Master Baker – Cinnamon!

I haven’t been baking or blogging much this month. Life in Boston has been cold and wet and work has been keeping me really busy. I have made over 5 dozen of these chocolate cupcakes that are AWESOME and so easy to make. We had friends in town, I had the flu one weekend and I attended a Vegan Cupcake baking class one weekend. So like I said, it’s been a busy month.

I wanted to participate in the first ever Master Baker blogging event. The rules are simple – bake something with the ingredient specified. I was in the mood for some cookies and these guys really hit the spot. They made the house smell delicious. I enjoyed a couple crumbled over ice cream and some warm homemade applesauce. YUM.

I followed the recipe exactly, except I used Egg Beaters since we didn’t have any eggs. I used my cookie scoop and got 36 cookies and they took the entire 12 minutes to bake. The dough looked like cinnamon ice cream. I wanted to eat it all without cooking it…

Cinnamon Cookies – recipe from Allrecipes.com – makes 36
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Cream together butter and sugar.

Mix in egg and molasses, blending well.

Mix flour, baking soda and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

(I chilled the dough for about 15 minutes in the fridge) Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

14 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes”

ttfn300 — May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

these look so fun! i, too, am LI, but i carry lactaid with me everywhere… and jp licks makes a lactose free flavor 🙂

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Lactaid is my best friend. I have spare pills in the car, in Hubby’s wallet, in my purse and desk. Can’t ever be too prepared! I have had their lactose free flavors and they’re quite tasty. I wish they had more than one a month though!

Sam — May 27, 2009 at 2:43 am

Ooooh. This looks too good. I’m gonna have to try that.

Stef — May 27, 2009 at 4:23 am

I love the idea of using the cone method for ice cream cupcakes. I hadn’t thought of that. That strawberry down the middle of the cupcake is so perfect! I’m so glad you entered again!

gaga — May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wouldn’t be able to live without ice cream! Your cupcakes are beautiful. Good luck in the competition!!!

Ingrid — May 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They look pretty! Love the photo of the cross section where you can see the strawberry.
    ~ingrid

Vegiegail — May 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Those cupcakes look scrumptious! Oh, and you’ve gotta try Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk Ice Cream! It’s rich and creamy, a lot like gelatto!

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Vegiegail – I’ll have to check that out.

Sara — June 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

So cute! These are so pretty with the strawberry in the middle and they look delicious.

paru's_circle — June 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

voted for your strawberry one..good luck!

Bethany — June 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

gorgeous. love the inset strawberry. love the Neapolitan theme.

bethany@scoopalicious

Shoshana — June 12, 2009 at 4:46 am

I agree with you about the non-dairy ice creams available in stores. However, If you have an ice cream maker vegan chick-0-stick ice cream is unbelievably rich, creamy and delicious.

Here is the recipe http://couldntbeparve.blogspot.com/2008/09/chick-o-stick-ice-cream_04.html

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hey, these cupcakes sound awesome! I use to be Lactose Int., but I found the best cure ever & seriously have been L.I. cured for 7 years. I could not give up my dairy & use to take 3 Lactaid every time I ate.I heard about “Lactogen” on the radio on the way home from a trip. I would do anything to get rid of my L.I. so it was $90.00 at the time so I said what the heck I spent $200.00 a year on Lactaid. I was floored that it worked & 7 years later still no signs. I drink milk every morning, cheese everyday, & ice cream when ever. It retrains your body to except lactose, so for 42 days while you take it (a mix to drink with water) you have to stay away from all dairy & anything with dairy in it. I just went to the health food store during that time. I am sure you can find it on the web. Lactogen is the name

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is my second post, it erased my first. But for all you suffering with Lactose Int. try Lactogen it really works I have been cured for going on 7 years now. It was only $90.00 when I tried it & I was spending $200 a year on Lactaid at the time. I now can drink milk every morning, & eat cheese every day & ice cream when ever. It is not an on going thing you take it once for 43 days & that is it.