Master Baker – Cinnamon!

I haven’t been baking or blogging much this month. Life in Boston has been cold and wet and work has been keeping me really busy. I have made over 5 dozen of these chocolate cupcakes that are AWESOME and so easy to make. We had friends in town, I had the flu one weekend and I attended a Vegan Cupcake baking class one weekend. So like I said, it’s been a busy month.

I wanted to participate in the first ever Master Baker blogging event. The rules are simple – bake something with the ingredient specified. I was in the mood for some cookies and these guys really hit the spot. They made the house smell delicious. I enjoyed a couple crumbled over ice cream and some warm homemade applesauce. YUM.

I followed the recipe exactly, except I used Egg Beaters since we didn’t have any eggs. I used my cookie scoop and got 36 cookies and they took the entire 12 minutes to bake. The dough looked like cinnamon ice cream. I wanted to eat it all without cooking it…

Cinnamon Cookies – recipe from – makes 36
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Cream together butter and sugar.

Mix in egg and molasses, blending well.

Mix flour, baking soda and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

(I chilled the dough for about 15 minutes in the fridge) Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

8 Responses to “Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Per usual, these look fantastic! Wishing you and C a Merry Christmas!

flourchild — December 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm

These look delicious and they are very festive! Normally peppermint recipes don’t really catch my eye, but I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks!

Daisy — December 24, 2010 at 4:52 pm

you taking full advantage of the peppermint chocolate combo in all forms is highly appreciated. These look delightful. Merry Christmas Jen!

nan — December 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Do you add the crushed peppermint before or after adding the chocolate chips?

• beantownbaker — December 17th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

At the same time that you add the chocolate chips. I’m updating the recipe to be more clear.

Taylor — December 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I was wondering if i could just do a second cup of regular sugar instead of the brown sugar? i am all out…

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:57 am

Hi Taylor. Sorry for not responding sooner, I was offline for the holidays. The brown sugar really enhances the texture of these cookies. If you have molasses, you can make your own brown sugar by mixing molasses and white sugar. Otherwise, go ahead and use all white, just be aware that they won’t be as soft and chewy. Happy Holidays!

April — December 16, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Do I need to adjust the recipe for my high altitude?