Clam Chowder

Now that we have cable, I’ve been watching a LOT of the Food network. My favorite shows are Good Eats (love AB!), Ace of Cakes, and Barefoot Contessa. I saw an episode called “Girls that Grill” and she made some amazing looking clam chowder. I’ve never made clam chowder, but saved the recipe as a favorite and planned to make it sometime this month.

What do you know, Dori blogged about the exact same chowder 2 days later. We must have seen the same episode. I followed her lower-fat version for my chowder and it was delicious. I served with a crusty bread and it was amazing. I will definitely be making this again! I bought the pre-cut tubs of clams from the seafood department at our grocery store. They looked like they had a lot of liquid in them, but they did not. I finished off the 4 cups with some chicken stock. Definitely next time, I’ll be sure to get clam juice.

East Hampton Clam Chowder (recipe from Dori – original recipe from Food Network) – makes ~10 servings10 tablespoons light butter, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
1 1/2 cups medium-diced celery (4-5 medium stalks)
1 1/2 cups medium-diced carrots (2 large carrots)
4 cups peeled medium-diced Yukon Gold potatoes (4 large potatoes) – I used 1 pkg mini-Yukon Gold potatoes and left the skin on
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups clam juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low-fat 2% milk – I used Silk Soymilk3 cups fresh, chopped clam strips (approx. 1 1/2 pounds)

Melt 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of the butter in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 more minutes. Add the clam juice, bring to a boil, and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

In a small pot, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and whisk in the flour. Cook over very low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in a cup of the hot broth from the pot and then pour this mixture back into the cooked vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes until the broth is thickened.

Add the milk and clams and heat gently for a few minutes to cook the clams. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot.

Yields 10-12 servings (1 serving = 1 heaping 1/2 cup)

WW info: 4 points per serving.

11 Responses to “Caramelized Butternut Squash”

Pam — November 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I have been loving Butternut Squash more than ever this season, myself! Your pictures are lovely, and making me hungry!

Lauren — November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I LOVE butternut squash… especially when roasted until slightly crisp on the outside. Your caramelized version looks great – I will need to add a touch of brown sugar and butter next time I make it.

Boston Food Diary — November 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

YUM!!! I started my butternut squash kick this weekend- this looks amazing!

Melissa — November 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I have a butternut squash from my CSA that I’m dying to cut into. I have a question though, how does one peel a butternut squash?

Jen — November 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Melissa – I like to use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel the skin off. You could do it with a knife, but I would be worried about cutting myself.

Julie — November 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like a fabulous way to prepare those squash. I’ll have to remember this for if we have another bumper crop next year!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jen, nice seeing you again yesterday. I usually roast my butternut squash with brown sugar too but I can’t believe I never thought of adding butter! I usually omit the salt and pepper because I like it very dessert-like, so I add cinnamon too 🙂

Paula — November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

what a great blog!
    here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
    Paula

Megan — November 16, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love butternut squash too. It’s definitely delicious with just a bit of brown sugar. Sometimes I go a bit overboard and roast it with a whole lot of butter, brown, sugar, and maple syrup.

theblogisthenewblack — November 16, 2010 at 2:46 am

This looks amazing! I love bn squash. I just made a fantastic soup, and now I want to carmelize it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This is such a simple way to cook butternut squash and yet SO delicious! I’m loving your butternut squash blog posts!