Cookie Dough Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes

I love ice cream. I mean I really love ice cream. Hubby loves it too. When we do our weekly shopping we always grab a pint for each of us. That’s our evening snack throughout the week. It seriously breaks my heart when I have to watch him eat amazing flavors like Ben and Jerry’s Cinnamon Roll or Caramel Sutra and I’m stuck with Soy dream something.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some decent dairy-free ice creams out there, but the texture just isn’t the same. Whether it’s made from tofu, rice, or soy, there’s always a grittiness and not as much creaminess. Sometimes I just suck it up and suffer through the pain of eating ice cream (even with Lactaid pills) because it’s just worth it sometimes. I decided that this blogging event was worth a stomach ache. And boy am I glad I did.

Hubby picked his favorite ice cream – cookie dough. I picked my favorite cupcake – chocolate. Together we made one amazing treat. When I was little, I used to love to take a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream and mix them together until it was one uniform bowl of mush. It always grossed my dad out, but it’s great. I added a layer of mush to my cupcakes as well and topped with some chocolate cream cheese frosting.

Here are the steps I took to make these treats:
Send hubby to the store for ice cream 🙂

Make my go-to chocolate cupcake. I filled the liners a little less than 1/2 full and baked for 8 minutes.

Once the cupcakes cooled, I popped the whole tray into the freezer and took out the ice cream.

Mix about 4 of the cupcakes with a couple scoops of ice cream. Using a spatula, spread some of the cake/ice cream mixture onto the cold cupcakes. Pop back into the freezer.

Using a spatula again, spread some of the softened ice cream into the top of the cupcake mixture and pop back into the freezer until ice cream is hard again.

Pipe my favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting (without the chili powder) on top of the ice cream.

Enjoy!!

13 Responses to “Chocolate M&M Cookies”

Katie — October 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Jen, I totally love your blog. You always ahve the BEST treats! I LOVE the picture with all the cookies resting on the m&ms. GREAT idea! 🙂

Jigginjessica — October 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Looks beautiful as always!

stephchows — October 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

perfect use of pink! So interesting about how the cookies reacted to the way you rolled them! Thanks for the heads up!

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Your cookies look great and that’s a good tip about getting them to look their best too. My kids and all their friends love these cookies. I’ve made them a few times since I first posted them and they never last long.
    thanks for the link!
    ~ Michelle

Chocolate Shavings — October 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Those are beautiful and perfect for such a great cause

The Novice Chef — October 21, 2009 at 7:32 pm

What an adorable picture! Also helps that they are for a great cause! 🙂

Natalie — October 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

M&Ms are my favorite treat and I love that during this month everything is PINK! The cookies look fantastic.

Kat — October 21, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I am bummed I missed your Power of Pink contest as I was utilizing October to raise awareness around breast cancer too! I made some cookies and have a post on my site: http://katskitchenplace.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html
    I like the chocolate cookie base of your cookies! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to checking back and seeing all what people make towards your challenge 🙂

tastestopping — October 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

A chocolate cookie topped with chocolate candies? What could be better? Perhaps a tall, ice cold glass of milk to go with them! They look divine. I’m wondering if you might skip the rolling and flattening by creating a wide log of dough (without M&Ms), slicing to the thickness desired, then pressing candies on top? Seems like the dough might be fairly easy to shape into a log. A quick pop into the fridge before slicing would help firm it up. Just a thought! I can’t wait to try them.

Best,
    Casey

P.S. Not sure if I’ve invited you before, but I’d love to publish any of your photos that FoodGawker and TasteSpotting decline! Thanks. 😀

nutmegnanny — October 23, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love the dark chocolate and pink M&M contrast. What fantastic cookies:)

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just made your recipe for these cookies yesterday and took them to church. The kids went nuts and they’ve never turned out as pretty as they did this time. Thanks for the helpful tips because my m&m cookies have never turned out prettier! 9 minutes was also perfect timing as well.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Both pretty and I’m sure delicious! I love how you showed the comparison between batches to give better suggestions for prettier cookies. The final batch are definitely the prettiest of the bunch. I love that the pink pops w/the chocolate cookie.