That’s FIERCE

When CB announced the “Is your cupcake fierce” blog event, I jumped all over it. I have been slacking in the blogging events this month (although in my defense, my key ingredient for CH still hasn’t come and I didn’t really have ~10 hrs to set aside to bake the DB bread this month).

In honor of the viewers choice designer on Project Runway, Christian, CB challenged us to make a fierce cupcake. I think my little guy is quite fierce. It looks like a normal old chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. BUT, when you bite into it, you find that it’s anything but ordinary. You’ll taste the peanut butter and chocolate combination first, and then the chili powder/paprika taste comes in at the end. Hubby thought the flavors were too intense and could only handle one bite (he’s not a big fan of chocolate – weird, I know). I on the other hand ate 2 in a row. I styled up a couple cupcakes with some chocolate “art” on top.

Be sure to tune in to the season finale of Project Runway on March 5th. It’s guaranteed to be fierce.

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes – adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take over The World – makes 12
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil – I used applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
12 mini PB cups

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake (do not press down – I pressed down and they all sank to the bottom). Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Dairy Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting – from FoodNetwork.com – I made a 1/2 batch and it frosted all 12 cupcakes (full batch listed below)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature – I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature – I used Earth Balance Natural margarine
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted

Using a handheld electric beater, cream the cream cheese and butter together thoroughly.

Add the chili power and cinnamon, mixing to incorporate.

Add the salt, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar.

Finally, mix in the melted chocolate and blend thoroughly until smooth.

If additional thickening is needed, add more sifted confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time, until a spreadable consistency is reached.

Fierce Cupcake Assembly
After the cupcakes have cooled, pipe frosting onto them.

Lightly dust with paprika.

Top with chocolate art (optional, directions below).

Chocolate “art”
I just kind of made this up as I went. If anyone has better ideas, let me know. First got my setup ready. I lined a cookie sheet with foil. I then crinkled the foil into waves (if that makes any sense). Then I took another piece of parchment paper and tore into strips (I made them triangle shapes strips). I laid the strips on the cookie sheet.

Then I melted some chocolate. I spooned a big dollup of chocolate onto the fat part of the strip. Using a spatula, I brushed the chocolate over the triangle. Once the traingles were all covered, I popped the tray into the fridge to let the chocolate set. The “waves” in the foil caused the strips of chocolate to have some movement to them. Once the chocolate was set, the chocolate peeled right off the parchment strips. And VOILA chocolate art to top your cupcakes with!

19 Responses to “Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting”

Megan — January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ll take any leftovers! They sound amazing. I keep saying dessert recipes with bacon and bookmarking them, but I haven’t tried any yet. Adding this one to the list now too. 🙂

ann — January 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These look so terrific. I love the flavor combinations!

Blog is the New Black — January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m intrigued!

KV — January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

interesting! I have a recipe for chocolate bacon fudge or maybe pb bacon fudge but I’m afraid to try it

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The frosting sounds amazing. I honestly still can’t bring myself to get behind bacon in desserts. Maybe someday I’ll try a bacon cupcake if I’m given one though. 🙂 I can only resist so long.

Jennifer — January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

YUM! These look so good! I haven’t tried the bacon / sweet combo yet, but I’m sure I would love it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks delicious but I’ve got to ask….what is a pirate party?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fun and Fearless – It’s exactly like it sounds… Everyone dresses up as a pirate (or something related – Hubby and I went as Treasure maps last year). They even hire this guy who looks like Captain Jack Sparrow to come and there’s a prize for best costume. One of the best parties of the year!

Cupcake Activist — January 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sounds great! The problem I’ve seen with bacon is that sometimes it is chewy in cupcakes. That’s not good. I like that this recipe says to cook until crispy. Extra crispy for me!

Laura and Alex — January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My favorite candy bar is bacon chocolate!!! I can’t wait to try this 🙂

Carrie — January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look and sound amazing!

Shannon — January 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh yum. after putting bacon in last years cookies this might need to be next 🙂

Corrine — January 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m so curious to try bacon in baked goods, but do you think turkey bacon would work?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Corrine – I’m sure turkey bacon would work if you could get it nice and crispy. I’ve heard that if the bacon isn’t super crispy, it has a really weird chewy texture in baked goods.

Corrine — January 14, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to give it a try!

Evan Thomas — January 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This has just about everything that I would want to go together. Awesome recipe!

Medifast Coupons — January 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is certianly a unqiue mixture of tastes and textures, but it comes together nicely. Definatly a must try!

darcyeats — January 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Chocolate..caramel…bacon…PERFECTION.
    I am infatuated with the perfect smoky/salty addition of bacon into sweet baked goods. So delicious. Of course, I’m kind of a fan of adding bacon into just about anything.
    Great pics, def wanna try these out!

kitchenmisfit — January 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Sorry the cupcakes didn’t turn out like you wanted. Have you ever tried the bacon/chocolate cupcake at Cherry Bomb Bakery in Brighton? They are fantastic!