for each of us. That’s our evening snack throughout the week. It seriously breaks my heart when I have to watch him eat amazing flavors like Ben and Jerry’s Cinnamon Roll or Caramel Sutra and I’m stuck with Soy dream something.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some decent dairy-free ice creams out there, but the texture just isn’t the same. Whether it’s made from tofu, rice, or soy, there’s always a grittiness and not as much creaminess. Sometimes I just suck it up and suffer through the pain of eating ice cream (even with Lactaid pills) because it’s just worth it sometimes. I decided that this blogging event was worth a stomach ache. And boy am I glad I did.

Hubby picked his favorite ice cream – cookie dough. I picked my favorite cupcake – chocolate. Together we made one amazing treat. When I was little, I used to love to take a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream and mix them together until it was one uniform bowl of mush. It always grossed my dad out, but it’s great. I added a layer of mush to my cupcakes as well and topped with some chocolate cream cheese frosting.

Here are the steps I took to make these treats:
Send hubby to the store for ice cream 🙂

Make my go-to chocolate cupcake. I filled the liners a little less than 1/2 full and baked for 8 minutes.

Once the cupcakes cooled, I popped the whole tray into the freezer and took out the ice cream.

Mix about 4 of the cupcakes with a couple scoops of ice cream. Using a spatula, spread some of the cake/ice cream mixture onto the cold cupcakes. Pop back into the freezer.

Using a spatula again, spread some of the softened ice cream into the top of the cupcake mixture and pop back into the freezer until ice cream is hard again.

Pipe my favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting (without the chili powder) on top of the ice cream.

Enjoy!!

14 Responses to “It’s a boy! Dipped Oreo Pops”

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Cute idea and they look so easy to make. Must try.

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

And the stick makes them perfect for milk dipping.

jess @ pen n' paperflowers — May 13, 2010 at 6:48 pm

oh my…i’ve tried my hand at these and just about every oreo ended up cracking when i tried to insert the stick. *frowny face* not even dipping the sticks first seemed to help? do you have any suggestions on how to slide them in without any hiccups. *wink*
    thank you SO much for your help…yours came out adorable!

We Are Not Martha — May 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Wow, these are such a great favor idea! They look easy, but impressive (and delicious)!

Sues

Sarah — May 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I am loving all of these new parents/new baby posts, because friends of ours just had a baby boy last week and I can just do everything you’re doing! 🙂

Jess@pen – are you using Double Stuffed Oreos? If you’re using regular Oreos, maybe the center isn’t thick enough to support the lollipop stick between the cookie ends. Or maybe the lollipop stick isn’t thin enough (do they even make different sizes?). Just thinking out loud. Good luck. 🙂

Jen — May 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm

jen@pen – I agree with Sarah, be sure to use double stuff Oreos and thin sticks. You’ll notice that the craft store has at least two thicknesses of sticks. You want the thinnest ones. I did slide the sticks in slowly but didn’t have any issues with breaking cookies.

Kara — May 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Why must this kind of thing be posted when I’m trying to lose weight? 😉

Kim @ Frost Me! — June 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

YUM! I love the idea of doing the initial on them!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

Shawnda — February 22, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just choose to tell you a piece of writing is really as awesome. All of the picture quality in your own place is definitely fascinating and are able to feel you’re an experienced for this idea. Fantastic along with your agreement i can to seize ones give food to to continue modified together with upcoming publish. Thx one million and you need to maintain this worthwhile succeed.

facebook.com — August 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Awesome post.

Pam — February 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

How far ahead can you make these and will the Oreo get soggy ?

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

We made them a week in advance and the Oreos did not get soggy.

Christina — March 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I can totally see the hiccups @jess, the Double Stuf Oreos have a far more thin and brittle cookie than the original Oreos. They crumble, split and crack very easily, I would imagine irregardless of stuffing volume, the structural integrity of the original Oreo cookie would hold up better for this project.

Lana — January 29, 2016 at 3:40 am