Cookie Dough Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes

I love ice cream. I mean I really love ice cream. Hubby loves it too. When we do our weekly shopping we always grab a pint for each of us. That’s our evening snack throughout the week. It seriously breaks my heart when I have to watch him eat amazing flavors like Ben and Jerry’s Cinnamon Roll or Caramel Sutra and I’m stuck with Soy dream something.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some decent dairy-free ice creams out there, but the texture just isn’t the same. Whether it’s made from tofu, rice, or soy, there’s always a grittiness and not as much creaminess. Sometimes I just suck it up and suffer through the pain of eating ice cream (even with Lactaid pills) because it’s just worth it sometimes. I decided that this blogging event was worth a stomach ache. And boy am I glad I did.

Hubby picked his favorite ice cream – cookie dough. I picked my favorite cupcake – chocolate. Together we made one amazing treat. When I was little, I used to love to take a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream and mix them together until it was one uniform bowl of mush. It always grossed my dad out, but it’s great. I added a layer of mush to my cupcakes as well and topped with some chocolate cream cheese frosting.

Here are the steps I took to make these treats:
Send hubby to the store for ice cream 🙂

Make my go-to chocolate cupcake. I filled the liners a little less than 1/2 full and baked for 8 minutes.

Once the cupcakes cooled, I popped the whole tray into the freezer and took out the ice cream.

Mix about 4 of the cupcakes with a couple scoops of ice cream. Using a spatula, spread some of the cake/ice cream mixture onto the cold cupcakes. Pop back into the freezer.

Using a spatula again, spread some of the softened ice cream into the top of the cupcake mixture and pop back into the freezer until ice cream is hard again.

Pipe my favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting (without the chili powder) on top of the ice cream.

Enjoy!!

18 Responses to “Samoas Rice Krispies Treats”

Monica — February 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

If Carlos claims this is the best thing you have ever made … I might have to make them tonight!

• beantownbaker — February 10th, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Let me know if you do. I was seriously SHOCKED when he said that.

erin — February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

OH. MY. LORD.

Aimee@shugarysweets — February 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I can see why these are the best ever!!!! Love Samoas!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I grew up calling them Samoas and didn’t like them when I was selling them, but have since grown to love them. Great twist on a traditional rice krispie treat!

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I can’t tell if the naming thing is regional or not. I know people who grew up in Indiana like me who call them Samoas. They’ll always be Caramel Delites to me.

Dina — February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am

they look sooooo good!

vanillasugarblog — February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Sharing these in my friday link roundup!
    Everyone needs to see these!

• beantownbaker — February 13th, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks for sharing them!!

Shannon — February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

oh jeez. caramel de lites here, too 🙂 these sound killer!

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

You’re the first person I’ve met who calls them Caramel de Lites too!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — February 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’ve been wondering why they aren’t always called Samoas!

stephanie — March 18, 2014 at 7:48 am

Are the pecans there for the Samoa flavor or just an extra addition?

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:03 am

They add some texture but you could leave them out if you wanted.

Justin — March 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awesome recipe! Let me provide a little insight to the naming of the cookies (Caramel deLights vs Samoas my wife is a girl scout troop leader). The girl scouts rely on a few bakeries to produce their cookies. Caramel deLights are made by one bakery, while Samoas are made by another.

Erin — April 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

Just made these – very tasty, but I had a lot of trouble with the caramel layer. It hardened so much, I couldn’t cut the squares. I had to heat them up a bit to cut through the caramel, and then they got rather sticky and did not cut cleanly. Followed directions exactly, not sure what went wrong…

Shannon C — May 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm

On Sunday nights, my hubby leads a college-age Bible study group and I use the kids/young adults as my guinea pigs for trying new recipes. I made these yesterday and they LOVED them. Thank you for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

So glad these were a hit for you! This has become my most frequently made and requested recipe that I’ve made.