Cookie Dough Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes

I love ice cream. I mean I really love ice cream. Hubby loves it too. When we do our weekly shopping we always grab a pint for each of us. That’s our evening snack throughout the week. It seriously breaks my heart when I have to watch him eat amazing flavors like Ben and Jerry’s Cinnamon Roll or Caramel Sutra and I’m stuck with Soy dream something.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some decent dairy-free ice creams out there, but the texture just isn’t the same. Whether it’s made from tofu, rice, or soy, there’s always a grittiness and not as much creaminess. Sometimes I just suck it up and suffer through the pain of eating ice cream (even with Lactaid pills) because it’s just worth it sometimes. I decided that this blogging event was worth a stomach ache. And boy am I glad I did.

Hubby picked his favorite ice cream – cookie dough. I picked my favorite cupcake – chocolate. Together we made one amazing treat. When I was little, I used to love to take a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream and mix them together until it was one uniform bowl of mush. It always grossed my dad out, but it’s great. I added a layer of mush to my cupcakes as well and topped with some chocolate cream cheese frosting.

Here are the steps I took to make these treats:
Send hubby to the store for ice cream 🙂

Make my go-to chocolate cupcake. I filled the liners a little less than 1/2 full and baked for 8 minutes.

Once the cupcakes cooled, I popped the whole tray into the freezer and took out the ice cream.

Mix about 4 of the cupcakes with a couple scoops of ice cream. Using a spatula, spread some of the cake/ice cream mixture onto the cold cupcakes. Pop back into the freezer.

Using a spatula again, spread some of the softened ice cream into the top of the cupcake mixture and pop back into the freezer until ice cream is hard again.

Pipe my favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting (without the chili powder) on top of the ice cream.

Enjoy!!

11 Responses to “Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This looks like such a perfect gift! Are those your homemade marshmallows I spy in the mug?

Jen — December 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Of course they are! I seriously can’t justify buying marshmallows anymore. They’re just so easy and SO good homemade. I even whipped up a batch to put on our twice baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.

Blog is the New Black — December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I really wanted to do this this year for gifts but time escaped me. Looks great!

Boston Food Diary — December 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Soooo here’s the deal- A Boston Food Diary is going to look A LOT like Beantown Baker next week as I steal your recipes 🙂 Looks great Jen!

Megan — December 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Why have I never thought about doing this? It looks so easy and it definitely would give me an excuse to make some homemade marshmallows!

Danielle — December 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm

That looks like an amazing gift! Making a homemade hot cocoa would definetly save money. Thanks for the recipe(:

EliFla — December 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Ghirardelli cocoa is very good and your homemade hot cocoa mix …too!!! May you have a special merry Christmas!!!Hugs, Flavia

Meghan@travelwinedine — December 21, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have never thought of making my own cocoa mix OR marshmallows. I feel a winter project coming on. Looks delicious!

kitchenmisfit — December 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

I have had this bookmarked to make to some gifts for a couple of my girlfriends. So awesome and easy to make!

-Amanda

dana — December 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Loads of thanks to you. I can make everyone happy this Christmas. This recipe is even easy to follow.

innochkaskitchen — December 24, 2010 at 3:01 am

Yum! What a great holiday gift idea!